2013-2014 Season

Home // Forums // Theater // 2013-2014 Season

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

As the first shows of the Broadway season enter previews, I thought it would be good to outline what the current lineup is looking like.  Things may change throughout the season, and some shows are canceled or delayed. But here are things as they stand now. New musicals first.

-MUSICALS- 

FIRST DATE
    Previews: July 9, 2013
    Opening: August 8, 2013
    Closing: January 5, 2014
    Written by Alan Zachary and Michael Weiner (music & lyrics) and Austin Winsburg (book)
    Cast: Zachary Levi and Krysta Rodriguez

SOUL DOCTOR
    Previews: July 17, 2013
    Opening: August 15, 2013
    Closing: October 13, 2013
    Written by: Shlomo Carlebach (music), David Schecter (lyrics), and Daniel S Wise (book)
    Cast: Eric Anderson with Amber Iman

BIG
    FISH
    Preview:
    September 5, 2013
    Opening:
    October 6, 2013
    Closing: December 29, 2013
    Written
    by Andrew Lippa (music and lyrics) and John August (book)
    Cast: Norbert Leo Butz with Kate Baldwin and Bobby Steggert 

AFTER MIDNIGHT

Preview:
    October 18, 2013
    Opening:
    November 3, 2013
    By: Jazz
    at Lincoln Center All-Stars
    Cast: Fantasia Barino, Dule Hill 

A NIGHT WITH JANIS JOPLIN
    Preview: September 20, 2013
    Opening: October 10, 2013
    Closing: February 9, 2014
    Music of Janis Joplin
    Cast: Mary Brigdett Davies

A GENTLEMAN’S GUIDE TO LOVE AND MURDER

Theatre:
    Walter Kerr Theatre
    Preview:
    October 22, 2013
    Opening:
    November 17, 2013
    Written
    by Robert L. Freedman and Steven Lutvak
    Starring: Jefferson Mays and Bryce Pinkham 

BEAUTIFUL: THE CAROLE KING MUSICAL
    Previews: November 21, 2013
    Opening: January 12, 2014
    Written by: Carole King, Barry Mann, Gerry Goffin, and Cynthia Weil
    Cast: Jessie Mueller with Jake Epstein, Anika Larsen, and Jarrod Spector

THE
    BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY

Preview: January 17, 2014
    Opening:
    February 20 2014
    Written
    by Jason Robert Brown (music and lyrics), Marsha Norman (book)
    Cast: Kelli O’Hara and Steven Pasquale with Hunter Foster, Cass Morgan, and Michael X. Martin

ALADDIN
    Preview: February 26, 2014
    Opening:
    March 20, 2014
    Written
    by Alan Menken (music), Howard Ashman (lyrics), Tim Rice (lyrics), Chad
    Beguelin (book and lyrics)
    Cast: Adam Jacobs and Courntey Reeds, with Jonathan Freeman and James Monroe Inglehart  

ROCKY

Preview: February 11, 2014
    Opening:
    March 13, 2014
    Written
    by Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (score), Thomas Meehan (book)
    Cast: Andy Karl and Margo Seibert, with Terence Archie and Dekin Matthews 

IF/THEN

Preview: March 4, 2014
    Opening:
    March 27, 2014
    Written
    by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey
    Cast: Idina Menzel, with LaChaze, Anthony Rapp and James Snyder

BULLETS OVER BROADWAY

Preview: March 11, 2014
    Opening:
    April 10, 2014
    Written
    by Woody Allen
    Cast: Zach Braff with Marin Mazzie and Betsy Wolfe 

SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

MUSICAL REVIVALS

CABARET
    Preview: March 21, 2014
    Opening: April 24, 2014
    Written by Joe Masteroff, John Kander and Fred Ebb
    Cast: Alan Cumming and Michelle Williams, with Danny Burstein and Linda Emond
    *entirely likely that this will not be eligible for the best revival Tony since it is the same Roundabout production that won several years ago. In all likelihood only the new actors and any new design elements (if any) will be eligible for awards* 

LES MISERABLES

Preview: March 1, 2014
    Opening: March 23, 2014
    Written by Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schönberg and Herbert Kretzmer
    Cast: Ramin Karimloo and Will Swenson, with Caissie Levy, Nikki M. James, and Andy Mientus

VIOLET
    Previews: March 28, 2014
    Opening: April 20, 2014
    Written by: Jeanine Tesori and  Brian Crawley
    Cast: Sutton Foster, with Joshua Henry and Emerson Steele

