Home Forums Television Which is worse: the Bergen/Hunt dominance of the '90s or JLD's in the 2010s?

Which is worse: the Bergen/Hunt dominance of the '90s or JLD's in the 2010s?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
pulp50
Andrew Carden
Boidiva02
  • Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Many people feel that the constant dominance of these three women in their respective eras is overkill (especially JLD’s and Hunt’s considering that their wins in Comedy Lead Actress have been/were consecutive unlike Bergen’s). My question to you guys is which worse: the Bergen/Hunt dominance in the Comedy Lead Actress in the late 1980s/1990s or Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ dominance in the category during the 2010s?

Feel free to analyze episode submissions, buzz and other main factors into a nominee’s win or loss.

IEnjoyTV
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s also very different because of how the TV landscape has changed.

If you go through the list, these are the contenders who got hurt most by Hunt/Bergen:

Patricia Richardson – Home Improvement
    Cybill Shepherd – Cybill
    Fran Drescher – The Nanny
    Ellen DeGeneres – Ellen
    Jenna Elfman – Dharma & Greg
    Calista Flockhart – Ally McBeal

Meanwhile, JLD has mostly crushed just one person’s Emmy dreams (so far) and that happens to be Amy Poehler.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s weird because looking at the episodes I think Bergen only made a couple mistake in submissions (and lost each time) so I think that her run is the most impressive in my opinion. Hunt should have won for the Pilot and not the last win in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Hunt’s probably the worst offender. Horrible that she prevented so many contenders from winning, especially the iconic Calista Flockhart’s “Ally McBeal.” Bergen getting five wins might have been too much. All that sticks out in my mind is “Birth 101,” which is one of the best comedic episode tapes ever. JLD having five Emmys for “Veep” is serious overkill, and I think she’s prevented deserving women from winning as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Hunt’s probably the worst offender. Horrible that she prevented so many contenders from winning, especially the iconic Calista Flockhart’s “Ally McBeal.” Bergen getting five wins might have been too much. All that sticks out in my mind is “Birth 101,” which is one of the best comedic episode tapes ever. JLD having five Emmys for “Veep” is serious overkill, and I think she’s prevented deserving women from winning as well.

I think that Bergen’s final two wins were overkill. “It’s Just Like Riding a Bike” and “Requiem for a Dead Crew Guy” weren’t truly spectacular tapes, if I recall.

ReplyCopy URL
    pulp50
    Participant
    Topics:

Definitely Bergen and Hunt are worse, JLD is a marvel on Veep, while those other performances just don’t hold up as well today and they prevented more people from winning. Dreyfus has deserved everyone of her 5 emmys, even if it would have been nice to see Poehler get one, she should have won before Veep even started airing, Melissa McCarthy stole hers, not JLD.

ReplyCopy URL
    TerenceFletcher
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ wins are overkill. However, I would say she has gotten more deserving each subsequent year with comparison to the previous year. If I was taking away any of her wins it would be the first 2-3.

ReplyCopy URL
    aahoto
    Participant
    Topics:

Louis-Dreyfus has deserved each of her wins and I hope she wins more. She’s perfection in Veep.

I would hardly say her or Bergen/Hunt prevented anyone else winning – they are voted for. They can’t help being chosen by a panel or a majority vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

If you watch Veep regularly, you would know JLD deserves every Emmy she’s won. Before I started watching the show, I was completely baffled as to why she was consistently winning. But I could see why after I did. Her winning is in no way overkill.

Also, if Amy Poehler was better than JLD, she would’ve won. Leslie Knope is one of my favorite characters, but I wouldn’t rank her higher than Selina Meyer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

JLD because she stopped Lisa Kudrow from winning for her once in a lifetime performance as Valerie Cherish not once but twice! I hate her with passion now even though she’s great on Veep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Put simply, Candice Bergen and Helen Hunt were terrific in Murphy Brown and Mad About You respectively and deserved all those wins. Julia Louis-Dreyfus was probably okay in the first season and I could see her getting a few wins but the fact that she keeps winning when there are so many other actresses, most notably Amy Poehler in Parks and Rec (an actual funny performance all the way through), get the shaft in favour of the same Louis-Dreyfus shtick that worked extremely well in Seinfeld (I love Seinfeld) and well in The New Adventures of Old Christine. Give Ellie Kemper an Emmy because she is amazing in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve watched every single episode of “Veep,” so that’s no qualifier to simply “know” that JLD deserves all of her Emmys for that show when she doesn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

JLD because she stopped Lisa Kudrow from winning for her once in a lifetime performance as Valerie Cherish not once but twice! I hate her with passion now even though she’s great on Veep.

Laughs. Everyone has a Hilary Swank. Kathy Bates bested Julia Roberts twice. Once for an Oscar the other an Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t going to post in this thread because I find it stupid, but…

Amy Poehler in Parks and Rec (an actual funny performance all the way through),

You speak as if 1) to win, Best Actress in a Comedy Series the actress has to deliver a funny performance, which is nonsense; Felicity Huffman is highly deserving of her win; 2) JLD does not give a funny performance — I understand that many Americans don’t get the humor in Veep (Parks and Rec certainly is more accessible!), but boy, do I feel sorry for you! You’re missing out on a comedic performance for the ages.

get the shaft in favour of the same Louis-Dreyfus shtick that worked extremely well in Seinfeld (I love Seinfeld) and well in The New Adventures of Old Christine

I love to read criticism of Veep and JLD because it makes me more assured that both are indeed brilliant. If that’s the best you got to criticize her performance, you should just keep it to yourself. You don’t even have to like any of these shows to knows these performances are nothing alike.

Give Ellie Kemper an Emmy because she is amazing in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.

Kemper shouldn’t even get nominated for UKS. Her performance is an unoriginal interpretation of the performance Fey would’ve given in that role — ultimately just a Fey impression, to keep it simple. The Academy was right to have snubbed her for the first season; a shame they fell for that the second time around.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve watched every single episode of “Veep,” so that’s no qualifier to simply “know” that JLD deserves all of her Emmys for that show when she doesn’t.

Clearly also not a qualifier to “know” otherwise!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
Reply To: Which is worse: the Bergen/Hunt dominance of the '90s or JLD's in the 2010s?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.