July 16, 2016 at 5:55 am #1201873470
Playbill.com runs a weekly article series titled ‘Their Favorite Things’. In the series, they ask one member of the New York theatre community about what are some of their favorite experiences of going to the theatre.
I’d like to hear from you guys. What are some of your favorite theatrical performances you’ve ever seen in your life?
You can read about some of mine right here…
http://karereviews.weebly.com/my-favorite-theatrical-performances-part-1.htmlJuly 16, 2016 at 7:29 am #1201873492
Lily Tomlin, The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe
OSCAR FLASHBACK: Best Original Song (1977) – No Bee Gees, No Liza, No DiceJuly 19, 2016 at 12:55 pm #1201875200
Professionally, Darren Criss in Hedwig and the Angry Inch and Nathan Lane in The Addams Family
Community, I’m being wowed each night by the guy playing Rutledge in my local theater’s production of 1776. His Molasses and Rum gives me the chills every night.July 19, 2016 at 4:46 pm #1201875288
1. Jennifer Holiday in Dreamgirls. THE greatest theatrical experience of my life.
2. Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd. During intermission, I went to the box office and bought a seat for the next night’s performance.
3. The original cast of A Chorus Line. I was dining alone after the show. Baayork Lee and her guests were then seated at the next table. I couldn’t stop myself and lauded her. She took pity on me and invited me to join them. I sat and reveled in the evening. I laughed and learned. An amazing night!August 15, 2016 at 5:34 pm #1201908217
1. Ragtime (my first Broadway show…in many ways I doubt it will be topped. That cast, that score, the epic nature of it all….Audra McDonald singing Your Daddy’s Son was a moment that will forever be burned into my memory).
2. The Light in the Piazza (The Beauty Is….beauty just sums up this show. With perhaps the greatest or among the top 3 best scores written for a musical in the last 20 years, this musical was marvelous. It had such a stellar cast but Victoria Clark was stunning in one what was easily on the best musical performances I’ll ever see).
3. Miss Saigon (seeing Lea Salonga in its closing week. Need I say more?)
4. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (at a very emotional and dark time in my life, it brightened and enlightened me. Its creativity and joy gave me renewed faith to keep pursuing my goals and to move on from my past. Sometimes you find inspiration where you least expect it).
5. Cherry Jones in DOUBT (a very rich and interesting portrayal. Such a chilling final moment)
5. Christine Ebersole in GREY GARDENS (perhaps my favorite musical performance that I’ve seen live…and such a great show and ensemble to back her up!)
6. John Cameron Mitchell in HEDWIG (getting to see him play this part was like witnessing the second coming. Hyperbole isn’t even enough to explain how much I am blown away by JCM’s work on this character. A legend is still among us.
7. Pippin (Diane Paulus made magic…pardon the pun…on that stage. It was an amazing night at the theatre and even more so because it was the first show I saw after finally moving to New York.
8. Geneva Carr in Hand to God (her getting nominated for a Tony was so wonderful because despite the hilarious work by Steven Boyer,
I left the show the biggest fan of Carr. You sort of hated her but understood her and knew she was just human and flawed…it was such an intriguing performance.
9. Blackbird (in the front row, I felt like I was too close and up in their business..and it was thrilling. I went in knowing next to nothing about the plot aside from the general synopsis and by the time it was over, I was floored.
10. Jessica Lange in Long Days Journey into Night (her final scene: when the light comes on, it almost felt like a horror movie waiting for her to appear and then she descended and it was like seeing a ghost. It was one moment that I’ll never forget.
I could go on and on
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.