Home Forums Theater 2015: Potential Nominees for Lead Actress in a Musical

2015: Potential Nominees for Lead Actress in a Musical

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A List of eligible contenders for Lead Actress in a Musical from the 2014-2015 Broadway season. Updates will occur after Tony committee eligibility rulings (and any additional productions or casting). Best guesswork based on billing/roles will be used until then. 

Sierra Boggess, It Shoulda Been You
    Kristin Chenoweth, On the 20th Century
    Leanne Cope, An American in Paris
    Tyne Daly, It Shoulda Been You
    Erin Davie, Side Show
    Vanessa Hudgens, Gigi
    Laura Michelle Kelly, Finding Neverland
    Sydney Lucas, Fun Home
    Kelli O’Hara, The King and I
    Brynn O’Malley, Honeymoon in Vegas
    Emily Padgett, Side Show
    Chita Rivera, The Visit
    Rachel Tucker, The Last Ship

Indonesian
    Topics:

Hudgens, really?
    excited for Chenoweth and O’Hara, though I can’t imagine the role of Anna Leonowens winning another Tony, Donna Murphy stole Julie Andrews’s Tony for this role! (if Andrews had not declined the nomination, she was by far the winner)

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Has there been any further word on The Visit trying to mount a Broadway run with Chita Rivera? Or is that one dead?

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I heard rumors that the producers tried to shop it to Roundabout but they passed on it. It would be a pretty tough sell for a commerical run. So I’d assume they would need Roundabout or Lincoln Center or MTC to put it up. 

Doesnt necessarily mean its dead, but it doesnt seem likely for this season anyway. 

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

RE: The Visit.
    Of course after replying I read an article about this very show. Riedel reports (so get out your giant salt shakers) that after the not for profits apssed on it, McNally is attempting to use the success of Its Only a Play to secure funding for The Visit from the Shuberts. This of course would mean that the production will be in a Shubert house, and none are currently open at the moment. The most likely way it gets to Broadway is if Pippin closes in January (its kinda struggling) and Visit takes the Music Box. It could also fill the Jacobs after Once leaves, but they may want a play in that house for the spring.

I hope it makes its way to NYC at somepoint. I didnt get to see the Williamstown production but it looks gorgeous.  

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Sight unseen, I think this is between Chenoweth and O’Hara with O’Hara with the edge.

ReplyCopy URL
    awardsbuddy
    Participant
    Topics:

I too think this is a O’Hara / Chenoweth showdown. Chenoweth won in 1999, was nommed again in 2004, was snubbed in 2007 and 2010, and so I think she’ll be given a big welcome back Tony nom in 2015 for this big classic musical role. O’Hara on the other hand has been nominated five times since 2005 and will get her sixth nom for King in 2015… the question is who will win? I think if King sweeps like South Pacific did in 2008, we could definitely see overdue O’Hara get picked up for the ride. I can’t see Chenoweth winning for this role, but she’ll definitely be nominated. If Chenoweth wasn’t such a big deal at the time of Wicked, she should’ve gone featured for Glinda, and I think both she and Menzel would’ve won then.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I just saw SIDE SHOW tonight and I must say that both Erin Davie and Emily Padgett are wonderful as Violet and Daisy….the production itself was also quite good and I think would be a worthy nominee for Best Revival.

The biggest hurdle is obvious: Will the lack of well-known names combined with the huge theatre it is in make the show close sooner? It does look like they aren’t selling the balcony at all.

I think it will be very interesting to see what happens with Side Show in addition to On the Town….and of course with the former, the reviews haven’t come out yet (though the DC ones were positive).

Anyways, I would like to see Davie and Padgett be recognized come Tony time so we will see how the season keeps panning out.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Do not underestimate Sierra Boggess! She is a force to be reckoned with.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Pippin is indeed closing 1/4/15. Chance for The Visit to take the Music Box and let Chita Rivera sweep in, making a bridesmaid of Kelli O’Hara yet again?

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I was just going to post about that @adamunc! Curious that it announces closing after The Visit rumors…
    If it was ever going to transfer now is the time. If the non-profits passed on it, then McNally needs to strike now while he has the biggest hit of the season (and therefore more clout) to get it on Broadway. It’s not a very commercial show, so it would really rely on Tony nominations to sell. Chita is also very intent on doing it, so at least they know they have a name to put above the title.

As for the actual Tony battle, should The Visit become a reality. I think its far too early to say either way, but sight unseen I’d still go with Kelli. I think this season finally feels like “her time”. I have to think last season was very close between her and Jessie Mueller. But with King and I announced, most probably felt, “eh, we can give it to her next year”. Anna is also a role that has been lucky with the Tony before (yes, yes, I know Donna Murphy, Julie Andrews, yadda yadda yadda), and its a true lead that dominates the show. Many of her competitors wont get the amount of stage time she does.

The King and I also stands a good chance to win Best Revival. On the Town and Side Show face a very tough winter (I’m not rooting for either one to close, quite the opposite I hope they find a way to thrive) and its unknown if they can survive past February in those big houses. That leaves two non-profits in the race to duke it out, but I think On the 20th Century isnt everyone’s cup of tea. Its quite possible King and I becomes a dominant player/winner and Kelli (who will be much more savvy at campaigning after last season) gets to go along for the ride.

Plus, other than Chenoweth (and the possibility of Rivera), Kelli O’Hara is the only proven Tony commodity.  

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

This year it is KELLY O’HARAS  turn for The King and I
    Done deal!!!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw Side Show and I think Erin Davie & Emily Padgett are definitely in (though I thought Padgett was noticeably the better of the two). However, like Ripley & Skinner for the original production, I doubt they will be able to win with the upcoming work from O’Hara, Chenoweth, Kelly, Lucas, O’Malley (I’m hoping to see Honeymoon in Vegas soon) and now potentially Rivera. I do think they are safe for a nom though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw Side Show and I think Erin Davie & Emily Padgett are definitely in (though I thought Padgett was noticeably the better of the two). However, like Ripley & Skinner for the original production, I doubt they will be able to win with the upcoming work from O’Hara, Chenoweth, Kelly, Lucas, O’Malley (I’m hoping to see Honeymoon in Vegas soon) and now potentially Rivera. I do think they are safe for a nom though.

Happy to see you really liked these two in addition to David St. Louis!

I also agree that Emily Padgett was the better of the two, though Erin Davie definitely brought forth such a frail image that was a perfect contrast to the beaming of Padgett’s Daisy.

I really hope they both can make it in, but I don’t know if they could pull it off. I have seen Brynn O’Malley and while she was good, I can’t see her winning for it….and right now, she may have the potential of being snubbed if upcoming performances are better received.

I think that this could very well be the year Kelli O’Hara finally wins if she is well received along with the production and no one else surges forward….but if Chita Rivera gets sentiment and reviews that could factor into a 3rd win, I just picture O’Hara fainting with disbelief at her unfortunate luck.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw Honeymoon in Vegas (in previews) and its criminal how underused Brynn O’Malley is. Her character is horribly written and she really only has one memorable song. Such a shame as her singing voice and comedic timing are brilliant and she is a terrific actress overall.

Sadly, many upcoming contenders will have to falter for her to get nominated. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.