HEDWIG
    AND THE ANGRY INCH
    Previews: March 29, 2014
    Opening: April 22, 2014
    Written
    by John Cameron Mitchell, Stephen Trask
    Director:
    Michael Mayer
    Cast: Neil Patrick Harris

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

-NEW PLAYS-

A TIME TO KILL
    Previews: September 28, 2013
    Opening:
    October 20, 2013
    Closing: November 17, 2013
    Adapted
    by Rupert Holmes
    Based on
    Novel by John Grisham
    Cast: Sebastian Arcelus and John Douglas Thompson, with Patrick Page, Ashley Williams, Tom Skerritt, and Tonya Pinkins 

THE SNOW
    GEESE

Previews: October 1, 2013
    Opening:
    October 24, 2013
    Closing: December 15, 2013
    Written
    by Sharr White
    Cast: Mary Louise Parker, with Danny Burstein and Victoria Clark

OUTSIDE MULLINGAR

Previews:
    January 2, 2014
    Opening:
    January 23, 2014
    Written
    by John Patrick Shanley
    Cast: Debra Messing and Brian F. O’Byrne

BRONX BOMBERS
    Previews: January 10, 2014
    Opening: February 6, 2014
    Closing: March 2, 2014
    Written by: Eric Simonson
    Cast: Peter Scolari, with Tracy Shayne, Christopher Jackson, Francios Battiste, and C.J. Wilson

ALL THE WAY
    Previews: February 10, 2014
    Opening: March 6, 2014 
    Written by: Robert Schenkkan
    Cast: Bryan Cranston with Michael McKean, and Brandon J. Dirden

THE REALISTIC JONESES
    Previews: TBA March, 2014
    Opening: April 6, 2014
    Written by: Will Eno
    Cast: Tracey Letts, Marissa Tomei, Toni Collette, and Michael C. Hall

MOTHERS AND SONS
    Previews: February 23, 2014
    Opening: March 24, 2014
    Written by: Terrence McNally
    Cast: Tyne Daly with Bobby steggert and Frederick Weller

ACT ONE
    Previews: March 20, 2014
    Opening: April 17, 2014
    Written by: James Lapine (adaptation of autobiography by Moss Hart), with music by Jeanine Tesori
    Cast: Santino Fontana and Tony Shalhoub with Andrea Martin and Chuck Cooper

THE VELOCITY OF AUTUMN
    Previews: April 1, 2014
    Opening: April 21, 2014
    Written by: Eric Coble
    Cast: Estelle Parsons and Stephen Spinella

CASA VALENTINA
    Previews: April 1, 2014
    Opening: April 24th 2014
    Written by: Harvey Fierstein 
    Cast: Patrick Page and John Cullum 

-PLAY REVIVALS- 

ROMEO AND JULIET

Previews:
    August 24, 2013
    Opening:  September 19th, 2014
    Closing: December 8, 2013
    Written
    by: William Shakespeare
    Cast: Condola Rashad and Orlando Bloom 

THE GLASS MENAGERIE
    First
    Preview: September 5, 2013
    Opening:
    September 26, 2013
    Closing: February 23, 2014
    Written
    by Tennessee Williams
    Cast: Cherry Jones and Zachary Quinto with Celia Keenan-Bolger, and Brian J. Smith

THE WINSLOW BOY
    Previews: September 20, 2013
    Opening: October 17, 2013
    Closing: December 1, 2013
    Cast: Roger Rees

BETRAYAL
    Previews:
    October 1, 2013
    Opening:
    November 3, 2013
    Closing: Januray 12, 2014
    Written
    by Harold Pinter
    Cast: Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz, with Rafe Spall

TWELFTH NIGHT and RICHARD III

Previews:
    October 15, 2013
    Opening:
    November 10, 2013
    Written
    by William Shakespeare
    Cast: Mark Rylance with Stephen Fry

MACBETH
    Previews:
    October 24, 2013
    Opening:
    November 21, 2013
    Closing: January 12, 2014
    Written
    by William Shakespeare
    Cast: Ethan Hawke and Anne-Marie Duff, with John Glover, Malcolm Gets, Brian D’Arcy James, and Daniel Sunjata 

NO MANS LAND and WAITING FOR GODOT

Previews:
    October 26, 2013
    Opening:
    November 24, 2013
    Written
    by Harold Pinter and Samuel Beckett
    Cast: Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, with Billy Crudup and Shuler Hensley

MACHINAL

Previews:
    December 20, 2013
    Opening:
    January 16, 2014
    Written
    by Sophie Treadwell
    Cast: Rebecca Hall with Michael Cumpsty, Suzanne Bertish, and Morgan Spector

