Home Forums Theater The Visitor musical based on the 2008 Richard Jenkins movie

The Visitor musical based on the 2008 Richard Jenkins movie

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

2008’s The Visitor that earned Richard Jenkins an Oscar nomination is getting a musical adaptation. 

Love that movie, but it never screamed ADAPT ME INTO A MUSICAL while watching it.  

vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

It definatey could work as a PLAY but as a musical….not sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting that after doing original stories with Next to Normal and If/Then, Kitt & Yorkey are choosing to adapt material this time. Perhaps the negative reactions to the story in If/Then impacted them?

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

hmm..a bit of a weird choice, but certainly not the craziest thing to be musical-ized lol.

It was only a matter of time before they adapted something though. Its incredibly hard to get an entirely original musical financed these days. If Kitt and Yorkey can pull this off it can prove to investors that they are capable of adapting something (Though Tom Kitt has already done so with High Fidelity) which is basically required because thats whats mostly on Broadway, adaptations. It can also win them back some good will after If/Then, which many considered a let down. 

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting. I think a stage play would be more sufficient opposed to a musical. The film was so subtle and slow. I don’t see how this will translate well. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.