Home Forums Theater 2016 Pulitzer Prize for drama forecast

2016 Pulitzer Prize for drama forecast

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
SamEckmann
M H
benutty
  • Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

The Pulitzer Prize for Drama will be announced on April 18. With only a week to go, what are the options? I doubt the jury will be predictable and pick Hamilton as one of its three finalsts, but it’s quite possible that the committee overrules the jury and votes for Hamilton anyway. I guess they must have seen it. But what about the plays? What’s eligible and has a shot?

SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Normally I would say that the Pulitzer jury would go against the grain, but then again, nothing has really ever come close to the massive buzz of Hamilton. So it is still very much out front. The fact that it is technically based on the biography could hold it back since they love to reward original stories. But with its achievements in music its hard not to call Hamilton original. 

That said, this group tends to pick something more intimate and left of center (see: Water by the Spoonful). And several Off-Broadway plays should be at the top of thier list

Most likey:
    1.) The Christians
    2.) Hir
    3.) John
    4.) Whorl Inside a Loop (maybe)

I would say at least 1 of the above will join Hamilton on the finalists list, with The Humans probably being the only other Broadway offering. 

ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t see “Hamilton” not winning. It very much like “Rent” in 1996, both deserving and also too big to ignore. Nothing has really come close in the 20 years since. 

ReplyCopy URL
    benutty
    Keymaster
    Topics:

question: is this prize determined on the writing of the play itself, or is seeing the play and judging it based off of the performance of the writing also a determining factor?

knowing very little, I also think Hamilton will prove too big to ignore here 

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The production is taken into account for the Pulitzer. However, the award is given to the playwright (or composer, lyricist, and book writer in the case of musicals). So the actual quality and structure of the writing is paramount to the award and is probably the reason why so many intimate dramas can surprise here.

Past examples of this: The Flick beating Fun Home or Water by the Spoonful beating Sons of the Prophet.

Hamilton is probably too big to ignore. But if there was one award it could possibly lose, this would be the one. But I am predicting it will win, joined by finalists The Humans, The Christians, and perhaps Hir

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

And Hamilton has it! Miranda is going to have the most incredible awards run ever for this show. 

The other two finalists were:
    The Humans by Stephen Karam
    Gloria by Branden Jacobs-Jenkins 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: 2016 Pulitzer Prize for drama forecast

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.