Cheers
Please login to vote!
Dec 2nd 2012, 02:02

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMacbeth
Hi Macbeth ,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Macbeth

Total Topics: 185, Posts: 2,145
View Predictions
Sorry to all the guys who complained that the above shows weren't in my first poll. There are only 10 options...

Dec 3rd 2012, 05:30

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJayDF
Hi JayDF,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

JayDF

Total Topics: 31, Posts: 940
View Predictions
Huge fan of all of these, well not a huge fan of THE COSBY SHOW, but there were some great episodes the first two years for sure.  Of these I think only CHEERS and THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW were consistently great over the entire run.  Since CHEERS had more years to be great, it gets my vote.

PS. ROSEANNE is on there twice. 
Dec 3rd 2012, 09:34

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineAnthony
Hi Anthony,

Anthony

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 620
View Predictions
I will be honest in saying that I have always respected M*A*S*H but never loved it. Roseanne and Mary Tyler Moore are shows I have liked certain episodes from but I can't sit down and watch them repeatedly nor do I have the same passion for them as I do some of these others. The Cosby Show also falls into this trap as I never particularly saw its massive appeal. The first two seasons were easily the best and then the third dropped significantly and then it was downhill from there....and surprisingly, Emmy voters actually took notice to that.

I am not sure what show will be put in to replace the second Roseanne on the ballot but for the remaining contenders:

The Golden Girls is interesting for me in the sense that I do absolutely adore the show and the ensemble is definitely among the best and most iconic in television history and it had such hilarious writing but what also hurt the show WAS its writing because the inconsistent plot points it had, which mainly had to do with either their children or other family members or also just the characters' histories themselves....one thing that came to mind was Dorothy's history with Stan which varied on how exactly they met.

Cheers was never always laugh out loud funny but it was very smart and very put-together. Ironically, it was Rhea Pearlman, the most outrageous character on the show who got the most attention but I felt she was easily the weakest aspect of the show. I love Rhea Pearlman but I think a lot of it just stemmed from the fact I just could never get into how they wrote Carla and that she never really overcame that. I remember growing up how people always talked about Cheers and seeing Kirstie Alley on it and there was such a huge backlash against Shelley Long, but frankly I feel the Shelley Long years were the best, though the show was still very strong after she left....and Kirstie Alley really did take off as Rebecca.

All in the Family is the other show I am considering voting for along with these other two shows. As a kid, I always loved older television, older movies, the theatre....strange things compared to my generations favorite childhood hobbies, but I remember when All in the Family premiered on Nick at Nite and I hadn't heard of it before, even by my family talking about it. I started watching it and despite how much it was only for adults, I actually understood most of it and enjoyed the show....I also respect it highly for really reshaping the television sticom and tackling several serious issues which made for some absolutely stellar episodes that put any chessy "Very Special episodes" today to shame (Edith almost getting raped and Edith's transvestite friend getting brutally murdered  are the ones that always come to mind).

I think that The Golden Girls is the most rewatchable and entertaining of the three, while Cheers was very smart and witty...then All In The Family could be entertaining and smart and was really the sitcom that many others should be thankful even existed, so by two short hairs, I will give my vote to ALL IN THE FAMILY.        

Dec 3rd 2012, 12:16

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLaactingnyc
Hi Laactingnyc ,

Laactingnyc

Total Topics: 90, Posts: 3,636
View Predictions
The Golden Girls

Brilliant Cast
Brilliant Writing

Susan Harris (creator and writer of the show) is a genius.

This show is a classic that will entertain for generations to come.
Dec 3rd 2012, 20:54

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

Miss Frost

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 4,406
View Predictions
I don't understand how the writing went down in Golden Girls throughout the season. The only episodes I really skipped were the ones with Stan in them.
Dec 4th 2012, 00:06

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGucci
Hi Gucci,

Gucci

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 9,923
View Predictions
"The Cosby Show"
"The Golden Girls"
Dec 4th 2012, 12:13

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLaactingnyc
Hi Laactingnyc ,

Laactingnyc

Total Topics: 90, Posts: 3,636
View Predictions
I thought the writing for the Golden Girls was consistent. The point is to me every episode was entertaining.