Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Oct 19th 2012, 16:29
Hide Post    
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 4,406
View Predictions
Since there are discussion threads on the contenders for Original Song and Screenplay, we must discuss the most competitive contenders for best actor:

Ben Affleck, Argo
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Richard Gere, Arbitrage
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Anthony Hopkins, Hitchcock
Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables
Tommy Lee Jones, Hope Springs
Bill Murray, Hyde Park on Hudson
Joaquin Phoneix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight

The lineup will be 5 of these gententlemen.

Oct 19th 2012, 16:36
Hide Post    
offline24Emmy
Hi 24Emmy,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 164, Posts: 4,425
View Predictions

Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Anthony Hopkins, Hitchcock
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight

and the Oscar goes to . . . Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln

*standing ovation*

This is Daniel Day-Lewis' third Academy Award out of five nominations. He previously won for his lead roles in My Left Foot and There Will Be Blood.

FYC: Shameless

Oct 19th 2012, 16:44
Hide Post    
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

Total Topics: 91, Posts: 8,916
View Predictions
A deserved surprise would be nice. Jack Black, for Bernie.

Sure do love most of the work from the early contenders. I'd love to see any of them win....particularly Hugh Jackman.

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Oct 19th 2012, 16:47
Hide Post    
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

View Predictions
Who'll be the virgin of this category? I don't see 5 previously nominated actors all making the cut. Hopefully it's the sexy Hugh Jackman.
Oct 19th 2012, 16:47
Hide Post    
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
 As of now, i'm rooting for Hugh Jackman.
"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Oct 19th 2012, 17:14
Hide Post    
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

Total Topics: 10, Posts: 1,798
View Predictions
Don't really understand the urge to reward Hugh Jackman an Oscar - who's been kind of like a second-rate Rock Hudson for most of his career. From the original post, I would add Jean-Louis Trintignant (Amour), Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook), & Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Master).

Don't think Jones has a shot for Hope Springs, especially since he's more likely for Lincoln, and Hyde Park on Hudson seemed to die at Toronto.  
Oct 19th 2012, 17:33
Hide Post    
offlineMrs. Doolittle
Hi Mrs. Doolittle,

Total Topics: 18, Posts: 757
View Predictions
I don't see Cooper making it in over anyone listed.
MERYL STREEP + JUDI DENCH + CATE BLANCHETT = PERFECTION!
Oct 19th 2012, 17:38
Hide Post    
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

View Predictions
Cooper's in a film every actor will watch, a BP player, has had good reviews so far, and if people love the relationship between him and Lawrence (just as some may for Hawkes and Hunt), it's easy to nominate both of them.

Wouldn't put him as one of the five most likely candidates, but I'd put him ahead of Affleck, Gere, Murray, and Jones.
Oct 19th 2012, 18:52
Hide Post    
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

View Predictions
Russel's last film garnered nods almost everywhere in the major categories sides Actor. Though Lawrence is a definite lock (possible win) for Actress, she already has a lot of buzz and factors going for her alone.

For now I can see the Actor lineup looking like this:

Daniel Day-Lewis
John Hawkes
Joaquin Phoenix
Hugh Jackman
Denzel Washington

I can easily see one of them being replaced by a foreign actor (perhaps Jean-Louis Trintigeenant) It seems like they are steering in that direction each year, like last with Dujardin and whoever that other guy was who shouldn't have been nominated.
Also hasn't it been confirmed Hoffman is going supporting?
Oct 19th 2012, 19:00
Hide Post    
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

Total Topics: 91, Posts: 8,916
View Predictions
^
"...whoever that other guy was who shouldn't have been nominated."

Are you talking about Demian Bichir? Lolol! I thought he was the most deserving nominee in the bunch.

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Oct 19th 2012, 19:06
Hide Post    
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
Quote by babypook
^
"...whoever that other guy was who shouldn't have been nominated."

Are you talking about Demian Bichir? Lolol! I thought he was the most deserving nominee in the bunch.

Yep, So did I. :)
"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Oct 19th 2012, 19:10
Hide Post    
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

View Predictions
Remembered The Fighter's nominations, but reviews for Wahlberg were overshadowed by Bale and Leo - Cooper appears to hold his own.
Oct 19th 2012, 19:31
Hide Post    
offlineallabout oscars
Hi allabout oscars,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,396
daniel day lewis
philip seymour hoffman
joaquin phoenix
john hawkes
hugh jackman
Oct 19th 2012, 19:37
Hide Post    
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

View Predictions
Early word on Hitchcock is rather strong (testing at 90+ from those that have seen it) - can't think of anything stranger than the film being liked, Mirren getting nominated, and Hopkins not getting in (Brit support, long and respected career, biopic, challenging part).
Oct 19th 2012, 21:04
Hide Post    
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Total Topics: 133, Posts: 11,064
View Predictions
Underestimate Jean-Louis Trintignant's chances of a nomination at your peril.

He has an honorary Oscar level career, his performance is known and acclaimed, he'll get a lot of #1s from European voters in particular, the film is going to be a multi category contender, it opens late, he might win one or more critics' groups awards, Sony Classics is pushing hard, Film Forum in NYC is having a career retrospective.

He is not a certain nominee, but then neither is DD-L. I don't think anyone is a lock yet.