2013 Laurence Olivier Awards

Home // Forums // Theater // 2013 Laurence Olivier Awards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

And the nominees are:

Best Actor
    Rupert Everett – The Judas Kiss
    James McAvoy – Macbeth
    Mark Rylance – Twelfth Night
    Rafe Spall – Constellations
    Luke Treadaway – The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time

Best Actress
    Helen Mirren – The Audience
    Hattie Morahan – A Doll’s House
    Billie Piper – The Effect
    Kristin Scott Thomas – Old Times

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
    Paul Chahidi – Twelfth Night
    Richard McCabe – The Audience
    Adrian Scarborough – Hedda Gabler
    Kyle Soller – Long Day’s Journey Into Night

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
    Janie Dee – NSFW
    Anastasia Hille – The Effect
    Cush Jumbo – Julius Caesar (Donmar Warehouse)
    Helen McCrory – The Last Of The Haussmans
    Nicola Walker – The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time

MasterCard Best New Play
    Constellations
    The Audience
    The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
    This House

Best Director
    Stephen Daldry – The Audience
    Marianne Elliott – The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
    Jeremy Herrin – This House
    Simon McBurney – The Master And Margarita

Best Actor in a Musical
    Michael Ball – Sweeney Todd
    Alex Bourne – Kiss Me, Kate
    Tom Chambers – Top Hat
    Will Young – Cabaret

Best Actress in a Musical
    Heather Headley – The Bodyguard
    Imelda Staunton – Sweeney Todd
    Summer Strallen – Top Hat
    Hannah Waddingham – Kiss Me, Kate

Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical
    Adam Garcia – Kiss Me, Kate
    Debbie Kurup – The Bodyguard
    Siân Phillips – Cabaret
    Leigh Zimmerman – A Chorus Line

Best New Musical
    Loserville
    Soul Sister
    The Bodyguard
    Top Hat

Best Revival
    Long Day’s Journey Into Night
    Macbeth
    Old Times
    Twelfth Night

Best Musical Revival
    A Chorus Line
    Cabaret
    Kiss Me, Kate
    Sweeney Todd

Best Entertainment and Family
    Cinderella (St James theatre)
    Goodnight Mister Tom
    Hansel And Gretel
    Room On The Broom

White Light Award for Best Lighting Design
    Paul Anderson – The Master And Margarita
    Paule Constable – The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
    Lee Curran – Constellations
    Mark Henderson – Sweeney Todd

Best Sound Design
    Ian Dickinson – The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
    Paul Groothuis – Sweeney Todd
    David McSeveney – Constellations
    Gareth Owen – Top Hat

Best Costume Design
    Bob Crowley – The Audience
    Jon Morrell – Top Hat
    Jenny Tiramani – Twelfth Night
    Anthony Ward – Sweeney Todd

XL Video Award for Best Set Design
    Hildegard Bechtler – Top Hat
    Miriam Buether & Wang Gongxin – Wild Swans
    Bunny Christie & Finn Ross – The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
    Tim Hatley – The Bodyguard

Best New Dance Production
    Aeternum by the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House, choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon
    Cacti by Nederlands Dans Theatre 2 at Sadler’s Wells, choreographed by Alexander Ekman
    A Streetcar Named Desire by Scottish Ballet at Sadler’s Wells

Outstanding Achievement in Dance
    Lez Brotherston for the set and costumes for Matthew Bourne’s Sleeping Beauty, New Adventures at Sadler’s Wells
    ILL-Abilities company in Breakin’ Convention at Sadler’s Wells
    Marianela Nunez for Aeternum, Diana & Actaeon and Viscera, The Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House

Best Theatre Choreographer
    Scott Ambler – Chariots Of Fire
    Bill Deamer – Top Hat
    Scott Graham & Steven Hoggett – The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
    Stephen Mear – Kiss Me, Kate

Outstanding Achievement in Affiliate Theatre
    Caroline Horton for You’re Not Like The Other Girls Chrissy at the Bush theatre
    The production of Red Velvet at the Tricycle theatre
    The season of new writing at the Royal Court Upstairs
    Kate Bond and Morgan Lloyd for You Me Bum Bum Train, presented by Theatre Royal Stratford East

Best New Opera Production
    Billy Budd, English National Opera at the London Coliseum
    Caligula, English National Opera at the London Coliseum
    Einstein On The Beach at the Barbican theatre
    La Traviata, English National Opera at the London Coliseum

Outstanding Achievement in Opera
    Edward Gardner for his conducting of The Flying Dutchman and Billy Budd at the
    English National Opera, London Coliseum
    Bryan Hymel for his performances in Les Troyens, Robert Le Diable and Rusalka at the
    Royal Opera House
    Music Theatre Wales for In the Locked Room/Ghost Patrol at the Linbury Theatre, the
    Royal Opera House
    The Stage Management teams at English National Opera, London Coliseum and the Royal Opera House

BBC Radio 2 Audience Award
    Billy Elliot The Musical
    Matilda The Musical
    The Phantom Of The Opera
    Wicked

Special Award
    Gillian Lynne
    Michael Frayn

Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s ok to post this since we can post BAFTA at the Oscar’s thread, right? I don’t know if anyone cares, but it’s about theatre after all.

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time is the front-runner to win New Play and has a great chance of translate in a Broadway production very soon.

Twelfth Night is the favorite to Best Revival and Sweeney Todd for Musical Revival.

Top Hat will win New Musical.

