2017 New York Times Tony Voter Poll

Home // Forums // Theater // 2017 New York Times Tony Voter Poll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

This year, the New York Times interviewed about 67 out of 839 Tony voters. What do you think?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/08/theater/tony-voters-point-to-tight-races-and-sure-bets.html?smid=tw-nyttheater&smtyp=cur

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Perhaps Metcalf wins after all?

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (2006) – The Devil Wears Prada

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

And here I was hoping this would clear up the top two categories! I guess we will have to prepare for wrong answers on our ballots

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing I’d like to see all awards shows do in the future is release the numbers of how many votes each individual nominee received in every category. They don’t need to reveal the voter’s identity; just the number of votes each candidate received. That way we’d know for sure who truly won in a landslide and who squeaked by with just a few votes. After all, we always know the results of how many votes a political candidate got. Why not do it for awards shows too?

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I was very surprised at this year’s NY Times poll. I really didn’t think the top two categories were that close. I’m still going with the favorites Dear Evan Hansen and Oslo. It also looks like we have our answer for lead actress in a play – Laurie Metcalf will easily win. I thought that would be a close race, but I guess not. Too bad they didn’t poll the featured and design categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Please keep in mind that the poll only surveyed about 67 out of 839 Tony voters. So that’s really not a great barometer. We’ve seen some instances in the past where the frontrunners projected by the voter polls didn’t go on to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I think 67 out of 839 is a pretty sizable amount. We’re not talking about the Oscars or Grammys or Emmys that have thousands of voters. The NY Times poll has been the best barometer for the Tony winners so I’ll almost always go with what they say, except in 2013 when they picked Laura Osnes over Patina Miller. I knew Patina would win so I didn’t bother listening to them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

They also said Tom Hanks was winning in a landslide, yet Tracy Letts won for Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

This year is a pretty big sample. In the past, they’ve often done about 40 voters.

Seeing that Natasha is not really a factor for Best Musical, I’m wondering if we need to rethink it winning for Direction…

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Though not as big of a sample from last year where they interviewed 171 Tony voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, and who needed that big a sample last year, when we knew what was going to win? This year is when we needed that one! 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Anchovy
    Participant
    Topics:

Awww, I really thought Laura Linney had a pretty good chance at winning best actress. Obviously she still can, but I went ahead and changed my ballot to having Metcalf winning. Most predictors have been saying Metcalf was going to take it, anyway.

Even though at this point I think Ben Platt beating Andy Karl 2/1 sounds pretty likely, I’m going to keep Andy Karl as my choice for best actor of stubbornness and support. Ben Platt is an incredible actor, no doubt, (I even got to see him as Arnold Cunningham in BOM when I went to New York and he is my fave Cunningham!!) but there’s just something that’s exciting about rooting for the underdog.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

They also said Tom Hanks was winning in a landslide, yet Tracy Letts won for Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?.

Just found that article and it never says that at all. They picked Hanks, but made it seem like a three-way race. Never said landslide or alluded to one:

“Mr. Hanks delivers a solid performance, and he has been turning out for Broadway industry events (also known as Tony campaign stops) with geniality and humility to spare. Many voters said they had a soft spot for him too. While others believe that Nathan Lane is giving his best performance yet in a play (“The Nance”), and still others insist that Mr. Letts is the best George in a “Virginia Woolf” ever, Mr. Hanks will take the Tony.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/07/theater/theaterspecial/predictions-from-tony-award-voters.html

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have switched back to Laurie Metcalf – I thought The Little Foxes would resonate more with voters this year and Linney would be the frontrunner. I simply can’t decide between Joanna Day and Cynthia Nixon! With Linney not winning I think Day has a better shot at it. I am so completely uncertain! (: I still think Oslo will win Best Play though. (sigh) this is such a hard year to predict! Guess that makes it fun???

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Laurie Metcalf winning, but I think Cynthia Nixon is a lock at this point.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: 2017 New York Times Tony Voter Poll

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.