Home Forums Theater What was Tony Awards' best Best Musical Revival winner of the 2000s?

What was Tony Awards' best Best Musical Revival winner of the 2000s?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
What was Tony Awards' best Best Musical Revival winner of the 2000s?
Kiss Me, Kate
42nd Street
Into the Woods
Nine
Assassins
La Cage aux Folles
The Pajama Game
Company
South Pacific
Hair
  • David Buchanan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

What does everybody think is the best Tony Award winner for Best Musical Revival from 2000 through 2009? Vote in the poll and then comment with your thoughts and your runners-up!

Formerly known in the forums as PianoMann.

Jeffrey Kare
    Participant
    Topics:

My favorite is South Pacific. I didn’t get to see the Lincoln Center production in New York, but I did catch the national tour in Cleveland, Ohio. It was the first time I ever saw any Rodgers & Hammerstein musical on stage, and I was just in awe of it all.

I have since seen the PBS filming of the Broadway production, listen to its cast recording, and still gets me everytime.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think anything touches that glorious South Pacific revival. The set was so perfect and the staging made terrific use of the sometimes-awkward space at the Beaumont. Seeing Paolo Szot do “This Nearly Was Mine” live is one of my most memorable theatrical experiences.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t see South Pacific or Hair. Of the others…42nd Street, I guess? I’m not super-enthusiastic about their picks.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

How do you make “Hair”, an insanely time specific piece, relevant again? Somehow Diane Paulus found a way. The energy in that show was unlike anything else. I think its how Uma Thurman’s character in Pulp Fiction must have felt when she was stabbed in the heart with adrenaline. Just thinking about it makes me want to go play ‘let the sunshine in’. It also gets bonus points because Gavin Creel grinded up on me.

A Special Citation goes to ‘Last Midnight’ in the “Into the Woods” Revival. The revival itself was fairly divisive (once you have Bernadette its hard to deviate!) But I think the new lyrics and staging of Last Midnight here are more effective than the original. Instead of simply chiding the fairytale characters, the Witch grabs the Baker’s baby and sings the first half of the song as a creepy lullaby. Vanessa Williams was terrifying in that number, as if she was going to decide to kill the baby at any moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

One production if I could go back in time to see would be Assassins with Neil Patrick Harris. I love that show and I think the cast recording of that version is superior to the original. I saw the Company revival DVD just last week and it was great but I think the Lincoln Center version with Neil and Patti was stronger

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.