Home Forums Theater Winners of the 2014 Outer Critics’ Circle Awards

Winners of the 2014 Outer Critics’ Circle Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Djoko
MHayes1323
Anthony
  • MHayes1323
    Participant
    Topics:

The winners of the OCC Awards have been announced a bit pre-emptively, it seems. A lot of interesting shake-ups in the categories. Here’s the link:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/191022-64th-Annual-Outer-Critics-Circle-Award-Winners-Announced-Gentlemans-Guide-Wins-Four-Awards 

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes to Jefferson Mays!! Here’s hoping he can take down Harris for the Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    MHayes1323
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes to Jefferson Mays!! Here’s hoping he can take down Harris for the Tony.

Absolutely agreed. Harris gives a great diva performance, but the ridiculous versatility required for Mays’ performanceS is unparalleled. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Very happy for the (expected) win of Gentleman’s Guide for Muiscal and Book…and it will be interesting to see how the score race pans out as it seems like there is a lot of goodwill picking up for JRB with this win, but I am not sure yet. GG and Bridges are drastically different and hard to compare.

Jefferson Mays winning is wonderful! I am sure if he won the Tony though the general population of Theatre goers will go berserk if their precious NPH loses.

Featured Actress in a Musical is a hot mess this year. Since off-broadway is eligible here, we have two FUN HOME candidates and only one person here in Tony-nominated (Anika Larsen) but it was Marin Mazzie who pulled off the win, making this out to be a headscratcher of a race.

The OCC isn’t as powerful as the DD but it is always nice to see where the tides are moving.

I had a feeling McDonald would win Actress in a Musical, and with Cherry Jones shockingly out of the running at DD (still stuns me…just like how they snubbed Patina Miller last year), she’ll probably win that too which could make her invincible….but that isn’t always the case….Jones won Actress in a Play and I honestly feel she will still win the Tony. I am wondering if they will WANT to have Audra McDonald break the record….I think she may very well do it but I am not sure if it will be this year. I think Cherry Jones is worthy to get her 3rd Tony.

ReplyCopy URL
    SamEckmann
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Im starting to think JRB is out in front for score. He won before for Parade, which actully closed in February that year & didnt last as long as Bridges (oddly enough Bridges of Madison county is Mr Brown’s longest Broadway run). If score was split into lyrics and music, I think Brown would be a lock for music with Gentlemans Guide taking lyrics. As it is, I have a hunch JRB will win score while Guide takes book.

I actually think BOTH featured actress races are completely wide open. The lineups have pretty drastic differences. Mazzie wins here but isnt nominated at the Tonys, and Mare Winningham ties with not-nominated Andrea Martin in the play race. I think its anyones game for the Tonys.

Having just seen Lady Day…Audra is out in front for me. Its not even human what she’s doing up there. I love Cherry, and this is obviously a clash of the titans. However, Audra has the benefit of her show being open and carrying the whole thing by herself. And her transformation into Billie defies logic. As my friend just put it to me: “She’s the Beyonce of musical theatre”. Accurate. 

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe Audra McDonald would have won in Lead Actress in a Musical at the Tonys – we will never know now – still think Cherry Jones will prevail but it’s going to be close – how about a tie?

Jeferson Mays wins this round – let’s see what happens at the Drama Desk awards… again, how about a tie???

Several wide open races will make the Tonys more fun!!!! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel both featured actress are between two women. Musical is Hall vs. Woresham and play is Keenan-Bolger vs. Winningham. I think I might predict Hall and Keenan-Bolger. It’s funny all of these women are in the shows I would predict for the top 4 prizes. Harris should still win and I do not see Mays beating him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

We could see Gentleman’s sweeping up both Book and Score, but Jason Robert Brown’s score for Bridges sounds quite great, he might win on goodwill alone. I still think  the overall  stronger goodwill for Gentleman’s will give it both wins.  

Muiler is still the frontrunner for Lead Actress In A Musical and I sadly think she’ll win over O’hara unless the Drama Desk Awards have something to say about it.  

I think Jones will win too, since Audra was honored so recently.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Winners of the 2014 Outer Critics’ Circle Awards

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.