Staunton and Ball are near locks for Actor and Actress in Musical. But in a upset we can see Headley beating Staunton for critically acclaimed performance in Bodyguard.

Everett, in his career-defining performance, is the favorite for Actor, but Treadaway is a possible spoiler. Also, Rylance is nominated for the second time for the same role, is this ever happened at Tony’s?

Morahan and Pipper will fight for this award, Mirren underperformed at expectations (I heard).

Scarborough and Walk are locks in the supporting categories, her in a lesser extent.

Zimmerman will probably win the supporting role in a musical. Daldry is a lock too.

Also: Michelle Ryan faced the backlash of her performance in Cabaret with no nomination. The biggest snub is Sally Hawkins that received much more praise than Rafel Spall and was left out of the nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Helen Mirren reigns at London’s Olivier Awards
    by Associated Press
    Apr 29 2013 10:10 AM ET 

Helen Mirren was crowned queen of the London stage at the Olivier Awards Sunday, while compelling, canine-titled teen drama The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time emerged as best in show with seven trophies.

Mirren, 67, was a popular and expected best actress choice for her regal yet vulnerable Queen Elizabeth II in “The Audience,” Peter Morgan’s behind-palace-doors drama about the relationship between Britain’s queen and its prime ministers. 

The actress, who won an Academy Award in 2007 for playing Britain’s monarch in The Queen, quipped that it was 87-year-old Elizabeth who deserved an award, “for the most consistent and committed performance of the 20th century, and probably the 21st century.”

Backstage, it turned out she wasn’t kidding. Mirren, who has been Olivier-nominated three times before, said that finally winning “doesn’t mean that I was the best actor. There were so many incredible performances out there.”

“I was making a joke about the queen winning, but I think actually it is a reflection of the kind of respect the queen is held in,” she said.

Her Audience co-star, Richard McCabe, who won the supporting actor trophy for playing 1960s and 70s Prime Minister Harold Wilson, said Mirren was a joy to work with.

“It’s important as an actor to be absolutely fearless, and she is,” he said.

While the queen herself hasn’t been to see the Stephen Daldry-directed show – rumored to be Broadway-bound – McCabe said “a lot of people in the royal household have been coming in and watching incognito, and they must be reporting back.”

The surprise of the awards ceremony at London’s Royal Opera House was Curious Incident, an adaptation of Mark Haddon’s best-selling young-adult novel about a teenage math prodigy with Asperger’s Syndrome who sets out to find the killer of his neighbor’s dog, with destabilizing results.

The show, which premiered at the state-subsidized National Theatre last year before transferring to a commercial West End playhouse, has won praise for its creative use of movement and technology to make the leap from page to stage.

The Simon Stephens-scripted drama was named best new play, and 28-year-old Luke Treadaway was crowned best actor, beating a strong list of contenders including Rupert Everett, Mark Rylance and James McAvoy.

Treadaway said the Curious company knew they had created “something really special” with the show about a teenager “who sees the world differently to a lot of people.”

“I think people could kind of see themselves in him,” Treadaway said.

“This is not even necessary,” he said, holding his trophy, a bust of the late actor Laurence Olivier. “I enjoy doing it so much anyway.”

The play also won prizes for director Marianne Elliott and supporting actress Nicola Walker, as well as for set, lighting and sound.

Walker said the play had, through some “magic,” succeeded in creating an onstage world as seen through the eyes of a teenage hero with autism.

“You start out thinking (it) is completely different to our world, and you end up thinking `No, there are parts of this world I understand.’”

The Olivier awards honor achievements in London plays, musicals, dance and opera. Winners in most categories are chosen by a panel of stage professionals and theatergoers.

Founded in 1976, the Oliviers have been laying on the glitz in recent years, with glossy ceremonies modeled on Broadway’s Tony Awards.

Downton Abbey actor Hugh Bonneville and West End star Sheridan Smith – an Olivier winner in 2011 and 2012 – hosted a sparky ceremony that included performances by Glee star Matthew Morrison, Tony-winning Wicked diva Idina Menzel and 60s songstress Petula Clark.

The best new musical category had a retro feel, with the trophy going to Top Hat – a tap-dancing, tail-coated homage to Hollywood’s Golden Age based on the 1935 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie. It also won awards for costume design and choreography.

Blood-soaked musical Sweeney Todd took the prize for best musical revival, with its stars Imelda Staunton and Michael Ball named best actress and actor in a musical.

“I’m not sure I deserve this,” Ball said. “But I’ve also got sciatica, and I don’t deserve that either.”

Royal Ballet principal dancer Marianela Nunez took the prize for outstanding achievement in dance, while the same company’s Aeternum was named best new dance production.

An immersive staging of the Philip Glass opera Einstein on the Beach at London’s Barbican Centre was named best new opera production. American tenor Bryan Hymel won the outstanding achievement in opera prize for performances at the Royal Opera House.

Special achievement awards went to choreographer Gillian Lynne – best known for her work on Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals including Cats and The Phantom of the Opera – and playwright Michael Frayn, whose classic backstage farce Noises Off is still going strong 30 years after its debut.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if The Audience will go to broadway next year giving Mirren the Tony. She would need a grammy for EGOT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I heard The Audience and Curious Incident are going to Broadway. It’s unbelievable that Mirren didn’t have an Olivier by this point of her career. But her win kinda shocked me, I was expecting Morahan to win this. And Everett losing? Poor guy.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: 2013 Laurence Olivier Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.