OF MICE AND MEN
    Previews: March 19, 2014
    Opening: April 16, 2014
    Written by: John Steinbeck
    Cast: James Franco and Chris O’Dowd with Leighton Meester

A RAISIN IN THE SUN
    Previews:
    March 8, 2014
    Opening:
    April 3, 2014
    Written
    by Lorraine Hansberry
    Cast: Denzel Washington and Latanya Richardson Jackson with Sophie Okonedo, David Cromer, and Anika Noni Rose

LADY DAY AT EMERSON’S BAR AND GRILL
    Previews: March 25th, 2014
    Opening: April 13, 2014
    Written by: Lanie Robinson with music by Billie Holiday
    Cast: Audra McDonald

THE CRIPPLE OF INISHMAAN 
    Previews: April 6, 2014
    Opening: April 20, 2014
    Closing: July 20, 2014
    Written by: Martin McDonagh
    Directed by: Michael Grandage
    Cast: Daniel Radcliffe with Ingrid Craigie, Sarah Greene, Padraic Delaney, and June Watson 

ReplyCopy URL
    24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

What about the new musicals that have already opened (First Date and Soul Doctor)? They’re probably not huge contenders, but should be listed nonetheless.

Thanks for the lists.  

ReplyCopy URL
    outsider
    Topics:

-NEW PLAYS-

700 SUNDAYS

Previews: November 5, 2013
    Opening: November 13, 2013
    Director: Des McAnuff
    Cast: Billy Crystal
    *If the lineup of new works remains thin, it will be interesting to see if this has a shot at awards.  In previous years, this likely would have been considered under the “special event” category which was dropped a few years ago. 

Isn’t it ineligible because it won in 2005? I was under the impression it’s the same production. If it’s a revised work, maybe it could compete in Revival of a Play?

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

@ 24Emmy: I formatted everything in a word doc and then pasted it into the forum. It seems like first date and soul doctor got cut off in the process. Ill update them tomorrow when Im back on my laptop.

@outsider: I was under the impression that 700 Sundays was using new material this time around, since the word “new” is used often in their marketing material. But I could be wrong. Ill look into it. Regardles Of where I put it Im sure the Tony committee will come to some other weird ruling when the time comes lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Benedick
    Participant
    Topics:

New plays should also include “Act One”, which will be at LCT and “Casa Valentina,” at MTC. Both confirmed.

I am pretty sure 700 Sundays won’t be eligible again…even if there is some new material sprinkled in, producers likely won’t make tickets available to Tony voters. They’ve already won, don’t need it as a marketing tool, and it would just decrease revenue.  

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Ok guys! Ive updated the above lists. Ive tacked a list of Play Revivals onto the Best Play posting, so it can all be found in one place, rather than being split up and having to scroll through posts for it.  I moved 700 Sundays to the Revival list.  It may not be eligible, but I wanted to paint a picture of the entire Broadway season here and after your comments and some consideration, it seems like the best spot for it for the time being. Ill note its eligibility when the time comes. Thank you Benedick for mentioning Act One and Casa Valentina which I overlooked! 
    If I’ve forgotten anything else, or you see information that isnt accurate let me know!  

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Initial reactions after looking at the list:

1.) It looks like we might have a great year for new musicals. Thank God. Last season was not Broadways brightest especially in this category. And it looks like we potentially have several strong and varied contenders.  Unlike last year, Im excited to see a lot of these. And even shows that may not be contenders for the big award, promise other joys by way of hyped performances (ie: Jessie Mueller as Carole King). 

2.) Musical Revival may actually only have 2 nominees. Cabaret likely will not be eligible for that top award. Leaving Les Mis and Hedwig to duke it out alone. And its hard to see another revival joining the ranks at this stage. Musicals take a lot of time to get off the ground. And with so many new musicals debuting, there would be a ton of competition, not for the Tony, but to merely stay afloat and attract an audience in New York. The most likely late joiner (Pump Boys and Dinettes) isnt exactly a household name that will draw swarms of people, so they may look towards a time next season with less competition. 

3.) Off-Broadway continues to be the home for new plays. Only six new plays in a season is a bit sad.  Not too long ago we had that incredible year for plays with Peter and the Starcatcher, Clyborne Park, Other Desert Cities, Venus in Fur, End of the Rainbow, and One Man Two Guvnors. But now it seems like new stuff doesnt make it to Broadway without a Tom Hanks or Nathan Lane attached (This year its Debra Messing and Mary Louise Parker).  Tracey Letts has his play Killer Joe in the wings which could make a late in the game debut, and I sincerely hope it does.

