Home Forums Theater 2015: Potential Nominees for Featured Actress in a Musical

2015: Potential Nominees for Featured Actress in a Musical

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A List of eligible contenders for Featured Actress in a Musical from the 2014-2015 Broadway season. Updates will occur after Tony committee eligibility rulings (and any additional productions or casting). Best guesswork based on billing/roles will be used until then. 

Heidi Blickenstaff, Something Rotten! 
    Sierra Boggess, It Shoulda been You
    Carolee Carmello, Finding Neverland
    Victoria Clark, Gigi
    Veanne Cox, An American in Paris
    Tyne Daly, It Shoulda Been You
    Diana DiMarzio, The Visit
    Megan Fairchild, On the Town
    Lora Lee Gayer, Doctor Zhivago
    Harriet Harris, It Shoulda Been You
    Jackie Hoffman, On the Town
    Judy Kuhn, Fun Home
    Beth Malone, Fun Home
    Ruthie Ann Miles, The King and I
    Nancy Opel, Honeymoon in Vegas
    Jill Paice, An American in Paris
    Ashley Park, The King and I
    Tonya Pinkins, Holler if Ya Hear Me
    Saycon Sengbloh, Holler if Ya Hear Me
    Emily Skeggs, Fun Home
    Elizabeth Stanley, On the Town
    Sally Ann Triplett, The Last Ship
    Alysha Umphress, On the Town
    Mary Louise Wilson, On the Twentieth Century

Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw Honeymoon in Vegas last night – Nancy Opel should certainly be nominated. She only appears in 2-3 scenes, but her song is the show’s funniest and she provides the show’s most memorable moments. I doubt she can win unless this proves a lackluster year for featured actresses in musicals.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree about Nancy Opel. I could easily see her getting lost in the shuffle though later in the season. I also agree about her big song Never Get Married, which was easily contained the funniest moment of the show for me and got the biggest laugh of the night.

I am still pulling for Alysha Umphress at this point to get in and win, but we still have several unseen contenders plus the power of a possible Fun Home surge for Judy Kuhn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ted Stevenson
    Participant
    Topics:

This will be a good race this year. It’s definitely Judy Kuhn’s to lose… I wonder if Tyne Daly can give her some heat/will she be campaigned in lead?

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Daly is listed above the title, so they would have to petition for her to be considered Featured. Haven’t seen the show and don’t plan to, but from what I’ve heard and read, Daly and Harris most naturally fit into Lead consideration. I would have to think that, unless there’s been some kind of unlikely decline in her performance, Kuhn is positioned to hear her name called. Her song “Days and Days” is a highlight of the Fun Home score. Thus far, Ruthie Ann Miles would seem to be her biggest potential competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I would love to see Judy Kuhn finally get her due.  She’s a great musical actress who disappeared for a bit, and I’m happy that she’s back.  Her song in Fun Home is fantastic, and I think she could definitely pull off a win.  Question tho: Where are they going to try to put Sydney Lucas?  If she’s considered a leading role in Fun Home, then this award is Kuhn’s.  If Lucas is put in Featured, then I could see her being stiff competition.  Her song “Ring of Keys” is kind of the heart of the show, and she delivers it perfectly.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen any of these shows unfortunatly because of living in Florida for school >:( but I would love to see Jackie Hoffman be recognized. I did actually saw her in Addams Family and my god she was snubbed for a Tony nomination. She was suberb. And if you ever get the chance, watch all her backstage video blogs on broadway.com’s youtube channel. They are a riot 

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think It’ll be tough for Jackie Hoffman this year. Her costar Alysha Umphress is a very strong candidate for this category. 

It shoulda Been You will likely remain a mystery in terms of eligibility until the final administration meeting. Lisa Howard is the central figure and above the title. So she seems to obviously be in the lead category. Harriet Harris and Tyne Daly are also billed above the title with fairly sizable roles. I think they could go either way. The producers may try to petition them for featured since they could be the only awards play the show has.  

