Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 8th 2013, 15:52
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDaniel Montgomery
Hi Daniel Montgomery,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Daniel Montgomery

Total Topics: 81, Posts: 2,213
View Predictions
Hi all,

Not ready to get the process started just set, but I do plan to hold another Goldie Awards this year. Oscar season has kept me plenty busy, so hopefully soon after those are over I can get it started.

One important change: With only four shows competing in this cycle -- as we've all heard, AMC and OLTL may be back for the 2013 awards -- there's no reason to have seven acting categories, so I'm eliminating the younger acting awards. With only four shows, if an actor under 26 can't make it into the lead or supporting race, they probably shouldn't be nominated anyway.

I haven't decided about the limited/guest category.

Also, will probably not bother holding a preliminary round for Best Drama: the four remaining shows will be nominated by default. I think they deserve it just for surviving this long.
siskel ebert
Feb 8th 2013, 16:23
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineyoungsoapfan
Hi youngsoapfan,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 113
View Predictions
Just a suggestion, as opposed to actually eliminating the younger acting categories altogether, what about combining into one category instead, and have both sexes nominated, there may only be 4 soaps, but a lot of people don't think of the younger actors and actresses when it comes to thinking supporting, and usually not lead.
Feb 8th 2013, 19:39
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDaniel Montgomery
Hi Daniel Montgomery,

Daniel Montgomery

View Predictions
Thanks for the input.

I'll consider that, but even when soaps were relatively booming, I think people like Eden Riegel, Van Hansis, etc. would have made it in supporting or lead races anyway. With only four soaps in this year's contest, if people don't think of any younger actors when voting for the supporting or lead races, it may say more about the slate of younger actors than the categories.
siskel ebert
Feb 8th 2013, 21:28
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineEmmyLoser
Hi EmmyLoser,

EmmyLoser

Total Topics: 46, Posts: 2,342
View Predictions
I think youngsoapfan has a good point about people just not thinking of the younger actors in the same league as the supporting and lead actors, regardless of quality.  But I also think that having more acting categories than competing soaps is a little absurd.  I'd hate for the deserving younger actors to be lost in the shuffle, but really how many of those are there?  We'll be doing FYCs and all that, so as long as someone remembers to plug the younger actors who merit consideration, I think ditching the younger categories would be fine.

Both Christie Clark and Carrie Reed have had their babies. Now bring them back to Salem!

Feb 9th 2013, 11:48
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineeastwest
Hi eastwest,

eastwest

Total Topics: 104, Posts: 3,124
View Predictions
I am torn on the younger acting situation. While I do agree the quality of younger actors is not as strong as it used to be, I don't feel like the best of the bunch should be ignored either. I agree w/the idea of combining the categories, but then who other than Chandler Massey would round out the category? Well if the category is indeed eliminated, I think he might pop in the lead actor slot b/c Will's story was big on DAYS. I think the limited/guest one should stay too. GH could fill out the category w/people like Tristian Rogers, Florencia Lozano, Kassie DePaiva, Lynn Herring, etc. And I am sure the other soaps had notable guest spots (I think Ken Howard's appearnece as Phyllis dad on Y&R happened last year). And w/iAMC and iOLTL makng its debut this year and pending quality, things may not be looking as bleak as I thought they were this time last year.
Mar 21st 2013, 20:27
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDaniel Montgomery
Hi Daniel Montgomery,

Daniel Montgomery

View Predictions
Hi guys,

Sorry for the silence about these Goldie Awards. I'm almost ready to get these off the ground. I have a proposal for those who want to keep the younger acting categories.

With only four soaps in contention at this year's Goldies (things should go back to normal next year when AMC and OLTL are once again eligible), any more than five acting categories seems like overkill. I proposed dropping the Younger Acting categories and leaving 2 Lead, 2 Supporting, Guest.

For those who would prefer to keep the younger categories this year, would you rather this configuration: Lead Performance, Supporting Performance, Younger Performance, Limited/Guest Performance? That's four gender-neutral categories.

It'll definitely be one of those two choices. I'll decide soon, but wanted to hear reactions to see what you guys would prefer:

Option A (5) - Lead Actor and Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, Limited/Guest

Option B (4) - Lead Performance, Supporting Performance, Younger Performances, Limited/Guest Performance 
siskel ebert
Mar 21st 2013, 20:46
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBoidiva02
Hi Boidiva02 ,

Boidiva02

Total Topics: 114, Posts: 2,303
View Predictions
Quote by Daniel_Montgomery
Hi guys,

Sorry for the silence about these Goldie Awards. I'm almost ready to get these off the ground. I have a proposal for those who want to keep the younger acting categories.

With only four soaps in contention at this year's Goldies (things should go back to normal next year when AMC and OLTL are once again eligible), any more than five acting categories seems like overkill. I proposed dropping the Younger Acting categories and leaving 2 Lead, 2 Supporting, Guest.

For those who would prefer to keep the younger categories this year, would you rather this configuration: Lead Performance, Supporting Performance, Younger Performance, Limited/Guest Performance? That's four gender-neutral categories.

It'll definitely be one of those two choices. I'll decide soon, but wanted to hear reactions to see what you guys would prefer:

Option A (5) - Lead Actor and Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, Limited/Guest

Option B (4) - Lead Performance, Supporting Performance, Younger Performances, Limited/Guest Performance 

I say Option A. I hate the idea of gender neutral category.

“In the end, we won’t remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”- Martin Luther King Jr.

Mar 22nd 2013, 13:29
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineEmmyLoser
Hi EmmyLoser,

EmmyLoser

Total Topics: 46, Posts: 2,342
View Predictions
Yeah, I think I like Option A better as well, but I don't feel all that strongly about it.  I'd have to see the gender-neutral lead and supporting categories play out before deciding how I feel about them, and of course by then it would be too late to issue an opinion.

Both Christie Clark and Carrie Reed have had their babies. Now bring them back to Salem!

Mar 22nd 2013, 18:06
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineeastwest
Hi eastwest,

eastwest

Total Topics: 104, Posts: 3,124
View Predictions
Option A for sure.
Mar 22nd 2013, 19:27
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinegdfl
Hi gdfl,

Total Topics: 31, Posts: 1,059
View Predictions
Option A.  I seriously entertained the idea of gender neutral categories, but ditching the kids category is the better option.
Mar 23rd 2013, 10:40
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMorgan_Henard
Hi Morgan_Henard,

Total Topics: 44, Posts: 1,360
View Predictions
Absolutely option A. The idea of gender-neutral categories in any awards "ceremony" is ridiculous.

[The only exception that comes to mind I could ever think of would be "Best Recast-Performance" at the Tony Awards (didn't they used to have that)?]