Notification Tool : How many Grammys does Rihanna really have?
Follow what's new with:
How many Grammys does Rihanna really have?
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 11th 2013, 12:36
Hide Post    
offlineNellypologetic
Hi Nellypologetic,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 35
View Predictions
6? 7? or 8?

Before last night Rihanna had 5 Grammys:

Best Rap/Sung Collab (Umbrella, Run This Town, All of the Lights)

Best Rap Song (Run This Town)

Best Dance Reording (Only Girl) 

Then she picked up Best Short Form Music Video last night bringing her total to 6. However LL COOL J announced her as a 7 time Grammy winner. Now this is where it gets tricky. Apparently since Drake won Best Rap Album and Rihanna was a featured artist she also got that Grammy too increasing her total to 7.

But Kanye West won Best Rap Album last year so how comes Rihanna didnt get a Grammy for that? or did she which would bring her total to 8.

Did they change the rules this year? Because it used to just be if the album won Album of the Year then the featured artist got the Grammy as well. 
Feb 11th 2013, 12:41
Hide Post    
offlineblueprint
Hi blueprint,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 2,105
View Predictions
I don't think featured artists win in the genre album categories, only for AOTY.
She only has 6.
And if you wanna make sense
Whatcha looking at me for?
Feb 11th 2013, 12:51
Hide Post    
offlineTV12
Hi TV12,

Total Topics: 54, Posts: 1,949
View Predictions
The confusing seventh win isn't for Best Rap Album. She did not win for that. It is for Best Rap Song last year when apparently she was nominated and won for Best Rap Song for "All of the Lights." However, "All of the Lights" was also nominated for SOTY and she was not mentioned on the public ballot or on the telecast. The Grammy archive lists Rihanna (her stage name) as a 4-time winner and Robyn Fenty (her real name) as a 1-time winner. So, technically, Rihanna only has 5 Grammys.

Grammys 2014 FYC: Lil' B

Feb 11th 2013, 12:53
Hide Post    
offlineNellypologetic
Hi Nellypologetic,

View Predictions
wikipedia isnt reliable but they are crediting the Best Rap Album win. Also from the Grammy website "Award recipients include the producersengineers, and/or mixers associated with the nominated work in addition to the recording artists"

Maybe the rules were changed this year and it kind of makes sense because why only give it for album of the year? If you contributed to the album you should be rewarded if the album wins in any category.
Feb 11th 2013, 12:53
Hide Post    
offlineLeonardo
Hi Leonardo,

Total Topics: 21, Posts: 706
View Predictions
YearCategoryTitleWinners
2011 Best Rap/Sung Collaboration All Of The Lights Fergie, Kanye West, Kid Cudi & Rihanna, artists.
2010 Best Dance Recording Only Girl (In The World) Rihanna, artist. Philip Tan & Sandy Vee, mixers. Kuk Harrell, Sandy Vee & Stargate (Mikkel Eriksen, Tor Hermansen), producers.
2009 Best Rap/Sung Collaboration Run This Town Jay-Z, Kanye West & Rihanna, artists.
2007 Best Rap/Sung Collaboration Umbrella Rihanna & Shawn Carter, artists.
YearCategoryTitleWinners
2009 Best Rap Song Run This Town Ernest Wilson, Jeff Bhasker, Kanye West, Robyn Fenty & Shawn Carter (Jay-Z), songwriters.

That's what the GRAMMYs page shows, plus the one of last night for Short Form Music Video for 'We Found Love'. I don't think she won one in Best Rap Song for 'All of the Lights', since she didn't have a songwriting credit there, only as performer therefore she received one for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. So her total stands at 6 now. 

LL. not that Cool anymore J. obviously made a mistake. 
Feb 11th 2013, 12:57
Hide Post    
offlineNellypologetic
Hi Nellypologetic,

View Predictions
Quote by tuckerv
The confusing seventh win isn't for Best Rap Album. She did not win for that. It is for Best Rap Song last year when apparently she was nominated and won for Best Rap Song for "All of the Lights." However, "All of the Lights" was also nominated for SOTY and she was not mentioned on the public ballot or on the telecast. The Grammy archive lists Rihanna (her stage name) as a 4-time winner and Robyn Fenty (her real name) as a 1-time winner. So, technically, Rihanna only has 5 Grammys.

But its common knowledge that Rihanna did not write on AOTL and that Best Rap Song is a song writers award so she did not get Rap Song Grammy.

Also your technical math is not accurate because confusion aside she did win for Best Short Form last night so she is definately at 6. The issue now is whether she has more than 6.
Feb 11th 2013, 16:22
Hide Post    
offlineTV12
Hi TV12,

Total Topics: 54, Posts: 1,949
View Predictions
^^^No. The Grammy database does not list Rihanna as a winner this time around for Best Short Form Music Video. Artists were not rewarded this time around for Music Videos as the rules were changed. Mumford & Sons only won 1 Grammy last night, and that was AOTY.

That's settled then: Rihanna has five Grammy Awards.

Grammys 2014 FYC: Lil' B

Feb 11th 2013, 16:36
Hide Post    
offlinesyrus80
Hi syrus80,

Total Topics: 21, Posts: 223
View Predictions
What rule change? Rihanna won last night. The database hasn't been updated for any artist.
And the Oscar goes to...Kim Kardashian!
Feb 11th 2013, 16:50
Hide Post    
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
Rihanna has seven Grammys.
"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Feb 11th 2013, 17:18
Hide Post    
offlineBenitoDelicias
Hi BenitoDelicias,

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 1,968
View Predictions
But artists used to get credit within the category announcement for the video categories. This year they didn't. Only producers and directors got the credit. So that means that Rihanna and Mumford didn't win those Grammys? So Rihanna would have only 5.
Feb 11th 2013, 17:20
Hide Post    
offlineallabout oscars
Hi allabout oscars,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,396
The grammy numbers are totally ridiculous
based on the number of categories and collaborations
in rap, dance and R&B..

With Beyonce having 18 grammies..I just shake my head and laugh..
Feb 11th 2013, 17:29
Hide Post    
offlineBenitoDelicias
Hi BenitoDelicias,

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 1,968
View Predictions
I think that in the end we just have to wait and see if they update the winners search to see if they are included in the video wins or not, because at this point, they're even listing Dan Auerbach's Grammy for Producer of the Year as a win for The Black Keys.
Feb 11th 2013, 17:32
Hide Post    
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
Rihanna tweeted yesterday that she won her 7th Grammy. I think homegirl knows how many Grammys she has.
"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Feb 11th 2013, 17:40
Hide Post    
offlineNellypologetic
Hi Nellypologetic,

View Predictions
Quote by Max200
Rihanna has seven Grammys.

Are you able to list the seven? One of those "seven" cant be for BEST RAP SONG (AOTL) because she never wrote on it so where would the extra Grammy come from? 
Feb 11th 2013, 17:41
Hide Post    
offlineNellypologetic
Hi Nellypologetic,

View Predictions
Why is there confusion over the Video Grammy? The Grammy website says,

"108

Short Form Music Video

Videos Only

Award to the artist and to the video director/video producer"