Notification Tool : There's an upcoming Oscar movie that is a train-wreck...
Follow what's new with:
There's an upcoming Oscar movie that is a train-wreck...
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Aug 31st 2012, 12:06

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinectubuchanan
Hi ctubuchanan,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 20, Posts: 876
View Predictions
About a week ago, Jeff Wells at Hollywood-Elsewhere was told that there was an upcoming Oscar movie that was a "total fiasco". Under the title "Guessing Game", he posted:

"There's an upcoming awards season film repping the efforts of past Oscar winners that's being described as a "total fiasco" by someone who would know. It's not Robert Lorenz and Clint Eastwood's Trouble With The Curve (which I hear is very commercial), it's not Terrence Malick's To The Wonder, it's not The Life of Pi and it's not Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master (which of course has been seen and analyzed by quite a few people at this stage and gotten passing grades all around). But it's something. It could be Lincoln or Anna Karenina or...I haven't a clue."

Wells also added that it was a "fall" movie not a "year-end" one. Fall is September-November. Here are the oscar movies being released within that time.

1. Argo – 12 October 2012

2. Cloud Atlas – 26 October 2012

3. The Sessions/The Surrogate – 26 October 2012

4. Flight – 2 November 2012

5. Anna Karenina – 9 November 2012

6. Lincoln – 9/16 November 2012

7. Silver Linings Playbook – 21 November 2012

The Sessions was screened at Sundance and received positive reviews. Argo has also been screened and also received good reviews (but we'll find out for certain tonight after the Telluride screening). So only Cloud Atlas, Flight, Anna Karenina, Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook remain.

Which of them do you think will be the flop of the year?

Aug 31st 2012, 12:15

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJunk
Hi Junk,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 4, Posts: 1,322
View Predictions
I'll say Anna Karenina. I wasn't sold at all by its trailer.
Aug 31st 2012, 12:19

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
online24Emmy
Hi 24Emmy,

24Emmy

Total Topics: 186, Posts: 5,350
View Predictions
I hope it's not Lincoln.

FYC -- Carrie Coon, Gone Girl

Aug 31st 2012, 12:28

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineIrishmovielover4ever
Hi Irishmovielover4ever,

Irishmovielover4ever

Total Topics: 97, Posts: 3,368
View Predictions
They said it is not Lincoln
Aug 31st 2012, 12:41

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGhostOrchid
Hi GhostOrchid,

GhostOrchid

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 928
View Predictions
Well, there are quite a lot of Oscar movies that were called "train wrecks" before.... and in the end the Academy didn't care much.
They nominate and vote for what they love and they can love a film for various reasons. Even more than most critics.
"My work is for sale, my life.... not."
Aug 31st 2012, 12:43

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTrent
Hi Trent,

Trent

Total Topics: 151, Posts: 2,520
View Predictions
If we're sure it's not Lincoln, it's either Karenina, Cloud Atlas or Lincoln as those movies all have extremely high bomb potential.

Wells said he "thinks" it's a fall movie but he isn't sure. If it's not, then it could easily be Les Miz or Hyde Park. 
2013 Emmys FYC
Amy Poehler, Jane Krakowski, Matthew Perry, Martha Plimpton, Louis CK, Nick Offerman, Adam Scott, Garret Dillahunt
Aug 31st 2012, 12:46

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTrent
Hi Trent,

Trent

View Predictions
Wells also added this in a comment:

"Silver Lining Notebook [sic] is not a disaster but very mediocre. By far David O'Russel's worse picture. It's fine but not memorable. Someone who has seen Guilt Trip said it was unwatchable but i don't think it is Oscar bait."
2013 Emmys FYC
Amy Poehler, Jane Krakowski, Matthew Perry, Martha Plimpton, Louis CK, Nick Offerman, Adam Scott, Garret Dillahunt
Aug 31st 2012, 12:49

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineIrishmovielover4ever
Hi Irishmovielover4ever,

Irishmovielover4ever

Total Topics: 97, Posts: 3,368
View Predictions
Quote by beausalant
If we're sure it's not Lincoln, it's either Karenina, Cloud Atlas or Lincoln as those movies all have extremely high bomb potential.

Wells said he "thinks" it's a fall movie but he isn't sure. If it's not, then it could easily be Les Miz or Hyde Park. 

I think Hyde Park has a better chance to fail then Les Miz. That trailer for Hyde Park was horrible and the les miz was one of really great.
Aug 31st 2012, 12:54

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

Miss Frost

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 4,406
View Predictions
Quote by GhostOrchid
Well, there are quite a lot of Oscar movies that were called "train wrecks" before.... and in the end the Academy didn't care much.
They nominate and vote for what they love and they can love a film for various reasons. Even more than most critics.

That is true...Afterall they did nominate the godawful EL&IC and Nine.
Aug 31st 2012, 12:55

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

Miss Frost

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 4,406
View Predictions
Quote by eoindaly2k11
Quote by beausalant

I think Hyde Park has a better chance to fail then Les Miz. That trailer for Hyde Park was horrible and the les miz was one of really great.

You can't base a film by it's trailer smh.
Aug 31st 2012, 12:56

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTrent
Hi Trent,

Trent

View Predictions
Does anybody think it might be Won't Back Down? The trailer for that was extremely underwhelming and the director's previous greatest achievement was "Phoebe in Wonderland," an indie that played like a Lifetime movie.

Other possibilities: Killing Them Softly, This is 40, Hobbit or This Must Be The Place. 
2013 Emmys FYC
Aug 31st 2012, 13:00

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 101, Posts: 10,942
View Predictions

Well, truth is, I dont care what Jeff was "told". I'll watch the contenders and judge that for myself.

Looks like advance smear-age stuff to me.

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Aug 31st 2012, 13:00

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineoutsider
Hi outsider,

Total Topics: 29, Posts: 1,692
View Predictions
It could be "Cloud Atlas". It has that aura of bloated, expensive disaster.
Aug 31st 2012, 13:04

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinectubuchanan
Hi ctubuchanan,

Total Topics: 20, Posts: 876
View Predictions
Quote by beausalant
Wells also added this in a comment:

"Silver Lining Notebook [sic] is not a disaster but very mediocre. By far David O'Russel's worse picture. It's fine but not memorable. Someone who has seen Guilt Trip said it was unwatchable but i don't think it is Oscar bait."

Actually, that wasn't Wells, that was Jeff, another guy who commented on the post. His comment heading read "Jeff says:" but when the Jeffrey Wells comments it appeard "Jeffrey Wells says...". But I was also confused at first.

Quote by eoindaly2k11
Quote by beausalant

Absolutely agreed. In my opinion, Les Miserables is the one film this year which is pretty much flop-proof. It's got an amazing source material. The trailer was great. The acting seems top notch. The voice of the actors was tested before they were cast. Directing seems great. It's just unfathomable to me that it could flop. All other movies of this year may flop. Even J. Edgar's flop last year could have been predicted with a "Clint Eastwood is getting old" argument, a "bad make-up argument", a "bad hoover imitation" argument or a "not historically accurate" argument. Les Miserables source material has been constantly approved by critics for 50 years. There's no way it flops.
Aug 31st 2012, 18:00

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
Les Miserables is no more flop proof than most big deal musicals that turn into turkeys when made into movies.