Home Forums Theater 2018 Grammy Award For Best Musical Theater Album

2018 Grammy Award For Best Musical Theater Album

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
  • Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

The Grammys aren’t until next February, but that doesn’t mean we can’t predict what the nominees in this category will be, especially since most of the eligible contenders have already been released. As of right now, I predict the 5 nominees here will be:

Come From Away
    Dear Evan Hansen
    Falsettos
    Hello, Dolly!
    Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet Of 1812

Out of all these, I think Dear Evan Hansen will walk away as the winner. But what do all of you think?

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Alex Meyer.
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Hello, Dolly! could win for a couple reasons:
    1. It of course features Bette Midler, a three-time Grammy winner.
    2. The original cast recording with Carol Channing was nominated back in 1965, but lost to Funny Girl.

As for other nominees that I think are possible…
    Anastasia-It has a score by Lynn Ahrens & Stephen Flaherty, who’ve been nominated in this category three times before for both the concept album and original cast recordings of Ragtime, and Seussical.
    Holiday Inn-It’s filled with songs by Irving Berlin, who received a Lifetime Achievement Grammy in 1968.
    Sunday in the Park with George-If the new cast recording with Jake Gyllenhaal ends up being released in time, it could contend as well. The original cast recording with Mandy Patinkin & Bernadette Peters won this award in 1985.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I was also wondering if Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet Of 1812 could win, since Josh Groban has never won a Grammy before and may be some voters may feel he’s overdue for a win?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

He’s only been nominated twice before, so he’s not as overdue as Sara Bareilles, who couldn’t even prevail with Waitress earlier this year.

One album I forgot to mention was the new live West End cast recording of Dreamgirls. The original Broadway cast recording won this award in 1983. The soundtrack for the film version was nominated for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media in 2008, while one of the new songs (‘Love You I Do’) won Best Song Written for Visual Media. Not to mention that Amber Riley is on the new cast recording, and she’s been nominated three times before for Glee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I suspect Dear Evan Hansen prevails.

OSCAR FLASHBACK: 20 Years of Streep (2013) – August: Osage County

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone think Bandstand could possibly be a surprise nominee?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The new Broadway cast recording of Sunday in the Park with George will be available for streaming (and digital purchase) tomorrow…
    http://www.playbill.com/article/sunday-in-the-park-with-george-album-with-jake-gyllenhaal-and-annaleigh-ashford-sets-september-release

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Now we’ll have to see whether the producers plan to submit this for consideration since they didn’t submit the show for the Tonys.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t imagine they won’t submit for the Grammys. But I don’t think it makes a hoot of difference who submits what, because I also can’t imagine Dear Evan Hansen not winning.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: 2018 Grammy Award For Best Musical Theater Album

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.