Home Forums Theater 2015: Potential Nominees for Lead Actor in a Musical

2015: Potential Nominees for Lead Actor in a Musical

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A List of eligible contenders for Lead Actor in a Musical from the 2014-2015 Broadway season. Updates will occur after Tony committee eligibility rulings (and any additional productions or casting). Best guesswork based on billing/roles will be used until then. 

Christian Borle, Something Rotten!
    David Burtka, It Shoulda Been You
    Michael Cerveris, Fun Home
    Brian d’Arcy James, Something Rotten!
    Tony Danza, Honeymoon in Vegas
    Michael Esper, The Last Ship 
    Robert Fairchild, An American in Paris
    Peter Gallagher, On the 20th Century
    Rob McClure, Honeymoon in Vegas
    Matthew Morrison, Finding Neverland
    Tam Mutu, Doctor Zhivago
    Saul Williams, Holler if ya Hear Me 
    Ken Watanabe, The King and I
    Tony Yazbeck, On the Town

Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

After seeing Honeymoon in Vegas I’m calling this award in the name of Rob McClure. The dude goes through the ringer in the show, his facial expressions are pricelessly perfect and his singing fantastic. The audience roots for his character throughout the show and some of his stunts as the show reaches its end are truly spectacular.

Danza is solid in the show but, beyond having a decent tap number, does nothing memorable. He could be snubbed if the onslaught of contenders is too strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I was definitely pleased with Rob McClure and could see him getting nominated and contending even if the show closes before the Tonys. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I am still completely baffled by Honeymoon in Vegas as a show, especially after the drop-dead rave Ben Brantley gave the out-of-town tryout. I found the show to be very inconsistent, but they saving graces were the performances of McClure and O’Malley/Josefberg/Opal….and then JRB’s score and co-orchestrations were stellar and I think he should be up for consideration to win both again this year.

I am so happy I am not alone on Tony Danza. My partner and I left the show feeling he just kind of walked through the role and I was expecting more when Ben Brantley said he gave a performance as good as those of the old-time gangsters in Guys and Dolls. The only scene I really loved with him was You Made the Wait Worthwhile.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

I am still completely baffled by Honeymoon in Vegas as a show, especially after the drop-dead rave Ben Brantley gave the out-of-town tryout. I found the show to be very inconsistent, but they saving graces were the performances of McClure and O’Malley/Josefberg/Opal….and then JRB’s score and co-orchestrations were stellar and I think he should be up for consideration to win both again this year.

The show’s problems lay with the book. So many issues, particularly character issues. (Spoilers ahead) Betsy is so quick to fall for Tommy, but then even quicker to turn on him with the only justification being that she’s “been thinking.” Also, Tommy gives up on Betsy almost in an instant once Jack returns. No fight put up by the guy who rigged a poker game, hired actors to play his family and constructs a web of lies for this girl? Lazy, lazy writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Tony Yazbeck was awesome in On the Town. Saw it today. Wowza.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Completely ridiculous way-too-early gut intuition prediction:

Christian Borle, Something Rotten!
    Michael Cerveris, Fun Home
    Michael Esper, The Last Ship
    Rob McClure, Honeymoon In Vegas
    Tony Yazbeck, On The Town

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

^Esper won’t be nominated. The Last Ship will be long closed by the time voting commences and despite playing the lead Esper isn’t very memorable (Rachel Tucker gives the show’s best performance but is stupidly placed in the lead category). I also think Yazbeck will suffer from On the Town’s inevitable closing and may get bumped out. I suspect the nominees will be the two Something Rotten guys (there’s always a show with two nominees in this category), McClure and Cerveris with the final slot being up for grabs.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Im not so sure On the Town is closing shop right away. If it were in any other house it would be doing great with the numbers its pulling in. They got slightly reduced rent and went to lengths with the set design to keep production costs down. They may not do well with the winter months, but I could see them staying open til the spring touring conference like Bridges of Madison County did. And remember, shows that close early can still easily get mentioned with a nomination as the nominating committee is required to see everything. Much harder for them to win, but early closers are nominated all the time. Im not going to call anything this early though since it seems silly when so many shows havent even begun previews or rehearsals yet. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ted Stevenson
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m betting the Weinsteins will find a way to get Matthew Morrison in there somehow.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brodie Michael
    Topics:

Well Matthew Morrison did recieve a Tony nomination in 2005. Finding Neverland is still in rehursals so it’s too early to say but he has the potential to produce that caliber of work based on his background.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ted Stevenson
    Participant
    Topics:

Something tells me Ken Watanabe will make it in the end. Maybe I’m biased, but I think he has the potential to deliver a strong performance. And that role has historically done well with awards (Yul Brynner got the Tony AND Oscar for it). Bartlett Sher doesn’t know how to do a bad show either it seems, so I’m thinking THE KING AND I will get a tonnn of nominations, much like SOUTH PACIFIC which had an actor nominated in EVERY category.

ReplyCopy URL
    JoeyJoeyJoey
    Participant
    Topics:

After seeing Something Rotten!, I can easily see keeping Brian d’Arcy James in Lead and pushing Christian Borle for Featured along with John Cariani.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Something tells me Ken Watanabe will make it in the end. Maybe I’m biased, but I think he has the potential to deliver a strong performance. And that role has historically done well with awards (Yul Brynner got the Tony AND Oscar for it). Bartlett Sher doesn’t know how to do a bad show either it seems, so I’m thinking THE KING AND I will get a tonnn of nominations, much like SOUTH PACIFIC which had an actor nominated in EVERY category.

I agree that Ken Watanabe should have a very good chance of getting nominated. Reaction to his performance from the very first previews was negative because his diction was supposedly totally incomprehensible; however, everyone has praised him for the emotional intensity and characterization that he has brought to the role. I’ve read that they’ve made tremendous strides in the past few weeks regarding his diciton, too, so by the time the production officially opens, I suspect that he will receive very positive reviews! 

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.