4.) Brush up on your Shakespeare. We have four Shakespeare works this season. Im not sure how they will translate to awards season (Billy’s plays often struggle to become serious players in the revival races outside an acting nomination or two).  My gut tells me Twelfth Night/Richard III will be the one that stands out the most. Tonys rarely say no to Mark Rylance (plus we just had Macbeth, which they sadly did say no to, and theyve gone and cast 30 somethings as Romeo and Juliet. Anyone else hate when they do that?).

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My social media harassment has paid off and I will be seeing the first preview of A Time to Kill on Sept. 28th (plus I get to go to a fancy pre-show reception with some of the creative team at Sardi’s). Ill report back here to tell you my thoughts, stay tuned!

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

My social media harassment has paid off and I will be seeing the first preview of A Time to Kill on Sept. 28th (plus I get to go to a fancy pre-show reception with some of the creative team at Sardi’s). Ill report back here to tell you my thoughts, stay tuned!

That’s awesome! Sardi’s is great as well.   

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Just youtubed Alfie Boe………this guy is incredible.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Yes Im so excited! The reception is in JJ Shuberts former living room above Sardi’s! They havent confirmed who from the creative team will be there. So i dont know if its some of the actors, or director and producers. Dont think Ill find out til I get there.  I attempted to win Big Fish tickets through the same program but I didnt win. Trying to be a better theatre-goer this season and get in to see everything. …If only I weren’t a poor actor and could afford tix. 

And yeah, Alfie Boe’s voice is ridiculous. His “bring him home” from the 25th anniversary concert is astoundingly good. Id be very on board if they cast him. I saw the tour the new broadway version will be based on. And I think its the only time Ive seen something and liked the use of projections in a show (I dont understand why its such a craze, but here it really enhanced the production). People are complaining about the lack of turntable, but the things they do with the set design are really outstanding. 

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

PS. Ive taken out the “possibilities” sections to make everything cleaner to look at. And in terms of musicals, the only one that could really make it to Broadway in time for this season is Diner. And if it does Ill update the list. (Houdini and Allegiance are now officially looking at the 2014-2015 season). There are some plays which could make a Broadway bow in spring as well (most notably All The Way, currently playing at A.R.T. with Brian Cranston -and- Killer Joe, Tracey Letts’ new play), and lets face it some more new plays would be welcome. But from here on out, if something announces an opening Ill just add to the list!

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

-A TIME TO KILL-

So I had an incredible evening at A Time to Kill last night! Not only got to check out the first preview but a very fancy pre-show reception above Sardis (roof terrace!) with the lovely people from Telecharge and producer Eva Price. Since this is an awards website, this post is to talk about awards potential and is not meant as a review at all.  Its just bad form to review a preview, though I thoroughly enjoyed the show. (The producer informed us it was actually their first time through without stopping, which is pretty incredible considering they never had to halt the show for anything during the performance).  

Obviously the biggest hurdle the production faces in terms of the Tonys is its early fall debut (Its the first new play of the season). However, if the season remains the same as it is now, there will only be four other plays competing for best play so the producers could keep it in the conversation if they want to.

Design awards should be well within reach for the show. The set is complex but deceptively simple looking, and features a turn table set which actually aides storytelling (and if we learned from Les Mis: never underestimate a good turntable).  Lighting is also well implemented and subtly changes and evolves to highlight key moments.

Acting nominations may prove difficult to nab, though not because the actors are bad. Quite opposite, they are all quite good and the script gives even minor characters chances to shine and connect with the audience.  The trouble is the sheer size of the ensemble.  No one appears above the title, technically leaving everyone to compete against each other in the featured categories.  Sebastian Arcelus may likely be bumped to lead by the Tony committee (John Douglas Thompson could go either way).  Getting a nomination in any of the categories will depend on if the nominators unite around one candidate rather than split their votes among a deserving cast.

The two most likely featured actor candidates are Patrick Page (excellent and commanding as a ruthless Mississippi attorney) and Tom Skerritt (providing levity and laughs as a booze guzzling advisor to Arcelus). In featured actress we have two possibilities in Tonya Pinkins (a broadway favorite and Tony winner who does great work but in a surprisingly small role) and Ashley Williams (who is absolutely excellent in her Broadway debut as a progressive female lawyer from New England).  

Although the play is long, it didnt feel it.  And as usually happens with the preview process, things only get tighter as they go along. The play also successfully avoids getting bogged down in a bunch of legal jargon, and makes the courtroom scenes entertaining. So if the show can find an audience and make it at least til the annual post-christmas drop in attendance (where a lot of the fall shows can falter in sales and close up shop)  I can see it as a real threat for one of those best play slots. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
Reply To: 2013-2014 Season

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.