Home Forums Theater 2015: Potential Nominees for Lead Actress in a Play

2015: Potential Nominees for Lead Actress in a Play

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A List of eligible contenders for Lead Actress in a Play from the 2014-2015 Broadway season. Updates will occur after Tony committee eligibility rulings (and any additional productions or casting). Best guesswork based on billing/roles will be used until then. 

Glenn Close, A Delicate Balance
    Blythe Danner, The Country House
    Lindsay Duncan, A Delicate Balance
    Mia Farrow, Love Letters
    Renee Fleming, Living on Love
    Maggie Gyllenhaal, The Real Thing
    Helen Mirren, The Audience
    Gretchen Mol, Disgraced
    Elizabeth Moss, The Heidi Chronicles
    Carey Mulligan, Skylight 
    Ruth Wilson, Constellations 

24Emmy
    Participant
    Topics:

Helen Mirren has to be the early favorite at this point.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Im going with my girl Glenn. Who’s show has just broken the house record at the Golden…in first week of previews.  Seeing it in late November and couldnt be more excited.

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

Isn’t Claire a showier role in A Delicate Balance? Two actresses were nominated for playing this role, not to mention a GG nom for the film version. So Lindsay Duncan should also be among the contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Claire is a bit showier, more grandstanding…though Im under the impression that they are trying for featured with Duncan which was why I didnt include her.

ReplyCopy URL
    helmetz
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Of this list, I’ve only seen three:  Danner (during the L.A. tryout of “The Country House”), and Mirren & Mulligan (via National Theatre Live).  I thought Danner was fine, Mirren as expert as expected, but it was Mulligan who really knocked me out.  Even with Bill Nighy emoting opposite her, I could never take my eye off what she was doing up on that stage.  I suspect that by April, Danner won’t make the final five and that Mirren will probably be the early favorite.  But don’t count Mulligan out as a real contender.

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

The Real Thing leading actress has won twice! Close and Ehle. Gyllenhaal has to win right? Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Now that “The Audience” has opened, Mirren is firmly in the lead. Barring a surprise surge from the yet to be seen Mulligan or Fleming, its hers to lose. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that there aren’t any official reviews yet, but Elisabeth Moss has pretty good shot for a nomination as of now, right?

And Close, Wilson, Moss and Mirren being likely nominees, what ”broadway star” will receive a nomination? Maybe Duncan?

ReplyCopy URL
    Ted Stevenson
    Participant
    Topics:

The day has come where 95% of the contenders are television or film stars. *Sigh*

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

The day has come where 95% of the contenders are television or film stars. *Sigh*

This is very interesting. I just recently added the “T” to my “EGO” with following awards. This sentiment is real and alive among the theater community. I find the whole “star” vs. “actor” debate really fascinating. I was first made aware of it through “Singin’ in the Rain”. I guess that explains why Harry Potter hasn’t been invited to the party yet and why last year Michelle Williams didn’t get in and an actress (can’t think of her name at the moment) that read more theater did.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Mary Bridgett Davies was nominated (A Night With Janis Joplin) over Michelle Williams last year. But that had nothing to do with any “star vs. theatre actor” debate or hollywood hatred. Davies’ performance was just leagues better than Williams. The Janis Joplin musical was a flop unfortuantely, and failed to drum up ticket sales. But the reviews she got are the kind of notices actors kill for. When the community unites behind an actor in that way they always get in, even if they are unknowns going up against stars (see also: Valisia LeKae in “Mowtown”, Jessie Mueller in “On a Clear Day”). 

And in terms of this years film stars in this category, many of them began their careers in theatre. Its not like a big star doing a Broadway drive by. And even if they don’t have a large theatre resume, who cares as long as the work is great? Elizabeth Moss is doing well as Heidi (and absolutely killing that Act 2 monologue). And since they booked a big name for the lead, the producers can hire talented actors who arent stars (like the hilarious Tracee Chimo and Ali Ahn) for supporting players. 

Current Predicitons
    1. Mirren
    2. Wilson
    3. Duncan
    4. Close
    5. Moss
    Spoiler: Mulligan Unseen: Fleming

ReplyCopy URL
    Ted Stevenson
    Participant
    Topics:

The instances you gave were musicals… a completely different ball game. Great actors are great actors, I’m merely pointing out the fact that this year, most of the contenders are well-known television and film actors. If you even go back 5 years, there were usually at the very least 2 nominees for Lead Actress that WEREN’T primarily known for their current film or television careers. For instance, there’s no Amy Morton for WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF, or a Kristine Nielsen for VANYA AND SONYA AND MASHA AND SPIKE, or the WINNER of the award last year, Audra McDonald. I know why names get put into the leading roles, it’s been going further and further in that direcion every year. Just stating the obvious 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

I do get what are you guys sayin’, but even if they are now known for tv or film, Close, Wilson and Mirren are primarily stage actors, especially Mirren.

If you look their resume, you’ll see that Mirren got her first Tony nomination in the beginning of her break in films, as she did received both Oscar and Tony nominations in 95.

The same goes for Close (Tony nom. for Barnum in 80, first Oscar nom only in 83) and Wilson (her break was with Luther, and especially now with The Affair, but she has two Olivier’s already).

If the three get in, plus Duncan and Moss, the Mad Men star will be the sole nominee that was not ”born in theater”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ted Stevenson
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, but they are not being hired because of what they’ve done on stage. Helen Mirren is playing the Queen in THE ADVOCATE because she won an Oscar and everything else for the same role. If you ask regular people, they would recall these actresses from television and film work that they have done. 

The point I am making is that we are at a time in the industry where theatrebackers can no longer afford to put primarily theater actors as the leads in their shows. In 2015, to be the female lead of a Broadway Play, you basically need to be well-known for your film and/or television work. I think that’s pretty clear. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.