Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Nov 27th 2012, 19:42
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
We don't seem to have a director thread, and if we have a picture thread it's dormant, and usually they are combined when we get beyond the early stages, which we are about at.

For director - it's curious that with the exception of David O Russell and Michael Haneke, nearly all the conceivable nominees are previous Oscar winners - Spielberg, Bigelow, Hooper, Lee, Affleck, Tarantino, Jackson all have won at least one. Maybe throw in Paul Thomas Anderson (now a long shot) as a non winner. But there is a real chance all five nominees have won an Oscar before - which might be a first. 

As of now, my guess is the nominees will be Spielberg, Bigelow, Hooper, Lee and Haneke, with the sort of surprise omission being Affleck.

Nov 27th 2012, 19:47
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Max 2.0

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
Lee should win. He won't. But what he did with "Life Of Pi" is a work of art. It trascends movies. It's something bigger. 

"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Nov 27th 2012, 19:50
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

View Predictions
I find Ang Lee to be the most singularly overrated director of our time. Pi is full of embarassingly clunky scenes (all the modern stuff; the Indian early stuff is quite ordinary as well). He always seems to be hiding something, unwilling to commit. I found Life of Pi excruciating to sit through, a really mediocre work elevated by some neat CGI but not nearly enough to redeem it. It is a work of bad art.

Nov 27th 2012, 19:57
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,

Max 2.0

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
LOL! I do not feel that way at all. I have only seen Brokeback Mountain from him, and Life Of Pi. So, I can't and won't pretend I know more about his work. I'm just saying is better than the mediocrity that was BP for the last couple years (yes, including The Hurt Locker!). And it has been a looooong time since a movie made me feel the way Life Of Pi did.
"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Nov 27th 2012, 20:04
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

View Predictions

For me Ang Lee's only stand out moments are Sense and Sensibility to some extent, a bit of the design of CTHD (although anyone who has seen top notch Hong Kong martial arts films isn't as impressed) and Heath Ledger's transcendent performance in BM. Otherwise, you have the director of The Hulk, Lust Caution and Taking Woodstock, three mediocre to bad films all made since CTHD. Many people do and will love Pi - it's a divisive film, nothing wrong with anyone loving it of course. It just seemed to me to be a totally botched work, showing signs of having been cut down by an hour (what the hell was Gerard Depardieu doing there for one scene?) If it had been only the raft scenes, it would have been better. But the rest of the film to me was borderline incompetent.

Nov 27th 2012, 20:40
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

Logan

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 1,849
View Predictions
Feel similarly in that if the film was just the ship scene+raft+ending in that teenager's story (won't spoil it), that would have made for better movie. I didn't like the present day scenes or any of the "early in his life" parts (that weird blending of images didn't work for me at all).
Nov 27th 2012, 21:07
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDD
Hi DD,

DD

Total Topics: 18, Posts: 641
View Predictions
I admire Lee, but his films usually don't go over well with him. The only film of his that I genuinely like is "The Ice Storm."

On another note, is it safe to say that we don't have a frontrunner for BP/BD? There are several strong contenders, but don't believe these "experts" yet. There really isn't a frontrunner yet in either of these categories. 

My Grammy credentials!

Nov 27th 2012, 21:14
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDD
Hi DD,

DD

Total Topics: 18, Posts: 641
View Predictions
Quote by Scottferguson

For director - it's curious that with the exception of David O Russell and Michael Haneke, nearly all the conceivable nominees are previous Oscar winners - Spielberg, Bigelow, Hooper, Lee, Affleck, Tarantino, Jackson all have won at least one. Maybe throw in Paul Thomas Anderson (now a long shot) as a non winner. But there is a real chance all five nominees have won an Oscar before - which might be a first.

He's a long shot, but you can throw Zemeckis in the mix, too. "Flight" is definitely a BP contender.  

My Grammy credentials!

Nov 27th 2012, 21:15
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

View Predictions
I know Par is committed to Flight, and for me it, with ZD30, is the best of the contenders. Love to see him in the mix, but he's looking more like a longshot at the moment (though the film is still in the mix for BP).

And I agree about there being no clear frontrunner - I'd put Lincoln, Les Mis and ZD30 in the lead pack, but SLP, Argo and Pi in the mix, and a couple of film yet to see yet. What's stranger is even when there has been no clear frontrunner, it seems usually down to 2 (though last year had 3 at least at this stage - Artist, Hugo and Descendants)

Nov 27th 2012, 23:15
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMalickFanboy
Hi MalickFanboy,

MalickFanboy

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 2,010
View Predictions
Quote by Max200
Lee should win. He won't. But what he did with "Life Of Pi" is a work of art. It trascends movies. It's something bigger. 

110% agree with you! The choices Lee makes behind the camera have me thinking he could be a genius.
Nov 28th 2012, 01:34
Hide Post  Hide Post  
online24Emmy
Hi 24Emmy,

24Emmy

Total Topics: 176, Posts: 5,070
View Predictions
Here's what I have at the moment:

Best Picture
1. Lincoln
2. Les Miserables
3. Argo
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Silver Linings Playbook
6. Life of Pi
7. The Master
8. Django Unchained
9. Beasts of the Southern Wild
10. Skyfall

Best Director
1. Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
2. Ben Affleck, Argo
3. Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
4. Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty
5. Ang Lee, Life of Pi

"Thank you. Oh man. This might be the one time I'm speechless." -- Robin Williams (RIP)

Nov 28th 2012, 01:34
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 2,360
View Predictions
What does everyone think of The Hobbit? I know it's not out yet, but could it get a nomination based purely on the success of the LOTR trilogy?

To be honest, I really wouldn't be surprised if it gets left out this year.
Nov 28th 2012, 06:03
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineallabout oscars
Hi allabout oscars,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,396
Lee won't get nominated Russell won't get nominated Bigelow won't get nominated The five I predict Spielberg Hooper Affleck Pt Anderson Haneke
Nov 28th 2012, 08:01
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinedannyboy.
Hi dannyboy.,

dannyboy.

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 1,710
View Predictions
No mention of The Ice Storm, SF? To me its his greatest film work to date. I give him credit for for attempting to film the 'unfilmable' though with 'Life of Pi'.
Nov 28th 2012, 08:30
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 99, Posts: 10,714
View Predictions
Quote by MalickFanboy
Quote by Max200

110% agree with you! The choices Lee makes behind the camera have me thinking he could be a genius.

There's very little doubt imm that Pi is a work of art in many respects. Personally, I'm not likely to see this until I can 'fast forward'.

Have either of you seen Lust/Caution btw? If any film shows glimpses of this directors' bent and mind, it's this one.

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White