Tony Telecast (6/7/15)

Home // Forums // Theater // Tony Telecast (6/7/15)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s a place to keep all the specific details on the show itself, to be hosted of course by Alan Cumming and Kristin Chenoweth.

First performance rumor: Despite only one nomination, Gigi will perform “The Night They Invented Champagne” on the telecast. Wouldn’t surprise me, but I haven’t seen it anywhere official yet. CBS does like to have performances and name personalities to drum up interest among the general public, so lots of non-nominees have performed lately. I could also see another Finding Neverland telecast performance happening.

SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

As long as they pay for it, Gigi will be welcomed aboard. Regardless of  if youre nominated or not, the shows all have to pay for the Tony performances themselves. I’ve also heard Gigi is considering performing that song, its a smart move since the TV exposure is their best shot at surviving til the fall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully the Gigi producers are planning something big for the telecast, because this performance is literally the only thing I can see right now that would even give the show a chance at surviving a little longer.

Something Rotten has a huge number of songs they can choose from, meanwhile Fun Home will have to be very careful.

Anybody else thinking that Curious Incident might perform a scene or two? It’s a rare non-musical play nominated for choreography, plus it’s very successful, so maybe they’ll want to show the home viewers why.

Also, I think/hope Alan Cumming will open the show with a slightly-rewritten version of Wilkommen Bienvenue Welcome. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

The number from AGGTLAMurder was really good for the musical’s buzz, I hope that Fun Home pick the right number.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Playbill has officially reported that, in addition to performances from the seven nominees for Best Musical and Best Musical Revival, these three shows will perform:

• Vanessa Hudgens and the cast of Gigi
    • Matthew Morrison, Kelsey Grammer and the cast of Finding Neverland
    • Tyne Daly and the cast of It Shoulda Been You

They specifically mentioned that Kelli O’Hara and Ken Watanabe would perform with the cast of The King and I, so I guess that means we’re getting “Shall We Dance” instead of my prediction of “Getting to Know You”.

I want Fun Home to do a medley of the three Alisons, with sections of “Ring of Keys”, “Changing My Major”, and “Telephone Wire”. I think that might give people an idea of the arc of the show and its presentation concept. Every time I try to explain it to people, they look at me like I’m making things up. Plus, those are songs with hooks that might stick; I’m not sure that “Welcome to Our House on Maple Avenue” would do anything in terms of convincing people to see the show. I also have a fear that, removed from context, “Come to the Fun Home” might look like camp.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Interesting that Playbill lists Borle, James and Oscar as performers for Something Rotten. Are they doing a medley then? “A Musical” and then one of Borle’s numbers? Im not sure how thatll work, but i guess after his NBC musicals it would be silly not to advertise Borle, he’s the most recognizable cast member.

An Allison medley would be interesting for Fun Home. But as much as I love “Telephone Wire” wouldnt performing that song spoil the show a bit? It is a tricky show to market effectively. “Ring of Keys” and “Changing my Major” are the most exerptable songs. “Come to the Fun Home” would work out of context too. I’m not sure it would come off campy, but I don’t think it would accurately portray the mood, tone, themes of the show. But hey, whatever gets butts in seats. 

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Some Tony performance specifics from a fairly reliable (though still unconfirmed) source:

King and I: “Getting To Know You”/”Something Wonderful”/”Shall We Dance”
    On the Town: Medley centered on “New York, New York”
    On the Twentieth Century: “Life Is Like a Train”/”Babette”/”On the Twentieth Century”
    The Visit: “Love and Love Alone”/”I Would Never Leave You”
    Fun Home: “Ring of Keys”
    Something Rotten!: “A Musical”
    Finding Harvey’s Wallet… oops, I mean, Neverland: “Stronger”

The official Tony release said the cast of Fun Home and specifically mentioned Borle from Something Rotten!, so I’m not sure… “A Musical” doesn’t feature Borle, but he could introduce it. And “Ring of Keys” features only Sydney Lucas (FTW!) and Beth Malone, but the rest of the cast could be present in an introduction or a brief scene prior to the song.

Thoughts on these selections, if they’re accurate?

ETA: These are now posted on playbill.com, so I would consider that confirmed.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The official releases often say “cast” if more than one performer is present on stage. Perhaps Malone and Cerveris (in the moment that sets up the song) will be onstage for at least a portion of “Ring of Keys”? As for Rotten, having Borle introduce the number seems the best bet since he’s the most recognizable face.

