Home Forums Television Year-End Critics’ Top Ten Lists 2013

Year-End Critics’ Top Ten Lists 2013

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 364 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey guys, does anyone know what happened to the 2012 thread?  I saw people commenting on it just an hour ago, but it appears to have disappeared.  Did someone accidentally delete it?  A lot of work went into that and there was some good discussion going on.  I just checked all of the sub-forums and it looks like it was not moved either.

Anyway, this is earlier than I was planning and I am hoping to start up a dedicated website for this topic, but since there is interest now to discuss this topic (and the thread that was being used an hour ago is gone), here is a new thread!  There is no poll this year for what will take the top spot because we already know what it will be.  As with the last few years, I will aggregate best-of lists from critics who are at least somewhat reputable.

There is early interest because for many, the quality television season is over.  I know that if I had to make my top ten list right now, no series from this last quarter would place on it.  I am hoping that Masters of Sex, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and/or The Crazy Ones steps it up to boot Mad Men‘s sixth season from my bottom slot.

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

My apologies for not actually finishing last year’s aggregate.  Real
    life got in the way; HitFix thankfully stepped up, so we do not have a
    gap year, although it is a bit inconsistent with other years because
    they were not as comprehensive.

2012 (44 lists):
    1. Breaking Bad (355 points, 42 lists, 11 top)
    2. Homeland (264 points, 36 lists, 7 top)
    3. Mad Men (251 points, 35 lists, 9 top)
    4. Louie (164 points, 25 lists, 2 top)
    5. Game of Thrones (138 points, 21 lists)
    6. Girls (132 points, 27 lists, 1 top)
    7. The Walking Dead (106 points, 16 lists, 3 top)
    8. Parks and Recreation (91 points, 17 lists, 2 top)
    9. Downton Abbey (79 points, 15 lists, 1 top)
    10. Sherlock (66 points, 10 lists, 2 top)

2011 (89 lists, 16 unranked):
    1. Breaking Bad (503 points, 72 lists, 22 top)
    2. Homeland (352 points, 59 lists, 11 top)
    3. Game of Thrones (317 points, 58 lists, 5 top)
    4. Parks and Recreation (272 points, 51 lists, 6 top)
    5. Community (248 points, 43 lists, 6 top)
    6. Louie (222 points, 44 lists, 5 top)
    7. Downton Abbey (197 points, 39 lists, 2 top)
    8. Justified (193 points, 45 lists, 2 top)
    9. The Walking Dead (144 points, 30 lists, 1 top)
    10. Friday Night Lights (140 points, 29 lists, 3 top)

2010 (96 lists, 13 unranked):
    1. Mad Men (525 points, 73 lists, 19 top)
    2. Breaking Bad (427 points, 58 lists, 15 top)
    3. Community (282 points, 48 lists, 5 top)
    4. Modern Family (231 points, 46 lists, 3 top)
    5. Boardwalk Empire (211 points, 50 lists)
    6. Terriers (198 points, 32 lists, 5 top)
    7. Lost (196 points, 37 lists, 7 top)
    8. The Walking Dead (186 points, 39 lists, 3 top)
    9. Parks and Recreation (183 points, 32 lists)
    10. Friday Night Lights (181 points, 30 lists, 6 top)

2000–2009 decade (33 lists):
    1. The Wire (240 points)
    2. The Sopranos (230 points)
    3. Lost (171 points)
    4. Arrested Development (136 points)
    5. Mad Men (132 points)
    6. The Office (UK 104 points)
    7. The Daily Show (86 points)
    8. Deadwood (76 points)
    9. Six Feet Under (59 points)
    10. 24 (42 points)

2008 (21 lists):
    1. Mad Men (160 points)
    2. Lost (122 points)
    3. 30 Rock (111 points)
    4. The Wire (87 points)
    5. The Shield (86 points)
    6. The Office (48 points)
    7. Dexter (47 points)
    8. Battlestar Galactica (31 points)
    9. Pushing Daisies (30 points)
    10. Breaking Bad (25 points)

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It will not even be close for Breaking BadGame of Thrones should be solid for second place since it won best drama from both critics groups.  I never really heard anything but praise for Orange is the New Black, so that is my guess for third.  The sixth season of Mad Men
    is either the second or third largest disparity in opinion between the
    critics and Gold Derby that I have witnessed, so I think that it will
    still do well at fourth place.  (The other two are the first seasons of The Crazy Ones and Boardwalk Empire.)  The Americans led the TCA nominations, so that should round out the top five.

Masters of Sex is not beloved, but it is airing at the right time.  Parks and Recreation should benefit from a lack of quality
    sitcoms on the air: I feel like the critics will go out of their way to
    recognize a token comedy.  House of Cards has the narrative.  The Walking Dead has somehow never missed the top ten, so it will be in the lower half again; the ratings success story helps.  They gave Homeland
    second place last year, even though that included the second half of
    the second season, although we should acknowledge that printing
    deadlines and a desire to be “first!” prevented the later episodes of
    the season to factor into some of their lists.  Homeland is running out of goodwill, but it has enough to rank in the top ten.