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I know y’all are saying it just won’t happen but I just think it would be great fun if four of the nominees were from Fun Home. Hear me out: suppose the panel decides that all four are Featured Actresses (nominally Beth Malone is sort of the “Lead” and some are saying Sydney Lucas, but imo everybody in this show is more Featured than Lead – even Michael Cerveris, it’s just that some are more Featured than others!) So, in my scenario the nominees are: Judy Kuhn, Sydney Lucas, Beth Malone and Emily Skeggs for Fun Home, and the fifth slot is really up for grabs: Heidi Blickenstaff, Megan Fairchild, Ruthie Ann Miles, Alysha Umphress or Mary Louise Wilson (long shots: Victoria Clark, Jackie Hoffman or Nancy Opel) –

If Lucas is petitioned or placed in Featured she will win the Tony; if she’s petitioned or placed in Lead she doesn’t, and Judy Kuhn wins the Tony imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I suppose it is possible for FUN HOME to take over the Featured Actress category. I still can’t speak an opinion as I haven’t seen the show yet (that TodayTix lottery is pretty much impossible and eventually I’ll probably give in for the $75 tickets….if they even still have them in the near future). Based on the buzz, it does seem like Lucas and Kuhn are the strongest bets to win the award and we have seen category takeovers before. Example: The Producers took 3 slots in Featured Actor and then Full Monty rounded out the other 2.

I am still rooting for Alysha Umphress to make it in. I am very baffled as to how Megan Fairchild got singled out by the OCC. I remember reading some reviews before I saw the show last October and some raved about her. Sure, she is an amazing dancer and she acted the part fine but I didn’t really think there was a lot there. Umphress delivered and became the definitve Hildy for me….but even so, I was also more impressed with Elizabeth Stanley than Fairchild. Still, it is all a matter of opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Anthony that damn today tix lottery is the current bane of my existence. I enter Fun Home, Hamilton, and grounded almost every day to no avail. Fun Home is one of the few big contenders I’ve yet to see (if ANYONE wins that lottery and can’t use the second ticket, feel free to contact me and I will drop everything and run over to circle in the square. I’ll even buy you a drink. Also did you know Hamilton has a maximum of 2 lottery winners? I mean…really.)
    Has anyone ever gotten four nominees in a category? 2 or 3 yes, but 4 would be tough I think

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t realize the Hamilton lottery was so little an amount! That is absolutely crazy!

I have yet to win a TodayTix lottery for anything. I did win lotteries for Aladdin and Book of Mormon but never any of the digital ones. In fact, only one of my friends ever won a digital lottery…granted it was for On the Town, but still.

If it were up to me, I would’ve already bought tickets for this Thursdays performance but my partner didn’t want me shelling out the money right now so the lottery is calling my name tomorrow and Thursday and Saturday….and hopefully I will break through.

ReplyCopy URL
    tylerbeals1
    Participant
    Topics:

I would be really surprised if the producers didn’t push at least one of the women in to lead.  So I have yet to see the show (stupid living 3 hours from NYC), but from everything I know and have read about it I feel like Beth Malone is the easiest push to lead since the story is her story.  It only exists because of her, making her the lead of the show.  That seems like a pretty easy argument to me, but who knows what will end up happening.  In that scenario I could see her getting in for lead and potentially 3 getting in for supporting, but definitely 2 getting in.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

This category is the one that has me the most perplexed, stumped, unsure and flummoxed (: Depending on the category placement of the Fun Home actresses, I count between 13-15 potential nominees, the most of any category. Almost all of the other acting categories have 7-8 viable candidates, but this category is a real head-scratcher!

From Fun Home, there are four actresses who could be nominated (if the committee deems them all eligible): Judy Kuhn, Sydney Lucas, Beth Malone and Emily Skeggs. (Personally, I think the producers should petition for Sydney Lucas in Featured because I think she would win if they did so, whereas she has no chance in the Lead Actress category).

On the Town also has four potential nominees: Megan Fairchild, Jackie Hoffman, Elizabeth Stanley and Alysha Umphress. (do they cancel each other out? It does seem like everyone champions a different one of these four).

Carolee Carmello got a Drama Desk nomination; Victoria Clark got a Outer Critics nomination; Tyne Daly was nominated for both but Lead with OC and Featured with DD; Heidi Blickenstaff got an OC nomination and could ride with the Something Rotten! boys; Nancy Opel got a DD nomination; Mary Louise Wilson is Mary Louise Wilson; Ruthie Ann Miles got an OC nomination and could ride a wave of The King and I support –

Personally, I would love it, since it would be really different and interesting, if Fun Home got four of the five slots! (: But it’s very unlikely (but not impossible, unless the committee decides to place Beth Malone and/or Sydney Lucas in the Lead Actress category)
    That’s 15 different actresses…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: 2015: Potential Nominees for Featured Actress in a Musical

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.