I think most of these are good ideas, though medleys dont often perform as well as producers hope (both Tony efforts from Into the Woods were incredibly messy in my opinion). In terms of 20th Century, I hope its centered on “Babette”. That number could stand on its own and is a perfect shocase for Chenoweth.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m never fond of medleys in Tony performances.  They don’t tend to have the WOW factor.  Remember the good old days of the Tony’s, when the shows pulled out there big showstoppers? Michael Jeter and Brett Barrett singing “We’ll Take a Glass” from Grand Hotel? Patti Lupone singing “Anything Goes”? Walter Bobbie and the cast of Guys & Dolls singing “Sit Down, You’re Rockin the Boat?” The finale of Hairspray?

This year has too many medley’s for my taste.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m hoping we don’t have to endure full-length numbers from musicals that weren’t nominated.  “Welcome to the Tony Awards…here are performances from shows that weren’t good enough to get nominated!”

It would be a shame if the plays got shafted even more than usual just because some producers paid to have their shows on the Tonys.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree about the medleys not really working most of the time. When LCT did the South Pacific medley a few years ago, I also thought that was sort of a mess. Going from “Some Enchanted Evening” into “Gonna Wash that Man…” is a bit of a comedown. You can’t put the whole show on the stage in four minutes nor in most cases can you highlight the whole cast–pick a strong number that combines a memorable song with staging that’s representative of your show and let it be.

We’ll get full (or slightly abridged) numbers from the non-nominees. The producers paid their money, so they’ll get their time. Kind of like Idina doing most of “Always Starting Over” last year even though If/Then didn’t make the Best Musical cut. At least this year, I’m not so far aware of any shows that haven’t even opened yet doing numbers, like we had with Finding Neverland and The Last Ship last year. Though I’m expecting to hear any day that CBS has gotten Hamilton to do a number.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t mind non nominated shows performing, IF they had nominated ACTORS. 

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

Regarding the non-nominees, this statement in the Tony press release made me laugh my ass off:

The Tony Awards upholds a valued tradition of recognizing the excellence of the entire Broadway season each year. This year’s telecast will also feature not-to-be missed performances including:

• Vanessa Hudgens, 2015 Tony Nominee Victoria Clark, and the cast of Gigi
    • Past Tony-nominees Matthew Morrison and Kelsey Grammer, and the cast of Finding Neverland; and
    • Tyne Daly and the cast of It Shoulda Been You.

OK, so pardon me if I missed something, but isn’t the “valued tradition of recognizing the excellence of the entire Broadway season” manifested in, I don’t know, RECEIVING A TONY NOMINATION? What this is is a valued tradition of grabbing extra bucks for the telecast. If they wanted to recognize the entire season, where are Holla If You Hear Me, Side Show, and Honeymoon in Vegas? Or the plays (which are lucky to get twenty seconds of air time)?

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I just heard that It Shoulda Been you is having Lisa Howard perform “Jenny’s Blues”. Does this mean that the Tony announcement of “Tyne Daly and cast” isnt accurate anymore? I have to say I’m good with this choice. I love Daly, but this would be huge for Lisa Howard, and frankly: she fucking deserves it. 

Im sure Gigi will stick with “The Night They Invented Champagne”. Not sure what AAIP will perform. 

I wonder if Hamilton really needs the Tony performance. The buzz is fairly high still. Advance sales are great. Perhaps theyll want to save the money til its actually their year? If there is an upcoming musical that needs exposure its Amazing Grace. A summer opening with very little buzz, no star names, and a large house didnt go over well for Holler if Ya Hear Me last summer. 

As for plays, its always hard to feature them. It often only happens when there is a number or comedic bit that can be taken out of context, ala Over the Rainbow or One Man Two Guvnors. The only one I can think of getting some spotlight is Hand to God. They’d be fools not to ahve Steven Boyer/Tyronne introduce a category or interact with the audience.  

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

List of announced celebrities presenting/appearing:

Bradley Cooper, Neil Patrick Harris, Jim Parsons, Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Tisdale, Bryan Cranston, Joe Manganiello, Kiefer Sutherland, Anna Chlumsky, Larry David, Jason Alexander, Misty Copeland, Sting, Corey Stoll, David Hyde Pierce, Debra Messing, Jennifer Nettles, Marg Helgenberger, Rita Wilson, Rose Byrne, Thomas Sadoski, Sutton Foster, Taye Diggs, Taylor Schilling, Bobby Cannavale & Tommy Tune

Lol at Ashley Tisdale on the Tonys. Guess we know what she’ll be introducing. Wonder if Larry David and Jason Alexander will present something together?

An American in Paris is doing a medley; no specifcs on the songs yet.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 149 total)
Reply To: Tony Telecast (6/7/15)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.