Home Forums Theater 2017 Outer Critics Circle Awards

2017 Outer Critics Circle Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Djoko
Jeffrey Kare
Philip
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Nominations for the 2017 Outer Critics Circle Awards will be announced by two of last year’s winners, Danny Burstein and Jane Krakowski on April 25th. Winners will be announced on May 8th, followed by the awards presentation at Sardi’s on May 25th.
    http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/jane-krakowski-and-danny-burstein-to-announce-2017_80336.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=16mar2017

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Not as embarrassing as some years, but an indication that not having Evan and most of Natasha in the mix leads to some filler. Anastasia, really?

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

No Orchestrations nod for Sunset Boulevard? Err…

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (1988) – A Cry in the Dark

ReplyCopy URL
    KarlVillalobos
    Participant
    Topics:

Andy Karl will win that Tony!!

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am glad for the great showing for Falsettos.

Anastasia? The reviews I have read have been mixed to negative. Boy, did they hate Amelie!

Surprised to see Sally Field on the list…

A Bronx Tale did surprisingly well…

Laura Linney, Cynthia Nixon and Richard Thomas! I think RT will be nominated and CN too (I don’t think she is available to predict on here?)

Oslo only got one acting nomination? Surprised….

Am I right that Kevin Kline is the only Actor in a Play nominee that is eligible for the Tony?

Any big omissions anyone sees?

ReplyCopy URL
    Eduardo Galhardo
    Participant
    Topics:

Cate Blanchett doesn’t deserve a nomination for The Present?

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

^Yup, Kline is the only man in that category eligible for the Tony. Glick was eligible for the Off-Broadway run, McBurney was eligible under solo performance, so they were out.

Interesting that Ruffalo and Hawkins didn’t show up. And I love Mays, but his role doesn’t offer him much compared to his competition.

In general its silly to use this group as a precursor since there is not overlap in voters, and tastes vary from the Tonys. Though it is worth pointing out that this is a group Bandstand and Amelie should have done decently well with. Its possible not all the voters saw Bandstand (it still hasnt opened yet), but they probably all saw Amelie.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

My memory is that this was the group that gave A Catered Affair a gazillion nominations and then ACA did not fare all that well at the Tonys?

I just don’t get all the nominations for Anastasia – this year’s A Catered Affair?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

American Psycho also received 8 nominations, and we all saw how it turned out at the Tonys. Not to mention that Young Frankenstein won the Outstanding New Broadway Musical award in a tie with Xanadu in 2008.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Aside from Blanchett, the biggest omission I see is Josh Groban, whom I assume was eligible since he wasn’t part of any off-Broadway incarnation of Natasha, et al. Odd that Nick Cordero would get in over him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Especially since Cordero will be eligible as a featured actor at the Tonys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

These awards are useless when it comes to the Tonys. Anastasia getting all those noms is laughable, but without DEH and Comet they had to put in filler noms. I still see Come From Away winning here. Looks like Indecent will win here over OSLO. Andy Karl will win here and Drama Desks without Ben Platt eligible, but not the Tony to whomever wrote that stupid statement above.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Andy Karl will win that Tony!!

Ben Platt is still the Tony frontrunner. I imagine the votes between him and Andy Karl will be close, but I think given that Dear Evan Hansen is expected to win Best Musical, Best Score, Best Book and Best Featured Actress for Rachel Bay Jones, I can’t see why Platt won’t win as well. It’d look really weird if they all won, but he didn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

Christian Borle was nominated for Falsettos rather than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Given that and the horrid reviews Charlie has been getting, do you think he’ll be nominated for Falsettos at the Tony’s.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
Reply To: 2017 Outer Critics Circle Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.