Home Forums Theater 2016 Best Musical Theater Album Grammy Nominees

2016 Best Musical Theater Album Grammy Nominees

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

With Grammy nominations set to be announced on Monday, I’d like to start a discussion on the Best Musical Theater Album category.

These are the following albums that were released between the eligibility period of October 1st, 2014 and September 30th, 2015:

An American in Paris
    Doctor Zhivago
    Finding Neverland
    Fun Home
    Gigi
    Honeymoon in Vegas
    It Shoulda Been You
    The King & I
    The Last Ship
    On the Town
    On the Twentieth Century
    Side Show
    Something Rotten!
    The Visit

*Hamilton was digitally released before the deadline, so will it be eligible this year? If so, I think we may already know who the winner will be.

So who do you guys think will make the 3-5 nominees for Best Musical Theater Album this year?

OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

KaRol posted that Hamilton is on the nominating ballot. It’s victory is a foregone conclusion. I would think The King & I, Fun Home, An American in Paris, and On the Town will most likely complete the ballot

For me, the interesting aspect of Monday’s announcement will be to see if the overwhelming enthusiastic response in both sales and reviews will allow Hamilton to return an Original Cast Recording to the nominees for Album of the Year.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see The Last Ship on the nominees list, because the Grammys have been known to notice Sting once or twice.

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

For me, the interesting aspect of Monday’s announcement will be to see if the overwhelming enthusiastic response in both sales and reviews will allow Hamilton to return an Original Cast Recording to the nominees for Album of the Year.

Hamilton placed in the top 10 of Rolling Stone‘s Top 50 Albums of the Year, which is no small feat!

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going out on a wild last minute limb and saying Hamilton can make it into Album of the Year. So many people wrote about how it was the best rap album in general this year so I think it could gain support 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going out on a wild last minute limb and saying Hamilton can make it into Album of the Year. So many people wrote about how it was the best rap album in general this year so I think it could gain support 

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I would literally explode.

And with a relatively weak year for music, it isn’t completely, utterly, horribly out of the realm of possibilities.   

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Nominees are

An American in Paris
    Fun Home
    Hamilton

The King and I
    Something Rotten!

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like Hamilton will become the first musical since Hairspray to win the Grammy before winning a single Tony Award.

At least some of the other musicals coming this season won’t have to compete with Hamilton for this award next year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I’m so disappointed that the cast recording of The Visit did not get nominated. It is by far my favorite from last season and a stellar recording of a phenomenal Kander and Ebb score. It definitely deserved the slot occupied by Something Rotten!

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Id agree PianoMann. I enjoyed Something Rotten! but I have to say it doesnt play nearly as well as a recording. Though I might have given the last slot to The Last Ship instead of The Visit. Both good listens. (unless The Last Ship was eligible the year before with the weird cutoff dates? The Grammys are a complete mystery to me and continually come up with a baffling group of nominees in the major categories).

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

The OCR of The Last Ship was released in December 2014 making it eligible for nomination this year. The Grammys tend to follow the Tony Award nomination list fairly closely. Something Rotten earned ten Tony Award nominations. The Last Ship received two.

ReplyCopy URL
    clay bryce
    Participant
    Topics:

Absolutely The Visit deserved a nomination.  I’d take out Something Rotten first and then The King & I to make room for The Sublime & Divine Chita Rivera!

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

As much as I enjoyed Something Rotten, I don’t think it holds up as well on the recording as it does live and it wore out its welcome quickly for me personally. The weak link here is actually An American in Paris for me….those two should have been replaced by The Visit and especially On the Town: that recording was stunning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Grammy award winner Jonathan Groff!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: 2016 Best Musical Theater Album Grammy Nominees

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.