Watch out for unexpected support for Downton Abbey, especially since this will
    mostly be for the third instead of fourth season.  In the 2012 thread, Icky mentioned Enlightened, but I think that if that had real support, it would have gotten some critics’ nominations.  probablyROB mentioned Justified, but I think that the critics have largely moved on from that show.  Denis mentioned Southland, but that has never had broad support.  Does anyone want to repost their thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    jay eff kay
    Topics:

I agree that Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones being #1 and #2. Third place should be Masters of Sex followed by Orange if the New Black and Justified rounding out the top 5. #6-#10 could be a mixture of Mad Men, Veep, Enlightened, Orphan Black, House of Card, The Americans, Good Wife, Broadchurch, and Rectified. I think since The Returned was released last year, it will be disqualified

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey guys, does anyone know what happened to the 2012 thread?  I saw people commenting on it just an hour ago, but it appears to have disappeared.  Did someone accidentally delete it?  A lot of work went into that and there was some good discussion going on.  I just checked all of the sub-forums and it looks like it was not moved either.

I was in the middle of posting a reply and poof the thread disappeared. Blah.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The wild cards are Behind the Candelabra and Top of the LakeThe Good Wife should be close, but it has never made it in before.

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll repeat my comment from the missing thread and say The Big Bang Theory might rank high on the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope The Good Wife makes it on to the list this year. The end of last season and beginning of this one has been well reviewed and would be my second favourite show behind Breaking Bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I just like using Metacritic’s aggregate. I think I glanced at Hitifix’s once just because someone linked it.

Let’ see MC vs. the ones tdh put up:
    2012 – Cranston, Hamm, Danes, CK, Dunham, Zombies
    vs.  Cranston, Danes and Hamm swapping, CK, Dragons jumping ahead of Dunham and Zombies

2011 – Cranston, Danes, British people, Poehler, Dragons/CK
    vs. Cranston, Danes, Dragons jumping ahead of 2 others again, Poehler, Community>CK, British people bumped down a couple

2010 – Hamm, Cranston, Scorsese, Community/Modern, Margulies
    vs.  Hamm, Cranston, Scorsese falling behind the comedy duo, Margulies being pushed down by a bunch of others

Decade – Gandolfini, Wire, Arrested, Hamm, Lost, Jon Stewart
    vs. T2 swap, Lost moving up a few, Jon and Office swapping

So the main thing I get a sense of is that if you scroll the Internet and accumulate as many lists as possible, acclaimed sci-fi/fantasy shows get a stronger foothold i.e. Lost/Game of Thrones. That makes sense, given who the loudest Internet fans are. I’ll continue using MC as the most accurate measure of critics, and/or TCA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem with Metacritic is that they award three points for first place, two points for second place and then one point for third through tenth place.  Third place should not be synonymous with tenth place if you ask me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I personally think maybe even getting a boost for 2nd place is too much. Esp when there are a bunch of critics who think they’re too good to rank their top 10 lists. 

I clicked on your link and you count 1 point for every show on an unranked list when you give, say, 5 points for 6th place, which seems iffier to me. If I were to accumulate a list and felt the need to assign a point value for rankings 1-10, I would give every show on a totally unranked list 5.5 points so the total would be 55 points just like a ranked list…but I wouldn’t assign values for 1-10 in the first place.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I am not really the one who assigns the values on a ranked list, though.  The critic who ranked the list did that.  Awarding 5.5 points to items on unranked lists could artificially inflate shows, but awarding a single point to items on unranked lists recognizes them without the possibility of giving something excessive weight.  The bottom line is that if you just go by counting how many lists something appears on, you will theoretically get a good idea of what people like, but I am trying to find out what people consider to be the best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Like I said in the previous thread the lists this year will be extremely varied. So, determining beyond the top five or six is very difficult. Enlightened may be on only 1/4 of the lists, but it’ll likely be high on the lists it appears on, so it’s definitely one to look out for. Maybe House of Cards or The Good Wife won’t do as well as I think they will. Justified and Southland are wildcards. This past season of Southland was its last and it was also it’s best season, so it could crack the top 15. Justified’s buzz has dwindled, but there’s bound to be some sense-having critics who put it on their lists. Person of Interests and Elementary are two shows I’m looking to potentially shake things up. Boardwalk Empire could see a surprising tick up or not. Don’t see B99 or The Crazy Ones doing so hot.

Top twenty guess (I’m leaving out mini-series and TV movies, because there are too many variables, and I just don’t think they should count on an aggregated list)

1. Breaking Bad
    2. Game of Thrones
    3. Orange is the New Black
    4. The Americans
    5. The Good Wife
    6. House of Cards
    7. Mad Men
    8. Master of Sex
    9. Veep
    10. Arrested Development
    11. The Walking Dead
    12. New Girl
    13. Broadchurch
    14. Parks and Recreation
    15. Enlightened
    16. Scandal
    17. The Returned
    18. Downton Abbey
    19. Orphan Black
    20. Homeland
    (the other shows that could make the top twenty) The Big Bang Theory/Justified/Southland/Person of Interest/Boardwalk Empire/American Horror Story

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

^ You have Downton Abbey listed twice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ghost
    Topics:

Guesses for this year:

1. Breaking Bad

2. Game of Thrones

3. Orange is the New Black

4. House of Cards

5. The Americans

6. Mad Men

7. Parks and Recreation

8. The Good Wife

9. Veep

10. The Walking Dead or Arrested Development

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 364 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.