Notification Tool : Official THE OFFICE Thread (Season 9)
Follow what's new with:
Official THE OFFICE Thread (Season 9)
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Sep 20th 2012, 10:30
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAtypical
Hi Atypical,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Atypical

Total Topics: 123, Posts: 8,680
View Predictions
Last season and a returning showrunner, so let's see if they can end this show well for the longstanding fans.

Episode Title: "New Guys"

Synopsis: In the season 9 premiere, two young employees arrive for work at Dunder Mifflin, but the staffers label them as the new versions of Jim and Dwight; Andy returns from leadership training and targets Nellie for his revenge; Oscar considers adopting Angela's cat; Kevin saves a turtle.

Discuss.

Sep 20th 2012, 14:34
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJOSHUA
Hi JOSHUA,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

JOSHUA

Total Topics: 10, Posts: 1,000
View Predictions

STEPHEN COLBERT TO PLAY BROCCOLI ROB
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/09/20/the-office-stephen-colbert/

As a die-hard Office fan, this is the greatest bit of news I've heard this week. If he does good, Colbert might be the first Office acting winner ever.     

Sep 20th 2012, 19:22
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMatty G
Hi Matty G,

Matty G

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 202
View Predictions
Wow...this may have been the best episode in 2-3 years.  And it wasn't even as much the humor (although the humor was definitely there), but just in terms of craft, it was head and shoulders above the mostly-amusing sitcom fare that The Office has been putting out as of late.  The acknowledgement of the cameraman was well done and sets up a very important plot that will likely bring the series to a close.  And the new guys ("Plop" and "Dwight Jr.", hah!) themselves were much better than I thought they might be.  I don't want to get overexcited because I've seen the show be less than stellar before, but I'm crossing my fingers that this is no fluke and that Greg Daniels has managed to right the ship as it begins the final leg of its journey.  Well done.

Rating: A
MVP: Krasinski 
Sep 20th 2012, 19:28
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDuke Silver
Hi Duke Silver,

Duke Silver

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 544
View Predictions
I completely agree with Matty G. This episode gave the show some much needed direction for it's final season. Two new characters, both of whom seem like they could be great. A fantastic storyline for Jim and Pam. I think that their story line will bring back some much needed tension for the two. Also, Angela and Dwight may happen. With the realization that Oscar is having an affair with The Senator, it opens up tons of possibilities for Angela and Dwight. We finally had a few references to Michael, and what looks like a friendship between Toby and Nellie. Great epsiode, less for the humor, but more for the potential. 

A-

Sep 21st 2012, 06:25
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMissyGal
Hi MissyGal,

MissyGal

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 386
View Predictions
I agree with the above two comments. The episode wasn't big on the laughs (until the end with Dwight hanging on the wire, and Creed's hilarious comment about being at the circus), but the episode set up so many amazing potential storylines. Oscar and the Senator, the new guys (who were fantastic), and most notably, Jim and Pam. I was wondering at what the point the writers would touch on the fact that Jim was sort of "stuck" in his professional life. I'm glad they're going to have him move on from Dunder Mifflin at the end. It'll also give Krasinski and Fischer a good story to shine in. 

One thing that kind of irked me, though, was Andy. I don't like that they're turning him into Michael. I liked last season how he was a good combo of Michael and himself. I mean, his attitude towards Nellie was strange. I know she stole his job last season, but didn't he offer her a job? Why is he acting like he didn't? I don't know. I feel it's a weird choice by the writers.  
Sep 21st 2012, 06:55
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBenitoDelicias
Hi BenitoDelicias,

BenitoDelicias

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 2,152
View Predictions
It was a very very good episode. I liked the new guys, pretty funny that they ended up being Dwight Jr and New Jim. I didn't think of that after they were cast.

I loved Kelly's goodbye.

Lots of fun new storylines, we'll see how it goes. The final minutes were pretty awesome with Dwight and Creed. 
Sep 21st 2012, 07:53
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinePieman1994
Hi Pieman1994,

Pieman1994

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 1,344
View Predictions
Yes. This was at least the best episode since "Threat Level Midnight" or "PDA." Everything is so much better. The writing was top notch, the new cast members are incredible, and; my favorite; they fixed the lighting. I know that sounds weird, but that's something that has been bothering me since season four, and now everything looks so much better. I hope that Rainn Wilson wins an Emmy here. I'm pretty sure I bothered some of my neighbors with how hard I was laughing at Dwight getting the news of the paternity test, and then woke up a few more by the end. I love where this season could go, and with Greg Daniels back, it's gonna be hard to botch this. 
Here's my signature... just so I have it. That way, I have it. I promise. It's just to have it.
Sep 22nd 2012, 00:52
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinethedemonhog
Hi thedemonhog,

thedemonhog

Total Topics: 29, Posts: 5,402
View Predictions
Having watched the show since the first season, I gave up after two episodes last season, but returned for this final season after reading your comments above.

