Never miss important news and predictions on Oscars, Golden Globes, Grammys, Emmys and your fave reality TV shows.
facebookLike twitterFollow
pop up close

Notification Tool : Best Picture/Director thread: The Necessary Sequel
Follow what's new with:
Best Picture/Director thread: The Necessary Sequel
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 8th 2013, 15:25

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Logan

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 1,855
View Predictions
...continue
Feb 8th 2013, 15:33

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Logan

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 1,855
View Predictions
One thing (listening to the Thompson podcast), I don't understand the sentiment by some that Life of Pi was the most challenging film to pull off from the films nominated this year. It's an often beautiful looking film, but when watching it I got the impression that the present day scenes were shot when the budget was running on empty.
Feb 10th 2013, 14:11

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions

Weinstein apparently isn't concerned that overkill might have harmed Lincoln's chances.

Evidence: the infomercial being shown on LA TV this weekend has been renamed. It is now:

"Silver Linings Playbook: The Movie That Became a Movement"

Who knew?     

Feb 10th 2013, 14:22

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTV12
Hi TV12,

TV12

Total Topics: 54, Posts: 1,971
View Predictions
I don't like that slug but he sure is good at his job.

Anyway, I have been going back and forth btwn Lee and Spielberg for director just because they are who they are. Assuming "Argo" wins BP, voters will likely reward it Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Editing (at least the latter). Voters at BAFTA clearly admired O'Russells' work in "SLP" and wanted to give him that award over 3 films nomiated for more BAFTA's. Voters in the Academy might skip over him for Adapted Screenplay but hand him Best Director. It's a new theory and a shaky one at best, but I'm going with it. O'Russell to #1.

If Lee or Spielberg wins, I will fully expect them to hand that damn statuette over to Ben Affleck. That's a classy move that will help you win down the road.

...or nah?

Feb 10th 2013, 14:25

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

View Predictions
No one has ever given his Oscar statuette to a competitor (much less one that wasn't nominated). Affleck would never accept - why would he need an award that is incribed in someone else's name?

And Kathryn Bigelow was a much bigger snub anyway. 

Feb 10th 2013, 14:29

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDamianWayne
Hi DamianWayne,

DamianWayne

Total Topics: 13, Posts: 1,282
Quote by Scottferguson

A movement? What movement?
Feb 10th 2013, 14:32

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTV12
Hi TV12,

TV12

Total Topics: 54, Posts: 1,971
View Predictions
No one had ever won Best Director races at the Golden Globes, DGA Awards, and BAFTA Awards and not been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director. So...

And I'm leaving my opinion out of this and using the fact that if he had been nominated, he would have won without a doubt in my mind. I enjoyed "Zero Dark Thirty" more than "Argo." Hell, I enjoyed "Skyfall" more than "Argo." But it is the sheer honest fact that he should win it even if I do not believe he deserved it.

...or nah?

Feb 10th 2013, 14:35

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMalickFanboy
Hi MalickFanboy,

MalickFanboy

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 2,039
View Predictions
Still holding out hope that Ang Lee is gonna take Best Director. Life of Pi is an incredible directorial achievement that fingers crossed will get its recognition.
Feb 10th 2013, 14:38

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

View Predictions
Quote by DamianWayne
Quote by Scottferguson

A movement? What movement?

This is all part of Weinstein's pivot from "SLP - what a terrific comedy" to "SLP - the movie that made sympathy for the mentally ill hip". The movement part is that it focuses on how much good SLP has done for that cause.

Like I said, this has backlash written all over it, and possibly might extend to Lawrence's chances. I really don't see how it wins votes.    

Feb 10th 2013, 15:02

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDamianWayne
Hi DamianWayne,

DamianWayne

Total Topics: 13, Posts: 1,282
LOL!! I don't think SLP has done anything for mental illness awareness.
Feb 10th 2013, 15:51

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJackO
Hi JackO,

JackO

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 837
View Predictions
Lincoln is DDL show. Pi is dead. Haneke lost to Django. WHile SLP just won best screenplay. Lock Russell in.

Feb 11th 2013, 04:41

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineseabel
Hi seabel,

seabel

Total Topics: 49, Posts: 1,376
View Predictions
Harvey Weinstein is building the "Every actor wants to work with David O. Russell" but I'm not so sure anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMVILMo1Cq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38AY1fqKR0s

You could not delete this videos, am I right Harvey?
Feb 11th 2013, 08:29

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineWorthyWinner
Hi WorthyWinner,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 53
View Predictions
Quote by tuckerv
I don't like that slug but he sure is good at his job.

Anyway, I have been going back and forth btwn Lee and Spielberg for director just because they are who they are. Assuming "Argo" wins BP, voters will likely reward it Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Editing (at least the latter). Voters at BAFTA clearly admired O'Russells' work in "SLP" and wanted to give him that award over 3 films nomiated for more BAFTA's. Voters in the Academy might skip over him for Adapted Screenplay but hand him Best Director. It's a new theory and a shaky one at best, but I'm going with it. O'Russell to #1.

If Lee or Spielberg wins, I will fully expect them to hand that damn statuette over to Ben Affleck. That's a classy move that will help you win down the road.

Why? Because Affleck didn't get nomination for mediocre film? It is about best. No matter what Argo wins it doesn't change that Lincoln or Life of Pi is better than it. Actually Affleck ahould give all his awards to Spielberg or Lee.

And in your opininon Pollack should give it to Spielberg in 1985 or Mel Gibson to Ron Howard in 1995?
Feb 11th 2013, 12:37

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinefigure8
Hi figure8,

figure8

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 515
View Predictions

Regarding the SLP campaign, i do think it and the movie has done good for awareness. Although i must say, De Niro, Cooper and O. Russell, all breaking down on the Katie Show was quite something. I understand the movie has split people thinking it worthy or not. As a fan i am happy for its success. The unexpected win in BAFTA was a delight, even when it only got 3 nominations.

In terms of Oscars, a win anywhere would be a pleasent surprise to me. Its not a lock anywhere is it? I know people are predicting Lawrence to win but i still think that race is pretty open.

Feb 11th 2013, 12:52

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offline24Emmy
Hi 24Emmy,

24Emmy

Total Topics: 182, Posts: 5,184
View Predictions
I'm still predicting Lincoln pulls out the huge upset and wins Best Picture (it won't, but hey I stayed with The Social Network and Moneyball until the end).

Here's hoping Steven Spielberg at least wins Best Director.

"Thank you. Oh man. This might be the one time I'm speechless." -- Robin Williams (RIP)