Email

Advertisement

Feb 8th 2013, 17:42

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinenkb325
Hi nkb325,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

nkb325

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 978
View Predictions
People always talk about "oscar scenes" when it comes to actors, and there are some performances when everyone can point to that one scene that won the oscar. Not that they weren't deserving, but there's sometimes that one scene that goes on youtube as the scene that won them the oscar

This year it looks like it's going to be Anne Hathaway singing I Dreamed a Dream, in the past it's been someone like Beatrice Straight who literally was only in one scene.

What are some other examples of actors who basically had the oscar after shooting one certain scene?
Feb 8th 2013, 17:56

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTyler G
Hi Tyler G,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Tyler G

Total Topics: 24, Posts: 457
View Predictions
Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls is the first that pops into my mind.

Feb 8th 2013, 18:04

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

Miss Frost

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 4,406
View Predictions
Katharine Hepburn's "It's not that I don't want to you know you, although I don't..." scene from Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7__WVG7vM8
Feb 8th 2013, 18:11

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

Logan

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 1,863
View Predictions

There are parallels but some major differences (notably screen time) between the Hudson/Hathaway situations.

I would actually start off by saying that I don't think any of the scenes I'm about to names are the sole reasons why these people won, but they stick out to me as "Oscar scenes:" 

For Bullock, I think she was helped by one of the very last scenes (dropping Oher off at college). 
Winslet has that courtroom scene where she smacks her hand against the table.
Cotillard has "MARCEEEEEL!"
Kidman's "I'm dying in this town!"
Berry's breakdown at the hospital.
MacLaine's "Give my daughter the shot!"
Streep's "choice" scene.

Maybe the go-to example? Luise Rainer's telephone conversation in The Great Ziegfeld.    

Feb 8th 2013, 18:12

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinemsnowden1
Hi msnowden1,

msnowden1

Total Topics: 118, Posts: 2,971
View Predictions
Beatrice Straight is the one that comes into my mind first. She basically won for a monologue. Literally, she was only in ONE scene! About Hathaway, her ENTIRE performance screams Oscar! She deserves it. Better her than Jacki Weaver. 
"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong."- Robin Williams
Feb 8th 2013, 18:15

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinemsnowden1
Hi msnowden1,

msnowden1

Total Topics: 118, Posts: 2,971
View Predictions
Sometimes, the Academy doesn't reward the best performances. Orson Welles in Citizen Kane, Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married, Martin Landau in Crimes and Misdemeanors. I can go on and on all day.
"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong."- Robin Williams
Feb 8th 2013, 18:16

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDaniel Montgomery
Hi Daniel Montgomery,

Daniel Montgomery

Total Topics: 89, Posts: 2,270
View Predictions
"It's raining!!" probably clinched it for Renee Zellweger in "Cold Mountain."
siskel ebert
Feb 8th 2013, 20:13

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLaactingnyc
Hi Laactingnyc ,

Laactingnyc

Total Topics: 90, Posts: 3,658
View Predictions
Octavia Spencer......... "Eat My Shit"
Feb 8th 2013, 20:15

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLexMG
Hi LexMG,

LexMG

Total Topics: 10, Posts: 730
View Predictions
Quote by tyjagi

Really? That's something new, I thought people were always accusing her of category fraud, more than anything? 

Feb 8th 2013, 20:21

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 101, Posts: 10,959
View Predictions
There are quite a few examples.
Ned Beatty's one spectacular scene in Network.
Maureen Stapleton won that year, but Melinda Dillon's one scene is something else. Actually there are at least two scenes for me, and the second one she delivers without uttering a word, in Absence of Malice. Unforgettable. I wish that Lindsay Crouse had received Oscar recognition for her one scene in The Verdict. I think she's one of the very best parts in the film.

Eileen Heckart's scene in The Bad Seed is iconic.
Victor Buono is hilarious and unforgettable in his one scene in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
I thought Ben Johnson was good throughout, but his scene by the lake is unforgettable, in The Last Picture Show.
Props to  Miranda Richardson, for Damages. She's pretty memorable in her one, big scene.
  If I had a choice I would have gone with Laura Linney over Marcia Gay Harden for that one scene she had with Penn. Jmho.
And I have to mention Viola Davis in Doubt. Amazing, imo.
 Jackie Weaver is in it throughout, but it's her one, chilling scene near the end of Animal Kingdom that solidified her very deserved nomination.

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Feb 8th 2013, 21:30

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDaniel Montgomery
Hi Daniel Montgomery,

Daniel Montgomery

Total Topics: 89, Posts: 2,270
View Predictions
Quote by Lex4589
Quote by tyjagi

Really? That's something new, I thought people were always accusing her of category fraud, more than anything? 

