Notification Tool : House of Cards (2013)
Follow what's new with:
House of Cards (2013)
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Nov 6th 2012, 07:34
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTerenceAlfonsoAng
Hi TerenceAlfonsoAng,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 20, Posts: 267
View Predictions
HouseofCardsposter.jpg

House of Cards – an adaptation of the BBC miniseries of the same name – is written by Beau Willimon (The Ides of March) and Eric Roth (Forrest Gump), and follows Kevin Spacey as Francis Underwood, the House Majority Whip in the United States Congress. The press release describes the character as “the politician’s politician – masterful, beguiling, charismatic and ruthless.” His success comes from the fact that he and his wife Claire (Robin Wright) will stop at nothing to get to the top and stay there.

The new series digs deep into politics and highlights “the back halls of greed, sex, love and corruption in modern Washington D.C.” Joining Spacey and Wright in the seedy underbelly of our nation’s capitol will be Kate Mara, Corey Stoll, Kristen Connolly, Michael Kelly and Sakina Jaffrey.
Fincher only directs the first two episodes, but James Foley (Glengarry GlenRoss), Joel Schumacher (Batman & Robin), Charles McDougall (The Office), Carl Franklin (Out of Time) and Alan Coulter (Boardwalk Empire) direct the rest of season 1. That’s some great talent behind the camera, and it should key audiences into the fact that this will likely have some solid comedy along with the hard-hitting political drama. Spacey is also executive producing the show with Dana Brunetti (who produced The Social Network) and his Trigger Street Productions banner. Fincher, Willimon, Spacey and Roth are executive producing as well.

Nov 6th 2012, 07:37
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTerenceAlfonsoAng
Hi TerenceAlfonsoAng,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

View Predictions
I'm very very excited bout this show, 3 months until all episodes air in just one day...

Why is Joel Schumacher there??? Hmm... 
Nov 7th 2012, 05:03
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDenis
Hi Denis,

Denis

Total Topics: 27, Posts: 3,005
View Predictions
Spacey? can't wait for it.
I'm full of myself. - Mason Verger
Nov 7th 2012, 05:08
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTerenceAlfonsoAng
Hi TerenceAlfonsoAng,

View Predictions
Quote by hadilf
Spacey? can't wait for it.

... And Wright as a power couple...WAHAHHAHA
Nov 7th 2012, 06:57
Hide Post  Hide Post  
Hi ,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 0
I'm more interested in Wright here than Spacey. She was marvelous in "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee". Totally robbed of a nod.
Nov 7th 2012, 07:25
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 7,495
View Predictions
I'm interested in none of the actors. David fucking Fincher, people.
Nov 7th 2012, 07:29
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

View Predictions
Also, just noticed that the news mentions everyone's best film, but they go with "Batman & Robin" for Schumacher {#emotions_dlg.laugh}
Nov 7th 2012, 08:39
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineprobablyROB
Hi probablyROB,

probablyROB

Total Topics: 3, Posts: 1,839
View Predictions
There was a period from 1993 or so to 1999 where Kevin Spacey was the greatest actor on the planet.  Forget American Beauty and The Usual Suspects even, but his roles in Seven, HurlyBurly(with Wright), L.A. Confidential, and one of the more criminally underrated performances ever in Swimming with Sharks.  Then he started doing K-PAX and Pay it Forward and just had to star in Beyond the Sea and I am hoping this is a return to form for him.  So, I am excited.  I think Fincher is starting to fall for his own shit a little too much and would like to see him mellow out and do something memorable again.
Nov 7th 2012, 09:05
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineIcky
Hi Icky,

Icky

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 3,255
View Predictions
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was entertaining enough if not at all necessay. 'Benjamin Button' was garbage. But The Social Network and Zodiac weren't memorable?

Spacek was probably the most overrated actor of the 90's. The Usual Suspects and Seven are my favorite performances of his. He's good at creepy. His Oscar win for that mawkish, hammy performance in American Beauty is where I began to resent him a bit. His work after that and him being a self-righteous still the in the closet queen has led to me flat-out not liking the dude.
The Return of the King
Nov 7th 2012, 15:08
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineprobablyROB
Hi probablyROB,

probablyROB

View Predictions
Have you seen Swimming w/ Sharks?  I agree that he hasn't had a great performance in a decade but he was amazing in the 90's.

And The Social Network was memorable because of the screenplay, not the direction.  And I didn't love Zodiac, actually.
Nov 7th 2012, 17:53
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

View Predictions
"Zodiac" was incredible and his best film. "The Social Network" was not by any means only about the script. Fincher made that extremely verbose script into something cinematic. And "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" was entertaining.

Honestly, I think it's his earlier films that are overrated. "Seven" is good, but not as mindblowing as people keep talking about. "The Game" was a mess, and even though I love "Fight Club", I know the cult around the film is based on misinterpreting the film and its satirical aspect.
Nov 7th 2012, 18:17
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebondzzz
Hi bondzzz,

Total Topics: 21, Posts: 1,363
View Predictions
I am a fan of political shows and with some good names attached to this project, i might give it a watch.
Nov 7th 2012, 18:53
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinetheproblemdog
Hi theproblemdog,

theproblemdog

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 314
View Predictions
Yes this looks great. I'm on board.
"You're the smartest and the dumbest fuckin person I've ever known."
Nov 7th 2012, 19:28
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineIcky
Hi Icky,

Icky

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 3,255
View Predictions
Quote by probably
Have you seen Swimming w/ Sharks?  I agree that he hasn't had a great performance in a decade but he was amazing in the 90's.

And The Social Network was memorable because of the screenplay, not the direction.  And I didn't love Zodiac, actually.

He was good in SwS as well. I didn't like the movie, but he was good in it. As I said, he's good at creepy. Many of his performances in the 90's he was playing offbeat or weirdo characters. He's just offputting when he's supposed to be playing "normal". And he's asked to get emotional he always overdoes the sentimentality. The beginning of that was AB.

TSN is all about the script, but it's memorable. That's all that matters. I don't think I've loved any Fincher movie. I like most of his movies, but every one of his movies could have been improved by being less bombastic. I think Zodiac is his best effort.
The Return of the King
Nov 7th 2012, 20:20
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineprobablyROB
Hi probablyROB,

probablyROB

View Predictions
My top favorite movies wouldn't be in a lot of people's favorite movies.  But movies for me are different from TV to me.  Alot always has to do to do with who and where I was in my life when they came out.  American Beauty, LA Confidential, and Swimming with Sharks are all inmy top 10.  Other favorites include Sideways, High Fidelity, Fight Club, and Closer.  I thought Slumdog Millionaire was possibily the greatest film I'd ever seen when I watched it before it began selling out theatres but time as mellowed me on it.  Michael Clayton and Blood Diamond are two other movies that for whatever reason stick with me.  Zodiac, TSN, BB, didn't ever resonate with me.  But Nixon/Frost was one of my favorite movies from the slumdog/benji button year.  Right now my favorite movies so far have been Looper, Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Safety Not Garuanteed.  My favorite movie last year was probably Young Adult.  I don't know what my point is.  Just that I need movies to move me in some way and Fincher hasn't really done that in a long time for me.  Alexander Payne is the greatest living writer as far as I am cocnerned though.  Wish he'd do a TV show.