Home Forums Television Which pre-1990 TV series deserves a reboot? Golden Girls? Mission: Impossible? Bewitched?

Which pre-1990 TV series deserves a reboot? Golden Girls? Mission: Impossible? Bewitched?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Tom O’Neil
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Would you like to see any of these classics retooled, recast and reborn? Or a different series?

The Golden Girls
    I Spy
    Taxi

Mission: Impossible
    All in the Family

My Favorite Martian

Run for Your Life

The FBI

Hill Street Blues

Bewitched

Moonlighting

KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

None. Hire fresh young writers with original ideas. Take risks and don’t play it safe or we’ll end up with this boring season of shows we got this year 

ReplyCopy URL
    Montrell Seay
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with Kyle with the exception of MAYBE Mission:Impossible and Moonlighting.   NEVER attempt to remake the Golden Girls as a comedy.   The cast is too iconic.   I would feel for any actress cast in it.  
    As an aside, I always thought that Golden Girls could work as a drama as well   Or this new drama/comedy hybrid.   Many interesting angles and serious topics could be broached.   Poignant, clever and (a little) sassy writing could make this work.   So many great actresses would be chomping at the bits for such a meaty role (Betty White as Sofia!)  that celebrates growing older with dignity, humor…..and a slice of cheesecake.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I think a golden girl spinoff/reboot could be fun. Get betty to reprise her role as Rose an have a member of her family move in, a member of Blanches family move in, and a member of Dortohy’s family move in and keep the smartness of the original show and we got  a hit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

Well of the ones listed Moonlighting seems like a logical choice.   I don’t think you even need Bruce Willis or Cybill Shepherd either. It could very easily be rebooted with a new cast. 

All In The Family is one I’ve heard is actually in very early development with Norman Lear attached.   I think it could work if updated for modern day with current issues. I’m hearing Lear intends to have a Latino family at the center of the show.

One show I think NEEDS to be rebooted is Designing Women.   We are really missing a series as socially concsious as DW was and that had characters you really cared about and rooted for.    It seems like it would be a fairly easy update too; replace one of the woman with a gay man, replace Anthony with a Lesbian and you have a modern day take on the show.  If you want to focus on race, have one of the characters be black or latino.   Seeing as the show is set in Atlanta, it would make sense to have a primarily black cast with only 1 white person in the cast.  A reverse of the original show.    In all these years many of the issues DW discussed are still relevant.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

One more idea, A Different World, the spin-off from The Cosby Show. I think that show should be rebooted. A show about a historically black college is really needed today. I think it would be a massive hit if launched today.   They could even make it a single camera show to reflect today’s tastes. 

I also think Cheers could be rebooted fairly easily too.  A show set in a bar, perhaps with a new location to easily set it apart from the original.    

ReplyCopy URL
    Montrell Seay
    Participant
    Topics:

I totally agree with A Different World.   It would be a great show to reboot.  If not on a major network, then at least BET or TV1.   They could use fresh comedies.

But with the issues surrounding Cosby would make this one a tough sale.  Anything remotely associated with him is considered tarnished and risky by many advertisers 

ReplyCopy URL
    SupaDupa Fly
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m all for a Different World reboot. Long as its not on BET. They don’t know what to do with TV shows. I wish Being Mary Jane would get moved to another network.

ReplyCopy URL
    DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

I would reboot a series that had a good premise but was not well-executed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

Wasn’t Hot in Cleavland basically The Golden Girls.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

I need some new primetime soap in the veins of “Melrose Place” campy madness.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jw79bull
    Participant
    Topics:

How about make some funny NEW comedy’s….

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Wasn’t Hot in Cleavland basically The Golden Girls.

You beat me to it! Hot In Cleveland was de facto a Golden Girls reboot, but it was smart in not replicating those iconic characters. Sure, it was easy to draw character-to-character comparisons (Joy = Dorothy, Victoria = Blanche, Melanie = Rose, Elka = Sophia), but they were each unique enough in their own right and the series benefited from capturing the terrific chemistry of the ensemble like the original. As a tremendous fan of The Golden Girls I would be very weary of an actual reboot.

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

The Love Boat could be rebooted pretty easy.   Just make it more of a drama than a comedy and I think it could work. Kinda like “Las Vegas” except on a boat. 

If they want to reboot a soap I’d say Falcon Crest because it could easily stand on its own w/out all the cultural baggage associated with Melrose Place or Dynasty.   

And Quantum Leap could and should be remade. I think with the new technology available today this could become one hell of a show. 

Lastly, I think Night Court could be updated in a rather easy manner. I picture it having a female lead (somebody like Amy Poehler maybe) and the requisite “romance” (like Harry and Christine) could involve a female judge falling for a male lawyer.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

I totally agree with A Different World.   It would be a great show to reboot.  If not on a major network, then at least BET or TV1.   They could use fresh comedies.

But with the issues surrounding Cosby would make this one a tough sale.  Anything remotely associated with him is considered tarnished and risky by many advertisers 

Fair point about Cosby. I think however it would be easy to get around.  You simply don’t have him involved in the new program and you emphasis in marketing that it is a show about a black college. You hire a producer or writer with a strong vision like Debbie Allen had who could overshadow any of the issues with Cosby.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: Which pre-1990 TV series deserves a reboot? Golden Girls? Mission: Impossible? Bewitched?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.