Home Forums Theater 2017 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album

2017 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

This may be a little early, but I’m curious to see what your thoughts are.

With Hamilton already winning the award this past year, that shall leave room for the other Broadway shows from last season to compete for next year’s Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album. Eligibility period began on October 1st, 2015 and will end on September 30th, 2016.

Here is a list of eligible contenders:
    Allegiance
    Amazing Grace
    Bright Star
    The Color Purple
    Fiddler on the Roof
    School of Rock
    She Loves Me
    Tuck Everlasting
    Waitress

On the bubble:
    Disaster!-The cast album will debut in September. The show itself may have gotten an underwhelming response, but considering it utilized a catalogue of 1970’s songs, could it still have a chance?
    On Your Feet!-Normally, jukebox/biomusicals tend to do very well in this category. But since this was a live cast recording, does it still have chance? I can’t think of many live recordings that have been nominated before.

So what do you guys think?

Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on shows that are out right now that weren’t eligible for the Grammy this year, I’d say the five nominees will be:

Bright Star
    The Color Purple
    Fiddler On The Roof
    She Loves Me
    Waitress

Of these 5, I think The Color Purple would probably win. However, if upcoming productions like Cats, Falsettos and Holiday Inn release their albums before the eligibility deadline, then one of them could sneak in there as well.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Alex Meyer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say Bright Star, The Color Purple, and Waitress could be possible winners since some of the names attached to them have had history with the Grammys before (Steve Martin & Edie Brickell, Jennifer Hudson, and Sara Bareilles).

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t count out Tuck Everlasting. It’s has beautiful and traditional score that could be refreshing from these rock/bluegrass/pop shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

We’re only two days away from the eligibility deadline for this year’s Grammy Awards. So does anyone have an opinion on this subject?

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

This feels like one of those years where we could get a real WTF winner. I would love to see She Loves Me take it, but Waitress, Bright Star, and School of Rock have varying types of name recognition attached to them. The Color Purple could also win just to award Erivo’s performance, as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

I am at a loss to identify the five nominees without an eligibility list, but I know that I am still playing my OCR of The Color Purple. I can’t imagine that thrilling recording not receiving the Grammy. Cynthia Erivo’s rendition of “I’m Here” is a classic for the ages.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’ll be a showdown of The Color Purple vs. She Loves Me. If one of them should win, then Cynthia Erivo or Laura Benanti will be halfway towards EGOT.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Alex Meyer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if School Of Rock could be a potential surprise nominee, because of the fact that it’s written by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I bet The Color Purple takes it.

The Grammys have never been that super-enamored with Andrew Lloyd Webber. He actually hasn’t won a competitive Grammy since 1986 – he lost for both Phantom and Sunset Boulevard. They didn’t even nominate his Oscar-winning Evita song.

COMING SOON to The Awards Connection…Horror at the Oscars!

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The ones I feel confident for nominations:

“Waitress”
    “The Color Purple”
    “She Loves Me”
    “On Your Feet!”

Then the last slot is sort of a toss up between “Bright Star”, “School of Rock” and “Fiddler on the Roof”.

“Waitress” has the cache of Sara Bareilles who is a 5 time Grammy nominee (including a surprise best album nod in 2014). The show plays well on an album, and since they get to vote for “one of their own”, I think its out front for me.

Though “On Your Feet” didn’t light up the Tonys, the Grammys are not voting on the best show, just best album (why everyone slept on “Beautiful” a couple years ago is beyond me. Its an album of Carole king songs, of course they were going to vote for it!). Estefan is a 3 time Grammy winner, and 4 time Latin Grammy winner. I think its dangerous to count out this album.

I saw “Fiddler” on Broadway but haven’t actually listened to the cast recording. If the glorious sound of the orchestra was able to be duplicated on the album, then they’re probably in. On the other hand “Bright Star” provides a bluegrass sound rarely heard in this category, and Steve Martin is actually a 5 time Grammy winner. I’m not sure the show plays as well as an album as some of its competition, which is my only hesitancy behind it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Bright Star is a lock for a nomination. I think because Grammy voters will recognize Steve Martin and Edie Brickell, as they were given Grammys a few years ago for a bluegrass album they did together.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love to see She Loves Me take it, but Waitress, Bright Star, and School of Rock have varying types of name recognition attached to them.

The original cast recording of She Loves Me actually won the Grammy in 1964. I remember hearing lyricist Sheldon Harnick talking about how the original production suffered from opening the same season as Funny Girl and Hello, Dolly!. When they were nominated, they didn’t even attend the Grammys because they felt things couldn’t get any worse…until they actually won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw “Fiddler” on Broadway but haven’t actually listened to the cast recording. If the glorious sound of the orchestra was able to be duplicated on the album, then they’re probably in.

I don’t know if Grammy voters have actually seen any of the shows themselves, they may just be judging the albums themselves.

Plus, here’s a couple reasons why I think the new cast recording of Fiddler on the Roof is a possibility. One of the principal soloists on this album is Alexandra Silber, a previous nominee for the San Francisco Symphony recording of West Side Story. There’s even a bonus track performed by Itzhak Perlman, a recipient of 16 Grammy Awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder how many Grammy voters are eligible to vote this category.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Reply To: 2017 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.