Home Forums Theater 2018 Tony Races: Below-the-Line Categories

2018 Tony Races: Below-the-Line Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
FreemanGriffin
Lindsayisagod..
  • Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Last year, I started a thread for we users to discuss our predictions for what’ll be Tony nominated in the below-the-line categories (such as orchestrations and all the design awards). So I thought I’d do the same thing again this year.

I’ve compiled a list of all the potential contenders that not only have been seen or heard so far, but have also earned a lot of acclaim.

Best Orchestrations:
    Tom Kitt-SpongeBob SquarePants
    AnnMarie Milazzo & Michael Starobin-Once on This Island
    Jamshied Sharifi-The Band’s Visit
    Jonathan Tunick-Carousel

*Given that Lincoln Center’s production of My Fair Lady is utilizing the original orchestrations, I doubt they’ll even be eligible.

Best Sound Design of a Musical:
    Kai Harada-The Band’s Visit
    Peter Hylenski-Frozen
    Peter Hylenski-Once on This Island
    Gareth Owen-Summer: The Donna Summer Musical
    Marc Salzberg-My Fair Lady
    Walter Trarbach & Mike Dobson-SpongeBob SquarePants

Best Sound Design of a Play:
    Ian Dickinson for Autograph-Angels in America
    Gareth Fry-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child
    Max Pappenheim-The Children
    Fitz Patton-Three Tall Women

*Isn’t it great to have these sound categories back?

Best Lighting Design of a Musical:
    Kevin Adams-SpongeBob SquarePants
    Jules Fisher & Peggy Eisenhauer-Once on This Island
    Donald Holder-My Fair Lady
    Tyler Micoleau-The Band’s Visit
    Natasha Katz-Frozen

Best Lighting Design of a Play:
    Christopher Akerlind-Time and the Conways
    Neil Austin-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child
    Paule Constable-Angels in America
    Paul Gallo-Three Tall Women
    Paul Russell-Farinelli & the King

Best Scenic Design of a Musical:
    Dane Laffrey-Once on This Island
    Christopher Oram & Finn Ross-Frozen
    Scott Pask-The Band’s Visit
    Scott Pask-Mean Girls
    Michael Yeargan-My Fair Lady
    David Zinn-SpongeBob SquarePants

Best Scenic Design of a Play:
    Miriam Buether-Three Tall Women
    Jonathan Fensom-Farinelli & the King
    Christine Jones-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child
    Ian MacNeil & Edward Pierce-Angels in America
    Neil Patel-Time and the Conways

Best Costume Design of a Musical:
    Christopher Oram-Frozen
    Clint Ramos-Once on This Island
    David Zinn-SpongeBob SquarePants
    Catherine Zuber-My Fair Lady

Best Costume Design of a Play:
    Jonathan Fensom-Farinelli & the King
    Nicky Gillibrand-Angels in America
    Tim Hatley-Travesties
    Katrina Lindsay-Harry Potter & the Cursed Child
    Ann Roth-Three Tall Women
    Paloma Young-Time and the Conways

I am planning to update this list if/when there are more worthy candidates that have been talked about after their productions start performances.

Thoughts?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Jeffrey Kare.
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Their reason for eliminating the sound categories before was stupid at best and asinine at worst. Good thing they realized the error of their ways, even thought it shouldn’t have taken them three years to do so.

ReplyCopy URL
    jman02
    Participant
    Topics:

Are sound categories back this year?

SPONGEBOB will at least get nominated for sure, if not win. They have a foley guy on stage that does all the sound effects of Spongebob and Squidward walking and all the cartoon noises live every night. And it’s almost a part of the musical score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, the sound awards are back. Though starting this year, the winners in both of those categories along with Best Orchestrations will be voted on by peer groups. So it should be interesting to see which direction they go in.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem I am having predicting in the musical categories is Summer: The Donna Summer Musical; it could get nominations for Sound, Costumes, Lighting and Orchestrations. I think the reviewsw will likely be mixed for the show but those elements might get nominations.