This is a high-quality show and it if keeps up with the premiere, it could be deserving of several Emmy nominations, but none of which it will actually get.

Next week will surely hit a series low in viewers and the demographic.
"I can assure you full immunity is not on the table, but your hand is." — Jack Bauer
Sep 22nd 2012, 10:33
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBoomer
Hi Boomer,

Boomer

Total Topics: 236, Posts: 2,376
View Predictions
Did anybody else notice the credits this year?

Now we know how they got Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, Ed Helms, and Rainn Wilson all to return when they had other offers.

They are all now listed as producers on the show.

http://awardsheaven.angelfire.com/tvhalloffame.htm
Visit my website about the TV Hall of Fame.

Sep 22nd 2012, 11:20
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAtypical
Hi Atypical,

Atypical

View Predictions
That was a very good premiere. It looks like there's needed forward momentum to fuel the entire season. Loved getting the acknowledgement of the film crew from Jim and Pam. That and Jim taking the new job offer brings his work storyline full circle. Kelly's exit was fun and fitting. I liked both of the "new guys" who mirror Jim and Dwight. Once they start pranking each other, that dynamic will get even better. Great showcase for Rainn Wilson tonight. That slackline scene . . . wow. It's too bad the Emmys seem to be done with "The Office" for good. Angela's cat adoption interviews, Oscar's affair with the senator, Kevin turtle shell patchwork, Ryan's exit, Creed thinking the entire day was a trip to the circus, etc. The only thing I didn't like was the way Andy was treating Nellie. I think I'm the only Catherine Tate supporter here, but she's such a great comedienne and the only person they've trotted out who could fill the vast void left by Steve Carell's departure. Sharp writing and direction from Greg Daniels though. I feel like this farewell season is in good hands.

Grade for "New Guys": B+

Sep 22nd 2012, 12:09
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinethedemonhog
Hi thedemonhog,

thedemonhog

Total Topics: 29, Posts: 5,402
View Predictions
Quote by Chris_Beachum
Did anybody else notice the credits this year?  Now we know how they got Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, Ed Helms, and Rainn Wilson all to return when they had other offers.  They are all now listed as producers on the show.
Yeah, I saw this reported a few months ago.  Maybe John Krasinski can finally get his Emmy nomination, but probably not.
"I can assure you full immunity is not on the table, but your hand is." — Jack Bauer
Sep 22nd 2012, 12:34
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGraeme O'Neil
Hi Graeme O'Neil,

Graeme O'Neil

Total Topics: 21, Posts: 2,320
View Predictions
Quote by Chris_Beachum
Did anybody else notice the credits this year?

Now we know how they got Jenna Fischer, John Krasinski, Ed Helms, and Rainn Wilson all to return when they had other offers.

They are all now listed as producers on the show.

Yeah I noticed that. I kinda chuckled since, yeah, clearly that was something in their new contract for the final season. I agree with all the comments. I wasn't laughing out loud often (except for the montage of Dwight falling off the rope, and Creed's circus talk) but this was a great setup for the final season, most notably for the Jim and Pam stuff. I loved the opening with them taking off the mics and addressing the cameracrew (very similiar to Michael's exit), and then whatever Jim is up to.  

www.graemeoneil.com
Reviews, opinions, latest music videos! Check it out, and follow me on Facebook and Twitter for exclusive giveaways! 
Sep 24th 2012, 18:04
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDenis
Hi Denis,

Denis

Total Topics: 30, Posts: 3,097
View Predictions
Very good episode, I hope this is not an exception, and all episodes will be at this level, great to see new Jim and Dwight, the end was really good, the turtle scenes, very good episode, I can't wait until the next one, I don't remember the last time I said that about an episode from The Office .

Grade: A-
EMMYS 2015 - FYC: OUSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES: RICHARD SAMMEL - THE STRAIN.
Sep 27th 2012, 01:41
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAtypical
Hi Atypical,

Atypical

View Predictions
Episode Title: "Roy's Wedding"

Synopsis: Jim and Pam attend Roy's (Pam's ex-fiancé) wedding, but Roy's big day causes them to explore possible secrets in their own marriage; Dwight arrogantly protests Nellie's charity initiative; Clark tries to woo Erin by enticing her with a fake newscaster job.

Guest Star: David Denman

Discuss.  

Sep 28th 2012, 10:35
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAtypical
Hi Atypical,

Atypical

View Predictions
There were some good parts to this episode, like the scenes at Roy's wedding (it's cool that he redeemed himself some and became a success) and the beginning seeds of doubt between Pam and Jim. Erin and Andy's "newscaster" scenes with the new guys were okay, but I didn't like how dim that all made Andy seem, and opening up a budding relationship between Erin and the "new Jim" seems like another detour to the Erin/Andy relationship. Everything between Nellie and Dwight was pure filler, and both Catherine Tate and Rainn Wilson deserved more. The chore wheel bit was cute in the cold open.

Grade for "Roy's Wedding": B