Home Forums Theater 2016 New York Times Tony Voter Poll

2016 New York Times Tony Voter Poll

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m a little surprised by the “too close to call” races. I thought Lange had this in the bag.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Please keep in mind that the poll only surveyed about 171 out of 846 voters. Who knows what the race is really like among all of them.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    ReplyCopy URL
    David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I have to agree with Jeffrey that the New York Times poll has to be taken with a grain of salt. As I’ve mentioned time and time again in Tony slugfests (sorry to beating the topic like a dead horse) they have often led predictors in the completely wrong direction.

I agree Gus, Lange seems to be the far and away frontrunner. I wouldn’t rule out a surprise victory by either Michelle Williams or Lupita Nyong’o, but it would be considered quite a large upset.

Also, nary a mention of Danny Burstein. I hoped that he would have at least been mentioned by some of the voters polled and therefore been considered a dark horse candidate. I’m less likely to end up predicting him as a result, to be honest.

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Please keep in mind that the poll only surveyed about 171 out of 846 voters. Who knows what the race is really like among all of them.

Of course, but it’s a really damn impressive sample if you ask me.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

With a heavy heart, I have changed my prediction for Musical Revival from She Loves Me to The Color Purple. Sigh.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Damn, I was really hoping they would include director predictions in here, specifically for Play (obviously). Though re: Danny, he could have been mentioned by voters and just not put in the article because he didn’t have the majority of votes. This annual Times survey can be helpful, but they usually only state the frontrunner. They don’t get into the stats of the race the way GoldDerby does.

I too was surprised at the “close” race for Lange. If she loses it’ll be the biggest upset of the night. And alas, this still leaves me with zero confidence with my Best Actor (Play) pick. sigh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I have been following the NY Times Tony voters poll for years and they’re almost always right. I would say at least 90% of the time. A sampling of 171 voters is HUGE when there are only 775 total voters. I’m also surprised Jessica Lange is too close to call and that The Color Purple is way ahead of She Loves Me, but I guess we’ll see on Sunday.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I will groan audibly if Frank Langella wins a fourth Tony award ): Worried that out of sight, out of mind will hurt Mark Strong’s chances, but I am still predicting he will prevail.

I am most interested in Blankenbuehler vs. Glover – I have no idea who will win; and the design categories are up in the air, esp. in the plays categories (Will Beowulf Borrit’s lake set in Therese Raquin prevail? Is Jan Versyweld’s spare lighting design going to win? Can Jane Greenwood finally win a competitive Tony on her 19th nomination or will Tom Scutt (my prediction) win instead?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Do the Tony voters belong to branches like the Oscars, with an actors branch, directors branch, designers branch, publicists branch, etc.?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think so.

Unlike the Oscars which has separate branches nominating in one category and then voting in all of them, the Tonys have a group of up to 50 nominators who go see everything on Broadway throughout the season. Then a larger group of at least 800 voters vote on the winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think so.

Unlike the Oscars which has separate branches nominating in one category and then voting in all of them, the Tonys have a group of up to 50 nominators who go see everything on Broadway throughout the season. Then a larger group of at least 800 voters vote on the winners.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew about the nomination and voting process, but I had never known if there were separate branches or not.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: 2016 New York Times Tony Voter Poll

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.