Will Amy Poehler finally win an Emmy in 2014

Home // Forums // Television // Will Amy Poehler finally win an Emmy in 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • dude93
    Topics:

Poehler’s GG win was such a shock to me, I have to say. I just didn’t believe that someone could win that late into their run. Funny how Poehler finally got her Golden Globe as soon as Fey’s series ended its run… And very impressive that she beat Julia Louis-Dreyfus who IMO has the strongest role of current working TV comedy actresses.

Although I know the Emmys go by episodes, I’m wondering will Poehler finally win her Emmy this year, now that perhaps Fey is out of that competition too? Because of the whole episodes thing, I think Louis-Dreyfus still has the best shot; she always seems to have the meatiest episodes for comedy, and I’ve always said that Selina Meyer is a multiple Emmy-winning role. It will be interesting.

Side note/question: How do the Globes vote on these TV series/actors – if not by single episodes, how do they judge performances? Do they just vote for their favorite regardelss of who they’ve seen, or do they try to watch as many episodes as possible, or what…? 

BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

You do realize the first thing that needs to come to mind here is that she was the host for the second year in a row and already commited to next year, right? And that this is the Golden Globes we’re talking about…

She has a shot at an Emmy since her “overdue” factor continues and she might get a great episode to submit, but there’s no need to think this Globe win means anything, since the reason why she won is so clearly explainable. Had she not been the host: 1. She might not even be nominated, 2. The show most certainly would not have been nominated and 3. She wouldn’t have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I agree. The Globe was a thank you for the hosting. This won’t have any impact on the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

I would’ve thought so too 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ghost
    Topics:

Her Globe win won’t impact the Emmy race, it’ll all come down to submissions.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

The Emmys and Golden Globes so rarely overlap…

Since 2000s alone

Emmys:
    Patricia Heaton
    Debra Messing
    Felicity Huffman
    Edie Falco
    Melissa McCarthy
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus (both TNAOOC and Veep) 

Golden Globes:
    Teri Hatcher
    Mary-Louise Parker
    Laura Linney
    Laura Dern
    Lena Dunham 
    and now Amy Poehler

Both:
    Sarah Jessica Parker
    Jennifer Aniston 
    America Ferrera
    Tina Fey
    Toni Collette 

Out of 17 performers (18 roles), only 5 won both GGs and Emmys. It’s possible that Poehler will win the Emmy but in the end she’ll probably suffer similar fate to Steve Carell – possible frontrunner till the end but ultimately no win but GG thrown in for good measure. Can’t you see it? Both Carell and Poehler had their best shots for season 3 of their respective shows, only to lose to underdogs (that being Ricky Gervais and Melissa McCarthy, respectively) and then keep losing to repeated winner from acclaimed new hit (Alec Baldwin and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, respectively) and then new darling(s) (Jim Parsons and “Actress Yet To Be Determined”, as well respectively). Look how Gervais/McCarthy were dropped much earlier than Carell/Poehler. It’s basically the same history with different “cast”. If this pattern won’t fullfill itself, I’ll be shocked.

And the fact that she won just after Tina Fey was gone is certainly not accidental. I bet Fey always got a fair share of votes as presumbly the funniest of the bunch that would otherwise go to Poehler. I think Amy might win Emmy for acting in something else or maybe even hosting these Globes earlier than for P&R that certainly already peaked – if not earlier, then today – and won’t be any hotter. I’m very happy for her and would love to be proved wrong in September though. She needs to have an Emmy (as Will Arnett does [and countless other people but everybody knows why I mentioned him]).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

The factors listed on this thread are true.
    Also, the Globes really like spreading the wealth, and she/Zooey were the only category actresses who hadn’t won a Globe during their career. The Emmys love repeats.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t care if it was partly due to her hosting. She’s been overlooked for years, and it’s about damn time she finally won something. I hope she wins the Emmy too, but they love Julia Louis-Dreyfus too much to consider anyone else, regardless of episode submission.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is unstoppable at the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

No. She’ll either lose to Julia Louis-Dreyfus or Anna Faris.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Lol. Anna Farris. Are you serious? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Kathy Bates
    Jon Cryer
    Jon Cryer
    Melissa McCarthy
    Jim Parsons
    Jim Parsons
    Jim Parsons

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Kathy Bates
    Jon Cryer
    Jon Cryer
    Melissa McCarthy
    Jim Parsons
    Jim Parsons
    Jim Parsons

Bob Newhart

Allison Janney will likely join that list.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Yeah but Anna Faris vs Julia Louis-Dreyfus is just plain stupid.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I don’t like the “multicams are always trash” mentality. Faris was one of 2013’s best comedic performances between females, and she is a true comedienne in every sense of the word.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Will Amy Poehler finally win an Emmy in 2014

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.