Home Forums Television Why was Arrested Development snubbed at the 2013 Emmys?

Why was Arrested Development snubbed at the 2013 Emmys?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Icky
Macbeth
dude93
  • dude93
    Topics:

Considering the weak line up of comedies nominated at last year’s Emmys, I still can’t understand how Arrested didn’t make it in – the show itself, and the solid, funny supporting performances of Jeffrey Tambor, Will Arnett and Jessica Walter. What do people think? Each would have had a decent shot at winning too, especially considering the supporting actor/actress standard last year. Also, if Tony Hale had submitted for Arrested instead of Veep, would he still have been nommed? 

Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

I just don’t know if the voters were willing to embrace it like they did a decade ago. It wasn’t the show’s best season, but it was a welcome return for the fans of the show.

I think also the fact that each episode focused on someone different hurt it – there was problems with who will be lead/supporting, so I think that was maybe why no supporting performers got in

It is shocking that only Jason Bateman got in, because I would have preferred it if Will Arnett and David Cross got in. Tony Hale would not have been nominated if he submitted for AD, but he would have if he submitted for Veep – then we would have had one of the most interesting races in recent Emmy history. Don’t even get me started on Jessica Walter – she should have had an Emmy with her name engraved on it as far as I am concerned. 

I am just not sure how the voters felt about the show coming back. Maybe they were just too unfamiliar with the show to understand the fourth season. But who knows? If they return for a fifth season, they should get in with Netflix becoming much bigger at the Emmys 

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

If Arnett or Cross had gone lead with Bateman, I think we might have seen more AD men get in. Doris Roberts stole Walter’s Emmy in 2005, but she definitely should have been nominated last year too. Yes, maybe the fact that Modern Family kind of took over where Arrested stopped, hurt the show in a way. 

ReplyCopy URL
    CanadianFan
    Participant
    Topics:

The easy answer is that voters only watched the first two or three episodes before quitting the show. 

That explains Bateman’s nom and the rest of the cast’s snubs. Furthermore, there is a theory that this occurred with House of Cards last year because most of the nominations were for the pilot, and Corey Stoll (arguably the best performance from the first season) was snubbed. Maybe voters only sample a few episodes on Netflix before casting their vote…

Also, it wasn’t their strongest season, and it didn’t really come together until the final two episodes — the structure definitely hurt it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Roberts didn’t “steal” Walter’s Emmy because the latter’s submission wasn’t very good.

AD had all the hype in the world leading to season four’s unveiling. But then the general reaction ranged from meh to will-do to this is a mixed bag. The season was always gonna have to be well received to get its fair share of nods. Netflix’s selections for the FYC DVD as well as the submissions for writing and directing were questionable. I also think some voters were uncomfortable rewarding a possible one and done season outside of miniseries/movie.

I didn’t expect it to almost get skunked, but I wasn’t surprised by the lack of love. 

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

She did steal it. She had three Emmys at that point, and Walters had the best tape in that shortlist that year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I almost always get annoyed when people use words like “steal” when it comes to awards. 

Walters’ tape lacked range, the great one-liners we usually get from that character, and her arc didn’t really belong to her. She played a supporting role in her own storyline. It wasn’t good enough. I’m more upset that she didn’t get the nod for season one where she had the episodes to compete for the win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Because the whole fourth season was awful from the beginning until the very end.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tonbone
    Participant
    Topics:

Jessica Walters played drunk. How does someone not win for playing drunk??

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Netflix did not do any favors by releasing all of the episodes at once at the end of May 2013. 

I do agree that voters probably only watched the first few episodes and then bailed.  The better episodes were in the middle to the end of the series of episodes.  Jessica Walter and Will Arnett should have been nominated and won last year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Jessica Walters played drunk. How does someone not win for playing drunk??

People frequently win in comedy while playing drunk because that usually equates to speeches, physical comedy and showy, emotional moments. All of which Walter’s tape lacked. Drinking a lot isn’t really “playing drunk” at least in the realm of Emmys.

I think fans are slighty kidding themselves by believing the iffyness if the first few episodes and the release at the end of May were the main reasons it didn’t get that many nods, though that didn’t help its cause. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

First of all, nobody stole anything from Walter. I don’t recall if that was a two tape or single tape year for submissions, but I know she submitted Motherboy XXX which wasn’t a very good tape (or episode). She couldn’t beat Roberts with that. Roberts didn’t steal anything regardless of her having one Emmy or three at that point.

If you want to talk about stealing, talk about voters stealing nominations for seasons 1 and 3.

I don’t think Netflix knew what they were doing in terms of Emmys, they should’ve known what they had in terms of quality and released it earlier, giving people more time to digest it, instead of throwing every episode out like they did at the end of may. The initial buzz wasn’t very good and I’m sure many people went with those first few episodes and decided not to include them. That first batch is pretty much were all the season’s problems are. Every actor must have suffered from that as I’m sure very few voters went in and binge watched, so obvious nominees like Cross, Walter and Arnett didn’t have anything worthy to show for themselves until halfway through the season.

Of course they went with Bateman. If you want to throw out “movie star”, it’s a valid point, but the main reason is that that category has always been very weak so I doubt anybody was shocked or didn’t predict him. I’m sure that name had a very easy time getting into the category. He even went all the way to the Globes and SAG. That’s how weak the category always is.

I don’t see how there was any confusion on who was lead and who wasn’t since everybody else was submitted supporting…so that’s the end of that theory.

The lack of writing nominations was also very easy to understand, they simply didn’t choose their best or funniest episode. End of story on that one.

I don’t think the overall quality of the season was the problem. The show’s fame and the buzz of it coming back would have been enough, but those first few episodes hurt them and had more people seen or been aware of how good it got with Arnett, Cross, Hale and Walter’s episodes and how they maintained a better quality through the end, they could’ve made it in. The second half was better than most of the nominees including Girls, Modern Family and Big Bang. I’m sure they could’ve taken out Girls, for example, with a better first couple of episodes.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

At least David Cross and Jessica Walter deserved some love. The show should have had Louie’s slot for an eh season 3. I liked it overall and the format was something new but I hope we get Season 5 

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

The show should have had Louie’s slot for an eh season 3.  

Louie had an amazing year in Season 3! It may not have been as good as Season 1 and Season 2, but C.K. took it to places no show has ever gone before. The Late Show arc was just divine, and David Lynch should have gotten into Comedy Guest Actor and beaten Bob Newhart without a doubt.

Arrested Development should have gotten in over The Big Bang Theory easily. But it would have been difficult to pick tapes, as episodes are dependant on each other. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Jalal Haddad
    Participant
    Topics:

I honestly just think that the voters didn’t watch it. Netflix released it at the end of the eligibility period and confused critics initially were not in love with it. At first even some of AD’s hardcore fans didn’t love it. It was the type of season that was going to take time to set in for people to fully appreciate it and even then a lot of Rilke still don’t even like it. I think the main reasons Bateman received a nomination were name-checking, being placed towards the beginning of the ballot, and submitting in a less competing category.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Why was Arrested Development snubbed at the 2013 Emmys?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.