Home Forums Television Which snubbed 2016 drama supporting actress is moving on up?

Which snubbed 2016 drama supporting actress is moving on up?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
J H
Bebe
Which snubbed 2016 drama supporting actress is moving on up?
Uzo Aduba, 'Orange is the New Black'
Neve Campbell, 'House of Cards'
Linda Cardellini, 'Bloodline'
Carly Chaikin, 'Mr. Robot'
Regina King, 'The Leftovers'
Paula Malcomson, 'Ray Donovan'
Rhea Seehorn, 'Better Call Saul'
Maggie Siff, 'Billions'
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Say that Sophie Turner and Joanne Froggatt were next in line last year.  Whoever was ninth last year starts in third this year because of all of the ineligibility.  It is certainly possible that the four open slots are filled by four actresses from new shows or people switching categories as many are predicting, but if one of the open slots goes to someone who was among the next in line last year or if one of them moves up slightly ahead of Maura Tierney or Constance Zimmer, who will it be?

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Uzo Aduba: She is the obvious choice because she is the only one of the poll options who has been nominated before, but there is no good excuse for her snub last year.  People being snubbed after winning a tape vote or a passion vote makes sense because of the different voting systems, but Uzo Aduba won the one year that the winners were decided by consensus.  That she could go from being the consensus first choice one year to not even being one of the top-six consensus choices the next year tells me that she is done.

Neve Campbell: House of Cards got the most acting nominations last year and was nominated in every category but supporting actress.  In no other category did Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey take up a combined three or four slots.  Also helping Campbell is that this is her second year on the show, so people are more familiar with her now; Michael Kelly was snubbed the first couple years.  Hurting Campbell is the arrival of Patricia Clarkson, so the House of Cards vote is split, unlike last year.  Character actress bonus.

Linda Cardellini: Bloodline keeps defying expectations.  Nobody expected Ben Mendelsohn to come back last year and even fewer expected him to win.  Then it won the Casting Society over Game of Thrones.  That they have gone with Mendelsohn and Kyle Chandler twice, while snubbing Beau Bridges and Sam Shepard, makes me think that if a supporting actress is going to break through on a final season wave, it is going to be Linda Cardellini and not Sissy Spacek.  Character actress bonus.

Carly Chaikin: People took Christian Slater’s snub last year as the Emmys not really liking the show, but Rami Malek did win and it did get a series nomination.  Maybe he was snubbed because he did not deserve it?  By the same token, Chaikin would be nominated this year because she was a borderline lead.  What holds me back more than anything is her age.  She would not be the first 1990s-born nominee in this category because Maisie Williams broke through last year, but Mr. Robot is not Game of Thrones and she is the exception, not the rule.

Regina King: This mostly just comes down to how big of a splash you think that The Leftovers is going to make for its final season.  Beloved character actress bonus.

Paula Malcomson: Ray Donovan got a record five total nominations last year, including its first acting win.  Malcomson has a cancer storyline this year, so can she build on their unexpected showing last year?  Character actress bonus.

Rhea Seehorn: They snubbed Michael McKean too.  I do not see this happening.

Maggie Siff: She was variably seen as the standout of what was supposed to be a vehicle for Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis (with a Satellite nomination to show for it).  Character actress bonus.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Uzo Aduba: She is the obvious choice because she is the only one of the poll options who has been nominated before, but there is no good excuse for her snub last year. People being snubbed after winning a tape vote or a passion vote makes sense because of the different voting systems, but Uzo Aduba won the one year that the winners were decided by consensus. That she could go from being the consensus first choice one year to not even being one of the top-six consensus choices the next year tells me that she is done. Neve Campbell: House of Cards got the most acting nominations last year and was nominated in every category but supporting actress. In no other category did Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey take up a combined three or four slots. Also helping Campbell is that this is her second year on the show, so people are more familiar with her now; Michael Kelly was snubbed the first couple years. Hurting Campbell is the arrival of Patricia Clarkson, so the House of Cards vote is split, unlike last year. Character actress bonus. Linda Cardellini: Bloodline keeps defying expectations. Nobody expected Ben Mendelsohn to come back last year and even fewer expected him to win. Then it won the Casting Society over Game of Thrones. That they have gone with Mendelsohn and Kyle Chandler twice, while snubbing Beau Bridges and Sam Shepard, makes me think that if a supporting actress is going to break through on a final season wave, it is going to be Linda Cardellini and not Sissy Spacek. Character actress bonus. Carly Chaikin: People took Christian Slater’s snub last year as the Emmys not really liking the show, but Rami Malek did win and it did get a series nomination. Maybe he was snubbed because he did not deserve it? By the same token, Chaikin would be nominated this year because she was a borderline lead. What holds me back more than anything is her age. She would not be the first 1990s-born nominee in this category because Maisie Williams broke through last year, but Mr. Robot is not Game of Thrones and she is the exception, not the rule. Regina King: This mostly just comes down to how big of a splash you think that The Leftovers is going to make for its final season. Beloved character actress bonus. Paula Malcomson: Ray Donovan got a record five total nominations last year, including its first acting win. Malcomson has a cancer storyline this year, so can she build on their unexpected showing last year? Character actress bonus. Rhea Seehorn: They snubbed Michael McKean too. I do not see this happening. Maggie Siff: She was variably seen as the standout of what was supposed to be a vehicle for Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis (with a Satellite nomination to show for it). Character actress bonus.

I want Uzo back but I’m not predicting it. I think part of it is that I want OITNB back so bad that I’m convincing myself it won’t get in, so that if it doesn’t, I’ll be okay, but if it does I’ll be the happiest person in the world. Maggie Siff should have been nominated for Mad Men. I doubt she’ll get in. Rhea Seahorn won’t get in. Neither will King. I really don’t think Cardellini can get in. The show has been cancelled and it’s airing so close to the deadline the voters won’t watch it. She’s. It a namecheck. I don’t even remember Neve Campbell lol. I remember her but I don’t think she can get in. I am convinced Chakin and Malcomson will get in. They know Malcomson. They watch the show. She acts her butt off and is good too. Chaikin was the season standout and I think she will be on the radar after she gets nominated at the TCA. I honestly don’t want people to predict Malcomson because I am confident she will get nominated and I want to look smart.

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

siff should’ve been guest for mm.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bebe
    Participant
    Topics:

As much as I love “Bloodline” (more than most people here), I don’t see Cardellini getting a nom, especially if Sissy Spacek couldn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I should have done the poll without Uzo Aduba.  It is disappointing that she is getting so many votes and even more so because nobody has defended the pick.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s just obvious that of the names listed Aduba is most likely.

I don’t even know why Neve Campbell is listed- she does nothing and if Molly Parker couldn’t get in for seasons 2/3 Campbell won’t. As you said, King (maybe Tyler/Brenneman) could if The Leftovers has a truly amazing season, and Chaikin is the other (very unlikely) candidate.

ReplyCopy URL
    IEnjoyTV
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this poll needs Danielle Brooks, who I am pretty sure is going to get in this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Which snubbed 2016 drama supporting actress is moving on up?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.