Home Forums Theater 2015 Tony Awards (Predictions Center Now Open)

2015 Tony Awards (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 444 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • dude93
    Topics:

It might be ridiculous, but hey, let’s have a go at making extremely early Tony predictions at least in some categories for next year’s (2015) ceremony… 

I think King & I will garner nominations for Revival, Leading Actor (Ken Watanabe), Leading Actress (Kelli O’Hara going for that win), Featured Actress (Tuptim or Lady Thiang), Director, Scenic Design, Costume Design and Lighting Design… It will be a tough competitor for those design categories too, because of the lavishness of the show.

Kristin Chenoweth should also feature for On The Twentieth Century in the Leading Actress category. That show will also probably get a Revival nod too. 

What about On the Town? – Best Musical Revival too, I suspect with many one or two acting nominations. 

Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

I just hope Jason Robert Brown has a success with Honeymoon in Vegas because Bridges was just a great score and should have run for longer then it did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it is possible that JRB could score another Tony win for VEGAS, especially with the reviews he and the show received by Ben Brantley for the Papermill production.

As for Kelli O’Hara and Kristin Chenoweth, I am still skeptical if I see them in these roles (I personally think Chenoweth may be a tad too old), but I will give them the chance….while I am not a fan of The King and I, I absolutely adore On The Twentieth Century. 

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I expect The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time to make a big splash in the Play categories. It was very well-received in London and it also has a lot of technical elements that should add up to a large number of nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

^ Oh yeah, and I suspect best actor and featured actress frontrunners for whoever plays the boy and his mom too… Shaping up to be a better year than this year already.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Actor and actress in a musical could very well go to James Corden (A Funny Thing Happened) and Kelli O’Hara (King and I) respectively.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Also, do we know how many original scores are coming to Broadway this season? Could somebody be so kind as to make a list if the info is available?

ReplyCopy URL
    SkyLight
    Participant
    Topics:

The Last Ship & Honeymoon in Vegas are the only ones confirmed right now, I think.

I’m guessing Finding Neverland as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Yes, Last Ship and Honeymoon in Vegas are the only set and confirmed new scores.  Others that are very likely to debut this season are Finding Neverland and Fun Home. After that its a bit of a guessing game as to what will be ready/get financing in time. But those with Broadway hopes for this season: King Kong, Bull Durham, and Diner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

What are the chances of Larry David getting nominated/winning for Shiva?

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

Larry David is in with a chance of a Best Actor in a Play nom for Shiva

Helen Mirren is basically a lock to win Best Actress in a Play for the Broadway transfer of The Audience, which won her an Olivier Award in 2012. Mirren recreates her performance as Queen Elizabeth II, and has like 1,000 different costume and wig changes. It has TONY written all over it. Only a Grammy to go, then! 

ReplyCopy URL
    dude93
    Topics:

The Harvey Weinstein-produced Finding Neverland will also hit Broadway next spring, and I have a feeling with Weinstein’s magic campaigning style, we could see a big sweep for that show. It will definitely score nods for best musical, best leading actor, best leading actress (could Laura Michelle Kelly give O’Hara and Chenoweth a run for their money), and a couple of featured nods too… It should also pick up a few design Tony nods, but won’t have enough steam to beat the potential beauty of the Beaumont’s King & I. Thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

If The Visit somehow makes it in this season from its Williamstown staging (a possible run with a non-profit?), then all other musical actresses will have to hang up the phone, because Chita Rivera will win her third.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

After seeing Honeymoon in Vegas I think it’s well positioned for nominations for Best Musical, Actor in a Musical for Rob McClure (who could easily win), Featured Actress in a Musical for Nancy Opel and Best Original Score for JRB. The score is excellent but is not as magical as Bridges’ was last year. With the overdue Jeanine Tesori in competition for Fun Home and the famous Sting in competition for The Last Ship, he may have to settle for just a nomination this year (though he could win for orchestrations). Danza and O’Malley, both solid but not as memorable, could get nominated if their categories lack major competition but are at risk of being snubbed.

A Director nomination for Garry Griffin is possible but the upcoming onslaught of revivals could dominate the category. I don’t think a book nomination will happen as the book is quite sloppy and many of the characters (particularly O’Malley’s Betsy) are quite poorly written.

Keep in mind that I saw a preview of the show (albeit a very late one) and not an official performance, so many of my comments/predictions could prove moot if the show is drastically changed before opening.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinichelsea
    Participant
    Topics:

Musical Field (so far):

Lead Actress:
    Sierra Boggess, It Shoulda Been You

***Kristin Chenoweth, On the 20th Century

Kelli O’Hara, The King and I

Laura Michelle Kelly, Finding Neverland

Lead Actor:

Michael Cerveris, Fun Home

***Anthony Warlow, Doctor Zhivago

Rob McClure, Honeymoon in Vegas

Saul Williams, Holler if ya Hear Me

Featured Actress:

Ruthie Ann Miles, The King and I

Nancy Opel, Honeymoon in Vegas

Saycon Sengbloh, Holler if Ya Hear Me

***Tonya Pinkins, Holler if Ya Hear Me

Featured Actor:

Max Von Essen, An American in Paris

***Mark Linn-Baker, On the Twentieth Century

Michael McGrath, On the Twentieth Century

David St. Louis, Side Show

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 444 total)
Reply To: 2015 Tony Awards (Predictions Center Now Open)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.