Home Forums Theater 2017 Drama Desk Awards

2017 Drama Desk Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
SamEckmann
Alex Meyer
  • Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Laura Benanti and Javier Munoz will announce the 2017 Drama Desk Awards nominations tomorrow. The ceremony itself will take place on Sunday, June 4, with Michael Urie returning as host.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Holy Snubs, Batman! Where to even begin..

Anastasia and Come From Away are the only Tony eligible shows nominated for Best Musical.

Kevin Kline is again the only Best Actor – Play nominee who can go on to the Tony (John Douglas Thompson is eligible there in Featured)

The late breaking Bandstand manages Music, Book, Orchestrations, and Actress…yet misses a Best Musical citaiton.

They have a Solo Performance category, yet omitted Simon McBurney. Which is…just not correct.

Oslo is in for Best Play…but its only other nom is Featured Actor Michael Aronov. (Sher snubbed as Director, as well as their projections for which they have a separate category).

New elements for The Great Comet were eligible but Benton and Groban got the shaft.

It looks like Come From Away will take at least one Best Musical trophy this season

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

More Best Play oddities:

Sweat is nominated for Best Play,  no other nominations

Indecent is nominated for Best Play with Lighting Design as its only other mention (egregious when they have a specific category for “music in a play”). Taichman missing Best Director for this is, frankly, ridiculous.

Heisenberg and Six Degrees of Separation completely shut out.

Pretty disappointing, since I found it to be an unusually strong crop of plays this year on Broadway. I could easily make a category of 6 worthy Broadway contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Sweat was also nominated for Fight Choreography, if you want to count that.

Groundhog Day, A Bronx Tale, and War Paint must feel really smacked in the face, with the Percy Jackson thing getting in for Best Musical over them.

Are we going to have to consider Anastasia a contender for major Tony nominations? Didn’t really foresee that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

They really showered the off-Broadway shows with attention this year. Not much info we can take to the Tony’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Perhaps Cate Blanchett gets in after all?

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (1988) – A Cry in the Dark

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Sweat was also nominated for Fight Choreography, if you want to count that. Groundhog Day, A Bronx Tale, and War Paint must feel really smacked in the face, with the Percy Jackson thing getting in for Best Musical over them. Are we going to have to consider Anastasia a contender for major Tony nominations? Didn’t really foresee that.

Ah, missed the fight Choreography category! Thanks.

The thing with Anastasia is it has the potential for many “below the line nominations.” It will certainly be a contender for the design categories, and also boasts Ahrens and Flaherty and Terrence McNally behind the score and book. So if you’re checking off the show for design awards, plus music and book…suddenly you realize you’ve given it a healthy does of nominations already. So by the time you’re making Best Musical considerations, it may stand out more in a voters mind.

I still think the positive critical response and rooting factor over Andy Karl and his injury put Groundhog Day ahead of it for the Tonys. But Anastasia is definitely in the running. (and Bandstand seems to be a last minute dark horse in the race).

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Bandstand is not a last minute darkhorse for a nomination. It got bad reviews as everyone expected. The only possibility is Anastasia getting in for the fifth slot after the four that are already locked. Again, don’t take these too seriously when it comes to the Tonys. Dear Evan Hansen will be sweeping those.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I so want Bandstand to be nominted for Best Musical (: Here’s hoping. I am going to have to reconsider my predictions.

John Douglas Thompson in lead…

Cynthia Nixon: if she is eligible for Featured she might win over Johanna Day, who was snubbed here…

I so hope Laura Osnes is nominated! Christy Altamore is a certainty imo now.

Disappointed that Christian Borle and Andrew Rannells were snubbed ):

I guess boring Kevin Kline will win another Tony ):

Is Mary Beth Peil a lock on a Featured Actress nomination now?

Ruben Santiago-Hudson and Daniel Sullivan (who I predict will win) are the only eligible Tony Director category nominees…

So happy about Bandstand doing so well! Just wish it also was a Best Musical nominee…

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Here is an article that lists the Drama Desk’s track record when it comes to the Tonys…
    http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Drama-Desk-Awards-Nominees–What-It-All-Means-for-the-2017-Tony-Awards-20170427

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Bandstand got a bad review from the Times. Several other critics raved about it (AmNY, TimeOut, NJ.com) while many had overall positive thoughts despite some  issues (Deadline, Chicago Tribune, NBC NY).

In any case, reviews dont necessarily translate to Tonys success or lack thereof. Just go back and read some Kinky Boots reviews. In Bandstand’s corner is the fact that its not a “based on a movie” property like Anastasia or Groundhog Day. I’m not currently predicting in in my 4, but it will certainly get a few votes simply because its an original piece of theater. Its definitely has a shot for Actress and Choreography at the least.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It could also potentially be a surprise nominee like Bright Star was last year. Though this year, there are already two completely original musicals that are going to be nominated (Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen).

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Perhaps Cate Blanchett gets in after all?

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (1988) – A Cry in the Dark

I’m going to predict the Actress In A Play nominees will be Laurie Metcalf, Allison Janney, Laura Linney, Jennifer Ehle and Sally Field. I think Cate Blanchett will miss out since The Present has already closed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

The Drama Desk Awards are only a week away now! Who do you think will win? For locks, I think we’ll see a lot of the same winners from other ceremonies win again, such as Oslo for Best Play, The Band’s Visit for Best Musical, Hello, Dolly! for Best Revival Of A Musical, Kevin Kline for Best Actor In A Play, Bette Midler for Best Actress In A Musical, Andy Karl for Best Actor In A Musical (since Ben Platt wasn’t eligible to be nominated), and Cynthia Nixon for Best Featured Actress In A Play. What locks do you guys think are bound to happen? Also, what do you think will win in the craft categories?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: 2017 Drama Desk Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.