So based on my hunches here goes:

Best Orchestrations: The Band’s Visit, Carousel, Mean Girls and Once On This Island (if Summer is nominated, Mean Girls won’t be)

Best Sound Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, My Fair Lady, Once On This Island and Summer: The Donna Summer Musical

Best Lighting Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, Frozen, My Fair Lady, and Once On This Island

Best costume Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, Frozen, My Fair Lady and SpongeBob SquarePants

Best Scenic Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, Froze4n, My Fair Lady and Once on This Island

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Scenic Design – Play: Angels in America, Harry Potter & the Cursed Child, Junk and Lobby Hero

Best Costume Design – Play: Angels in America, Farinelli & the King, Harry Potter & the Cursed Child, and Three Tall Women

Best Lighting Design – Play: Angels in America, Harry Potter & the Cursed Child, The Iceman Cometh and Junk

Best Sound Design – Play: Angels in America, Harry Potter & the Cursed Child, Junk and Lobby Hero

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem I am having predicting in the musical categories is Summer: The Donna Summer Musical; it could get nominations for Sound, Costumes, Lighting and Orchestrations. I think the reviews will likely be mixed for the show but those elements might get nominations.

Several jukebox musicals have been nominated for Best Orchestrations and/or Sound Design in the past, so it is possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Orchestrations: The Band’s Visit, Carousel, Mean Girls and Once On This Island (if Summer is nominated, Mean Girls won’t be)

Best Sound Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, My Fair Lady, Once On This Island and Summer: The Donna Summer Musical

Best Lighting Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, Frozen, My Fair Lady, and Once On This Island

Best costume Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, Frozen, My Fair Lady and SpongeBob SquarePants

Best Scenic Design – Musical: The Band’s Visit, Froze4n, My Fair Lady and Once on This Island

Interesting that Spongebob isn’t on most of your lists, considering the rave reviews it got for its design. I would say its a major contender for scenic, and sound, possibly lights and orchestrations.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^that’s why they are called predictions and not actual nominations! (;

ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes…but I assume you want your predictions to be as close to the nominations as possible. Isn’t that the whole point?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not as convinced as others are that SpongeBob SquarePants is going to do as well with the committee members doing the nominating, that’s all. I honestly think the show is only truly competive in the Best Lead Actor in a Musical race, and I am not convinced that Ethan Slater will win that one either. I have the show nominated in five categories: Best Musical, Best Lead Actor, Best Book, Best Costume Design and Best Choreography.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

SpongeBob wont win anything, maybe Choreography.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure if SpongeBob will even be nominated for Best Choreography given that Christopher Gattelli also has My Fair Lady in contention. He’s been nominated for both of his previous collaborations with Bartlett Sher (South Pacific and The King & I), so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him nominated for their third. Though since Gattelli has a shot at two nominations for Best Choreography this year, he could be at risk of vote-splitting in the nominating process.

ReplyCopy URL
    jman02
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not as convinced as others are that SpongeBob SquarePants is going to do as well with the committee members doing the nominating, that’s all. I honestly think the show is only truly competive in the Best Lead Actor in a Musical race, and I am not convinced that Ethan Slater will win that one either. I have the show nominated in five categories: Best Musical, Best Lead Actor, Best Book, Best Costume Design and Best Choreography.

Honestly, the Book is the weakest part in SpongeBob. The Direction is much stronger, and they’ll probably see that given the musical’s not a direct copy of the TV show yet still maintains the essence of it, which is a fine line to walk.

Since it’s such a weak year for musicals for some reason, I have it getting 9/10 nominations: Best Musical, Best Direction, Best Lead Actor, Best Featured Actor (Gavin Lee), Best Scenic Design, Best Sound Design, Best Costume Design, Best Lighting Design, Best Choreography, and Best Orchestrations (no one envies Tom Kitt for stitching together all those songs coherently). Not sure with Original Score though since I don’t know how that’ll work nominations-wise, unless they do what they did with “Urban Cowboy”.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  jman02.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Lindsayisagoddess
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure if SpongeBob will even be nominated for Best Choreography given that Christopher Gattelli also has My Fair Lady in contention. He’s been nominated for both of his previous collaborations with Bartlett Sher (South Pacific and The King & I), so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him nominated for their third. Though since Gattelli has a shot at two nominations for Best Choreography this year, he could be at risk of vote-splitting in the nominating process.

Vote-splitting is a possibility but Spongebob is a much more dance-heavy show than My Fair Lady. MFL has only a few songs that justify full-blown dances, whereas Spongebob has a four-legged tap number that drove critics wild.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.