Home Forums Theater Come From Away To Open On Broadway In Febraury 2017

Come From Away To Open On Broadway In Febraury 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
  • Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

Come From Away, the musical about the bond that formed between the citizens of Gander, Newfoundland and the many passengers whose planes were diverted there due to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, will officially open on Broadway in February 2017 at a Shubert theater to be announced.

http://www.playbill.com/article/new-musical-come-from-away-will-arrive-on-broadway-in-february

SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Based on everything I’ve seen and heard from others who saw it, I’m really excited to see this. But I REALLY hope they have a good advertising strategy in place. It’ll be too easy for people to start referring to it as “that 9/11 musical”. Glad they are opening later in the season aka closer to the Tonys which it will need a boost from.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

If the show gets mixed reviews from critics but still gets a Tony nomination for Best Musical, I wonder if people will react the same way when Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got mixed reviews but still got an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, with a mixture of shock and/or disgust.

Admittedly though, I find Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close very underrated. It’s on my top 5 of films I like that everyone seems to hate. Whether that film deserved its Best Picture nomination is debatable, but it’s undeniable that Max Von Sydow’s nomination for Best Supporting Actor was well-deserved. He broke my heart in that movie without even saying a single word.

But, back to this show. I remember reading a broadway.com article about it months ago, and the comment section was really heated. One person slammed the idea of the show, calling it tasteless and insensitive (and he hadn’t even seen it) while people who had seen the show fired back at him, saying it’s the opposite. It’ll be interesting to see how this show connects with New York City audiences, for I’m sure the wounds of 9/11 still feel very raw for them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

If the show gets mixed reviews from critics but still gets a Tony nomination for Best Musical, I wonder if people will react the same way when Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close got mixed reviews but still got an Oscar nomination for Best Picture, with a mixture of shock and/or disgust.

We’ve seen several shows receive mixed critical reviews and Best Musical Tony nominations before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I made the comparison because when Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, many people accused it of stealing the spot they thought was reserved for Drive or Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2. I’m just curious if people will be just as angry if Come From Away is nominated for Best Musical and Anastasia and Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet Of 1812 are not. But then again, the Tonys have a much smaller pool to choose from than the Oscars, so all three of them will be probably be nominated alongside each other.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Alex Meyer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

It was just announced that Come From Away will begin previews on Broadway on February 18th followed by opening night on March 12th.
    http://www.broadway.com/buzz/185691/911-musical-come-from-away-announces-broadway-dates-benefit-concerts/

As Sam mentioned, it’s a good thing they’ll be opening a month and a half before Tony nominations come out so that the producers would at least be able to keep it running until then.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

It says it will open at the one of the Schubert theaters, but doesn’t mention a specific one. Which one would be best for a musical like this?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

There are currently two Shubert houses up for vacancy, the Cort Theatre and the Music Box. I don’t know whether or not any of those two would be the right size for Come From Away.

It could take the Lyceum after Oh, Hello completes its run in January.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Come From Away will be playing at the Gerard Schoenfeld Theatre…
    http://www.broadway.com/buzz/185983/911-musical-come-from-away-to-move-into-the-humans-broadway-theater/

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if this means The Humans will move to yet another theater or will close permanently until an inevitable revival 10 or 20 years later.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

The Humans will be closing on January 15th.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen it yet? I live near DC and am on the fence about seeing it. But Dear Evan Hansen was here a few years ago and I regret not seeing the try out but this just doesn’t seem like its on the same scale

ReplyCopy URL
    Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe you should see it for yourself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Alex Meyer
    Participant
    Topics:

There are currently two Shubert houses up for vacancy, the Cort Theatre and the Music Box. I don’t know whether or not any of those two would be the right size for Come From Away.

It could take the Lyceum after Oh, Hello completes its run in January.

I wonder if Amelie will ultimately open at the Lyceum. Is that a good-sized theater for a show like that?

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly, the Lyceum is not a good theater all the way around for a number of reasons. It’s small (just over 900 seats), it has three levels (producers don’t like balconies), a pretty high percentage of its seats are in that third-level balcony, and it’s “too far east”–between 6th and 7th. The last musicals to play there were The Visit, A Night with Janis Joplin, The Scottsboro Boys, and [title of show]. All were big flops, despite good reviews in some cases. Prior to those, the last musical to play there was a failed revival of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes in 1995.

It’s not really a musical-friendly house, so I would think the production team would only go there as a last resort.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.