Home Forums Theater 2015: Potential Nominees for Featured Actor in a Musical

2015: Potential Nominees for Featured Actor in a Musical

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A List of eligible contenders for Featured Actor in a Musical from the 2014-2015 Broadway season. Updates will occur after Tony committee eligibility rulings (and any additional productions or casting). Best guesswork based on billing/roles will be used until then. 

Clive Alves, On the Town
    Fred Applegate, The Last Ship
    Jay Armstrong Johnson, On the Town
    Phillip Boykin, On the Town
    David Burtka, It Shoulda Been You
    John Cariani, Something Rotten!
    Tony Danza, Honeymoon in Vegas
    Max Von Essen, An American in Paris
    Kelsey Grammer, Finding Neverland
    Edward Hibbert, It Shoulda Been You
    Matthew Hydzik, Side Show
    Christopher Jackson, Holler if Ya Hear Me
    David Josefsberg, Honeymoon in Vegas
    Robert Joy, Side Show
    Andy Karl, On the Twentieth Century
    Aaron Lazar, The Last Ship
    Mark Linn-Baker, On the Twentieth Century
    Michael McGrath, On the Twentieth Century
    Jimmy Nail, The Last Ship
    Brad Oscar, Something Rotten!
    Conrad Ricamora, The King and I
    Steven Rosen, It Shoulda Been You
    Matthew Saldivar, Honeymoon in Vegas
    David St. Louis, Side Show
    Brandon Uranowitz, An American in Paris
    Chip Zien, It Shoulda Been You 

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Kelsey Grammer? Well that should be interesting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

David St. Louis is absolutely getting nominated for Side Show. If the show survives into the spring, I could easily see him winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

With Tony Danza now placed in this category by the Tony committee, we most likely have our winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

With Tony Danza now placed in this category by the Tony committee, we most likely have our winner.

I posted a lengthier reply to this prediction in the overall 2015 thread, but I think there are too many unseen performances that will be in this category to deem Danza a likely winner here. It’s a very smart move by the producers of Honeymoon in Vegas to petition him in Featured, and he definitely belongs in this category, but I don’t think his performance is strong enough to be seen as Tony Award worthy. 

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

[quote=”Actriz”]With Tony Danza now placed in this category by the Tony committee, we most likely have our winner.

I posted a lengthier reply to this prediction in the overall 2015 thread, but I think there are too many unseen performances that will be in this category to deem Danza a likely winner here. It’s a very smart move by the producers of Honeymoon in Vegas to petition him in Featured, and he definitely belongs in this category, but I don’t think his performance is strong enough to be seen as Tony Award worthy. [/quote]

I spoke a day too soon. I just got home from seeing the first preview of Something Rotten! and Brad Oscar is the absolute frontrunner for this award. “A Musical” is the musical highlight of the season, and Oscar delivers an incredible musical comedy tour de force performance. 

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    JoeyJoeyJoey
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”PianoMann”][quote=”Actriz”]With Tony Danza now placed in this category by the Tony committee, we most likely have our winner.

I posted a lengthier reply to this prediction in the overall 2015 thread, but I think there are too many unseen performances that will be in this category to deem Danza a likely winner here. It’s a very smart move by the producers of Honeymoon in Vegas to petition him in Featured, and he definitely belongs in this category, but I don’t think his performance is strong enough to be seen as Tony Award worthy. [/quote]

I spoke a day too soon. I just got home from seeing the first preview of Something Rotten! and Brad Oscar is the absolute frontrunner for this award. “A Musical” is the musical highlight of the season, and Oscar delivers an incredible musical comedy tour de force performance. [/quote]

Oscar truly does steal the show with that number. I can still see Danza winning simply due to industry goodwill towards him.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Noticed Ryan Silverman got a LEAD Actor nomination from the Drama Desk committee; I’m assuming his Tony eligibility ruling was in Featured?

What’s up with all the Josh Grisetti (It Shoulda Been You) love from both the Outer Critics and Drama Desk? I haven’t seen that show – is he that good in the role?

Here is my current thinking of who I think the five finalist are most likely to be:

Christian Borle, Something Rotten!
    Andy Karl, On the Twentieth Century
    Paul Alexander Nolan, Doctor Zhivago
    Brad Oscar, Something Rotten!
    Max Von Essen, An American In Paris

Possible spoilers: Grisetti, Silverman, and: John Cariani for Something Rotten!, David St. Louis for Side Show, Clive Alves or Jay Armstrong Johnson for On the Town… I’m not feeling it for either Tony Danza (Honeymoon in Vegas) or Kelsey Grammer (Finding Neverland)…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: 2015: Potential Nominees for Featured Actor in a Musical

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.