Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Dec 12th 2012, 22:21
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineCarbon Based Lifeform
Hi Carbon Based Lifeform,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Carbon Based Lifeform

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 3,101
View Predictions
S'il vous plaît continuer...

Dec 12th 2012, 22:43
Hide Post  Hide Post  
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Carbon Based Lifeform

View Predictions

Dec 12th 2012, 23:09
Hide Post  Hide Post  

Carbon Based Lifeform

View Predictions

Dec 12th 2012, 23:18
Hide Post  Hide Post  

Carbon Based Lifeform

View Predictions

Dec 12th 2012, 23:24
Hide Post  Hide Post  

Carbon Based Lifeform

View Predictions

Dec 13th 2012, 05:45
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBamaEd
Hi BamaEd,

BamaEd

Total Topics: 9, Posts: 789
View Predictions
Wow, Lisa's review was not kind. It did sound like she went into it with a bit of a pre-disposition. There was some actual criticism buried in it though and directed at Hooper. It will be interesting to see the public response to the movie.
FYC Emmys: The Good Wife, in everything; Cicely Tyson "The Trip to Bountiful"; "(Do It On My) Twin Bed" - Best Original Song
Dec 13th 2012, 05:51
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGuilty of Being Innocent
Hi Guilty of Being Innocent,

Guilty of Being Innocent

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 47
View Predictions
Les Mis is following this Nine-ish trajectory (big buzz that fades really fast), and Hooper's lack of a Globe nod (from a group that traditionally beats off to musicals) is kind of telling. Although Les Mis is a much, much better movie than that piece of crap.
Dec 13th 2012, 14:00
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineFreddyAlmonte
Hi FreddyAlmonte,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 87
View Predictions
The lack of Directing nod hurt Les Miz much more than the review, I just hope that if Les Miz doesn't win the BP Oscar then Lincoln does.
Dec 13th 2012, 14:01
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJackO
Hi JackO,

JackO

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 792
View Predictions
Les Mis is dead on the water
Dec 13th 2012, 17:02
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 99, Posts: 10,704
View Predictions
Quote by PJ_Edwards
Les Mis is dead on the water

Is it?

For anyone interested, TCM has three different film versions of Les Mis airing today. Fyi

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Dec 13th 2012, 17:49
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
It is dead in terms of having any realistic chance of winning BP, unless the reviews miraculously turn around, the public makes it a big hit (which hardly helped Mamma Mia) and Academy members reacted vastly differently than critics, for which to this degree there is no precedent.
Again, the nail in the coffin is preferential voting. If there were five nominees, most votes win as was previously done, and it was an incredibly close race among all five, it might have had a slight chance - if it got nominated. Under this system, that won't happen. 

Dec 14th 2012, 06:30
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineadamunc
Hi adamunc,

adamunc

Total Topics: 30, Posts: 1,903
View Predictions
Quote by BamaEd
Wow, Lisa's review was not kind. It did sound like she went into it with a bit of a pre-disposition. There was some actual criticism buried in it though and directed at Hooper. It will be interesting to see the public response to the movie.

It's got a 7.8 on IMDB now from over 2300 users. There's a good possibility the film will repeat the trajectory of the stage production, which received lukewarm reviews but was very quickly made a popular success by word-of-mouth. It's an audience piece, for sure.

What's interesting is that the reviews of British vs. American critics for the film are of the opposite tone than from the stage production. Original London reviews for the stage production were negative, while it was much better-received in New York, including getting a very positive review from Frank Rich (aka "The Butcher of Broadway") in the Times. Conversely, for the film, the British press seems much more positive than the American.

Let me be your emergency contact

Your occasional plus-one

Your excuse to take a sick day

When the forecast calls for sun...

Dec 14th 2012, 08:42
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineSmileynate
Hi Smileynate,

Smileynate

Total Topics: 3, Posts: 379
View Predictions
Here's my take on the film.   It has a pre-sold audience....much bigger than "Nine" did so I don't think that's a fair comparison.  People who love "Les Mis" really LOVE "Les Mis" and if the actors are good and the songs are there, they're going to be happy.  As mentioned before, this seems to be on a similar critical trajectory to the original reviews for the show, and we know how that turned out.  No matter what, it's going to open big- it's like "Twilight" for musical theatre geeks.  What it does after that box-office wise, we won't know until audience reaction hits.  I think unless the movie completely desecrates on people's fondness and memories of the musical, it's going to get good word of mouth.

As for Oscar, if it wins, great.  If it doesn't, no biggie.  As long as it entertains me and I get my $9 worth (I'm seeing it in LA, so maybe more!), I'm happy.  I would love Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman to be nominated, but at this point that is just based on my admiration of these two as actors and performers, with a confidence in their abilities.  

I will say though that some of the poor reviews seem less artistically critical and more just a chance to take swipes.  I usually like Schwartzbaum, for example, but man, she seemed angry at the movie.  Which is weird, but oh well.
Dec 14th 2012, 11:31
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGuilty of Being Innocent
Hi Guilty of Being Innocent,

Guilty of Being Innocent

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 47
View Predictions
Quote by AdamBeck
Quote by BamaEd

It's got a 7.8 on IMDB now from over 2300 users. There's a good possibility the film will repeat the trajectory of the stage production, which received lukewarm reviews but was very quickly made a popular success by word-of-mouth. It's an audience piece, for sure.

What's interesting is that the reviews of British vs. American critics for the film are of the opposite tone than from the stage production. Original London reviews for the stage production were negative, while it was much better-received in New York, including getting a very positive review from Frank Rich (aka "The Butcher of Broadway") in the Times. Conversely, for the film, the British press seems much more positive than the American.

....The problem with that iMDB rating is that most people haven't even seen it yet... 
Dec 14th 2012, 11:45
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
And the film was heavily screened for people who were likely to love it.

IMDb ratings before a film opens are pretty worthless.