Home Forums Theater 2016 Tony Award Presenters

2016 Tony Award Presenters

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Alex Meyer
adamunc
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The first two presenters for this year’s Tony Awards have been revealed on Twitter, and they are Audra McDonald and Carole King.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

And now Cate Blanchett, Nathan Lane, Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Patina Miller, Saoirse Ronan, and Oprah Winfrey have been announced.
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Oprah-Winfrey-Cate-Blanchett-Carole-King-More-Will-Present-at-the-2016-Tony-Awards-20160526

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder which category Oprah will present. I can already imagine her presenting something big like Best Musical, and saying, in her famous Oprah voice, “And the Tony goes to….HAMILLLTONNNNNNNNNNN!”

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I think she’s likely going to introduce The Color Purple like she did 10 years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, that’s a good point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Who do you think will actually present the Best Play and Best Musical categories? A bona fide theater legend, perhaps?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ll see when they announce more presenters. What do you think Carole King will be presenting? I could see her introducing Waitress because of her connections with Jessie Mueller (who won the Tony for playing her) and Sara Bareilles (who performed with her on the 2014 Grammys). Though if I were a producer of the Tony Awards, the first person I’d get to introduce Waitress would be Sara Bareilles. So as of now, I have King presenting Best Original Score (if that category ends up on the air this year).

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen anything yet about what the nominated shows will be performing. Miranda said Hamilton will be doing material not seen on TV yet. I would love for them to do “Satisfied”. Laura Benanti said in a tweet she will be performing in her pajamas on the Tonys, so does that mean “Where’s My Shoe”?

Bright Star will likely do “Sun Is Gonna Shine” since that seems to be their signature song. Shuffle Along will undoubtedly showcase Audra. Seems “She Used to Be Mine” is the obvious choice for Waitress. Fiddler will have to showcase Burstein (“Tradition”? “If I Were a Rich Man”?) Color Purple may do a company number since Erivo just did “I’m Here” on Colbert. I have no idea what School of Rock would do. And I bet we get a number from On Your Feet! even though it’s not nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

She Loves Me could be doing Ice Cream followed by the title song. I could see The Color Purple starting with I’m Here followed by the finale.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I would assume She Loves Me tries to do a medley to showcase all their name stars.

School of Rock will probably do “Stick it to the Man”.

If Bright Star is trying to push Camren Cusack and her talents as a reason to see the show (and it seems they are) then perhaps they’ll include a solo moment for her before going into “Sun is Gonna Shine Again”?

Id love to see Spring Awakening to “Totally Fucked” but considering the sign language includes the middle finger…I’m not sure CBS will let them do that. Maybe “Bitch of Living” instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been thinking School of Rock could do You’re in the Band.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d love to see Spring Awakening to “Totally Fucked” but considering the sign language includes the middle finger…I’m not sure CBS will let them do that. Maybe “Bitch of Living” instead.

We’ll have to wait and see if the revival will even be performing. I recently heard Andy Mientus talking in a podcast about how difficult it would be to get most of the cast scattered out all over the country back in New York just to do a 3-4 minute performance on TV. Especially with how they would have to tweak some of the staging for the cameras, it would be hard to let the deaf performers know what to do.

P.S.
    If you go back and watch the original production’s performance on the Tonys from 2007, they actually did a medley that included Totally Fucked, only the F word was bleeped.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I know the F word was bleeped, I’m just wondering if there is a comparable censoring with ASL.

And they have absolutely already decided if they are performing or not. The Tonys are 13 days away. No way the performance slots are up in the air

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Andy said they’ll probably do Touch Me like they did on Seth Meyers. If Hamilton wants to do a full ensemble piece, I hope they do My Shot. I would love a melody that involved Schuyler Sisters and You’ll Be Back as well but that’ll probably not happen

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Barbra Streisand has just been announced as a presenter. This will be her first appearance on the Tony Awards since 1970. http://www.broadway.com/buzz/185035/the-legend-returns-to-broadway-barbra-streisand-will-present-at-2016-tony-awards/

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
Reply To: 2016 Tony Award Presenters

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.