I think Jennifer Hudson gives a leading performance in "Dreamgirls," but she probably would have won the Oscar anyway if her only screentime were "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." And she probably wouldn't have won without it.
siskel ebert
Feb 8th 2013, 22:32

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineHalo_Insider
Hi Halo_Insider,

Halo_Insider

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 3,357
View Predictions
Heh heh, I was about to mention Beatrice Straight as well, although I figure that lends itself to the obvious joke that her monologue opposite William Holden is practically her only scene in the film (unless they were really impressed by her one scene beforehand when she wakes up her husband to tell him Peter Finch's character left Wink).
Feb 8th 2013, 22:55

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGoMe91
Hi GoMe91,

GoMe91

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 1,127
View Predictions
I love this topic!!! 

However...some of these I disagree with. Marion Cotillard was exceptional throughout the movie. She was practically in every scene and she was great in every one of them. C'mon! Cotillard undoubtedly gave a full leading Oscar worthy performance. Same goes to Octavia Spencer. "Eat My Shit" was an iconic scene but...no. She had other scenes to work with. (I mean, her scenes with Jessicsa Chastain were fantastic).

However, I do think Nicole Kidman(The Hours) won because of one scene (the train scene). And Viola Davis also had one really baity scene that gave her the buzz for The Help (when she cries/talks about how her son died). However, great scenes and they both deserved to win/should of won.

Other one scene performances (as far as I know so far): Juliette Binoche in Chocolat (the scene when her daughter almost dies in the lake), Viola Davis again for Doubt, Michael Shannon for Revolutionary Road, Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married (her fight with her mother), Richard Jenkins in the Visitor, Jessica Chastain (ZDT...I still think she's wonderful and I would be very happy if she won!!! So don't beat me up for this), 

Made in America

Feb 9th 2013, 00:14

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

Logan

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 1,863
View Predictions
Quote by GoMe91
However...some of these I disagree with. Marion Cotillard was exceptional throughout the movie. She was practically in every scene and she was great in every one of them. C'mon! Cotillard undoubtedly gave a full leading Oscar worthy performance
I mentioned before I listed the scenes I chose that I was selecting the sort of scenes that stand out as particularly memorable - it's not to say that that was the only worthy scene from each winning performance. Outside of just a few cases in the lead categories (perhaps Kidman being a very good example), I don't know if I can think of any performance that was basically fluff until one specific sequence (if Hathaway wins, that's a go-to example).

Some more Oscar scenes:

Firth crying to Bonham Carter (well, that and "the speech")
Day-Lewis's "I've abandoned my boy!" - this might have been the plate smashing scene (Spacek) of 2007
Swinton's scene preparing herself for her meeting
Weisz's first scene telling off the Fiennes character
Connelly's breakdown after Nash doesn't sleep with her (this was the first scene that made me curious about awards)
Dench's last speech 
Tomei on the stand

Feb 9th 2013, 05:29

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineseabel
Hi seabel,

seabel

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 1,473
View Predictions
I have a doubt about this thread. Are we saying the performances were undeserved but their big scene was superb and deserving? Or are we saying that the performers were good and their big scene sealed the Oscar win?

MARLON BRANDO, On the Waterfront
"I could have been a contender" scene.

MARLON BRANDO, The Godfather
"You come to my house..." scene.

PETER FINCH, Network
"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!" scene.

ANTHONY HOPKINS, The Silence of the Lambs
The first conversation with Clarice.

SEAN PENN, Mystic River
"Is my daughter there???" scene.

GEORGE SANDERS, All About Eve
The scene in the hotel with Eve Harrington.

JOEL GREY, Cabaret
The opening number.

CUBA GOODING JUNIOR, Jerry Maguire
"Show me the money!!!"

MORGAN FREEMAN, Million Dollar Baby
110 scene.

JO VAN FLEET, East of Eden
Nobody holds me!!!

BEATRICE STRAIGHT, Network
Her only scene.

BRENDA FRICKER, My left foot
The "Mother" scene.

MARISA TOMEI, My cousin Vinny
The trial scene.

JUDI DENCH, Shakespeare in love
Her final monologue and final scene with the mud.

CATE BLANCHETT, The Aviator
The family scene.

JENNIFER HUDSON, Dreamgirls
And I'm telling you I'm not going.

OCTAVIA SPENCER, The Help
Eat my shit

VIVIEN LEIGH, Gone with the wind
The swearing scene in the horizon.

MERYL STREEP, Sophie's Choice
"I can't choose!!!" scene.

FRANCES McDORMAND, Fargo
Her scene in the car with Peter Stormare.

NICOLE KIDMAN, The Hours
The station scene.