Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Nov 4th 2012, 18:56
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offline24Emmy
Hi 24Emmy,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

24Emmy

Total Topics: 176, Posts: 5,065
View Predictions
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

and the Oscar goes to . . . Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

*standing ovation*

This is Tommy Lee Jones' second Academy Award out of four nominations. He previously won for his supporting role in The Fugitive.

"Thank you. Oh man. This might be the one time I'm speechless." -- Robin Williams (RIP)

Nov 4th 2012, 19:13
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Renaton

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 7,506
View Predictions
I think Javier Bardem may surprise. He's been getting stellar reviews, and "Skyfall" is already a huge hit worldwide and destined ot be one on the States too. I could see critics groups embracing the performance, as he gets to play a flamboyant and menacing villain. I could see both him and Dench being nominated.

And I'm still not sure about any "Argo" nominees. Since it's an emsemble-driven film, and Arkin seems to be only comic relief, I don't think he's a lock yet, and might be replaced as the season goes on. I also believe that all those character actor in supporting might split support, and let someone else completely get in.
Nov 4th 2012, 19:25
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,

Max 2.0

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
I really hope Bardem can grab a nomination. He was brilliant as Silva. Every time he was on screen you couldn't stop looking at him. {#emotions_dlg.talli} Javier was award-worthy.
"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Nov 4th 2012, 21:16
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineCAROL-CHANNING
Hi CAROL-CHANNING,

CAROL-CHANNING

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 997
View Predictions
If those are, indeed the 5 nominees, DiCaprio will be the only one out of them who hasn't won already.  I would think that would get a lot of people to vote in his favor.  Especially if his performance is as great as it's rumored to be..
Nov 4th 2012, 21:38
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineCoolHandLuke2012
Hi CoolHandLuke2012,

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 81
View Predictions
I don't think Jones will beat DiCaprio again.
Nov 4th 2012, 21:38
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineCoolHandLuke2012
Hi CoolHandLuke2012,

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 81
View Predictions
I don't think Jones will beat DiCaprio again.
Nov 5th 2012, 06:50
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMacbeth
Hi Macbeth ,

Macbeth

Total Topics: 175, Posts: 1,894
View Predictions
The nominees (in likelyhood of winning)

Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Lancaster Dodd in "The Master
His performance is one that the Academy loves. If he can be nominated for the mediocre "Charlie Wilson's War", he can be nominated for a film by a modern Kubrick, P.T. Anderson. He will win this award and join the likes of Robert De Niro and Denzel Washington as being actors who have won Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor.

Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie in "Django Unchained"
Ah, an overdue actor if there ever was one. The frontrunner for several months, DiCaprio is a major contender for this prize. If he weren't competing with Hoffman, one of my favorite actors, I would predict him for the win.

Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens in "Lincoln"
I want Jones to win. I would vote for Jones anyday. Yet, he is up against DiCaprio and Hoffman. I am placing him third because he already has an Oscar and unlike Hoffman, his performance isn't one of the most buzzed about this year. A win could still happen and I would be very satisfied if he wins.

Alan Arkin as Lester Siegel in "Argo"
An extremely underrated actor. He deserved his win a few years ago, but unless the Academy wants to award a less-than-perfect comic performance, I doubt he could score a win, but a nomination is waiting for him

Javier Bardem
as Raoul Silva in "Skyfall"
A James Bond villain nominated for an Academy Award? That's crazy until you see the complexity and grandeur of his character that is vastly superior to any other James Bond villain. Bardem is a gifted actor and I see a nomination happening for him for this film.

my blog: www.moviesunchained.wordpress.com

Nov 5th 2012, 07:14
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinedannyboy.
Hi dannyboy.,

dannyboy.

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 1,710
View Predictions
Is PSH confirmed Supporting? If he is, mark him up there with Ethan Hawke and Casey Affleck of the most severe cases of category fraud. I wonder if the Academy will correct it, like they did with Keisha Castle Hughes and Kate Winslet, or not like Hailee Steinfeld who most certainly belongs up there with Affleck and Hawke.
Nov 5th 2012, 07:21
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

View Predictions
I think people who support "The Master" might help the "fraud" to come through. They will probably want to raise both Phoenix and Hoffman's chances of winning. if they go head to head in Lead Actor, you run the risk of even having neither nominated. 
Nov 5th 2012, 07:23
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinedannyboy.
Hi dannyboy.,

dannyboy.

View Predictions
Then why designate?? Why not just nominate ten men and women?
Nov 5th 2012, 07:29
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 2,359
View Predictions
Joaquin Phoenix is the main lead and protagonist of The Master, so I don't really mind/care that PSH is being put in supporting. If only one of them is going to be pushed as lead, then of course it's going to be Phoenix.

Anyways, I thought PSH would be the frontrunner, but now I'm starting to think Dicaprio could very well win this. His performance will probably be universally acclaimed, but he also has the "due" factor going for him too.
Nov 5th 2012, 07:37
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

View Predictions
I don't even know if DiCaprio will end up being the most praised actor on the film. What if Waltz or Samuel L. Jackson upstage him? It's possible.
Nov 5th 2012, 07:45
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinedannyboy.
Hi dannyboy.,

dannyboy.

View Predictions
Gabriel, what is a main lead versus a co-lead? Am not trying to be a pain, I am just trying to understand what you mean.. Did you walk out thinking PSH was clearly supporting or its borderline? I don't understand how one can conpare the impact and screentime of PSH to that of Ruby Dee (a damn fine actress).
Nov 5th 2012, 07:55
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

View Predictions
He means that while both have the same equivalent of screentime, Phoenix is the protagonist.
Nov 5th 2012, 08:00
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 2,359
View Predictions
Quote by Dannyboy
Gabriel, what is a main lead versus a co-lead? Am not trying to be a pain, I am just trying to understand what you mean.. Did you walk out thinking PSH was clearly supporting or its borderline? I don't understand how one can conpare the impact and screentime of PSH to that of Ruby Dee (a damn fine actress).

I just meant that even though they are co-leads, if you really have to get technical, then Phoenix's role is more important, because he's the actual protagonist.