Email

Advertisement

Feb 11th 2013, 21:42

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinerrussaw
Hi rrussaw,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

rrussaw

Total Topics: 13, Posts: 199
View Predictions
I know much has been made regarding Affleck's Best Director snub for Argo.  I, too, thought he deserved to be in the final five.   However, I was probably even more shocked that Bigelow was snubbed for Zero Dark Thirty.   I feel that of the two, however, people really will wonder for years to come how Bigelow failed to get nominated, especially for some of the final sequences of the movie.    Do you feel that there shoud be a strong mention with regards to  Bigelow's snub as well?  Does her snub "hurt" more than Affleck's?
Feb 11th 2013, 21:48

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMorgan_Henard
Hi Morgan_Henard,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 45, Posts: 1,381
What I find to be interesting is that, as we can see now, Zero Dark Thirty has endured a ton of backlash. I think Jessica Chastain may be the next greatest living American actress once Streep retires. But even she will lose votes by members who protest not her, but her film. If Best Picture was still only five noms, it too would have likely been snubbed. 

As for Affleck and his snub for Argo, it makes zero sense. Everyone disagrees with the snub and by everyone, I mean the BAFTAs, Globes, SAGs. Critics Choice and DGA. Snubbing Affleck makes the Academy look foolish and when the winner of the given 5 is called [I say Spielberg] I hope they at least mention Affleck. And Bigelow.  
Feb 11th 2013, 22:05

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 101, Posts: 10,932
View Predictions
Quote by rrussaw
I know much has been made regarding Affleck's Best Director snub for Argo.  I, too, thought he deserved to be in the final five.   However, I was probably even more shocked that Bigelow was snubbed for Zero Dark Thirty.   I feel that of the two, however, people really will wonder for years to come how Bigelow failed to get nominated, especially for some of the final sequences of the movie.    Do you feel that there shoud be a strong mention with regards to  Bigelow's snub as well?  Does her snub "hurt" more than Affleck's?

Well, "hurt" whom? Imo this wont hurt Bigelow at all. I've seen pretty much everything she's done in film. I never know what to expect from her as she defies any boundaries and she jumps genres seamlessly. I havent seen ZD30, but not because of any reservations about her direction in the technical sense at least.
And, I havent made any secret about how I feel about Affleck's 'direction'. This snub, does not appear to have hurt him, or his film even a little tiny bit. Lol. He's only made three films. All of them, have received acting nominations. He's an actor's director, being one himself. He's young, knows how to construct a good, entertaining film, and he has a very bright future, as a 'director'.

If you mean, "hurt" on a personal level. NO. Not at all. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}    

ETA: You know, these guys arent the only ones who missed a nom. And Tarantino, made a film this year which turns out to be, one of my favorites of the year. It wouldnt surprise me to see him win the screenplay Oscar, and Waltz, could very well "surprise" in Supporting. After all, he's won with other groups. 

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Feb 11th 2013, 22:11

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
I have no reason to think she didn't take it as or more personally than Affleck, and then the lack of backlash (as opposed to Affleck's rebound) likely has made the hurt worse.

Feb 11th 2013, 22:29

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 101, Posts: 10,932
View Predictions
Well, I have no reason to feel any kind of sympathy for her. She'll get over it.

Music

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Feb 11th 2013, 22:46

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLogan
Hi Logan,

Logan

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 1,863
View Predictions
The outrage went away as quickly as it came. I remember my first thoughts after the nominations were announced that her absence was outrageous (for me, it totally overshadowed Affleck). I think it was the worst snub of the year and though she was nominated for Picture, that doesn't make up for it to me.
Feb 11th 2013, 23:47

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineFishbiscuit
Hi Fishbiscuit,

Fishbiscuit

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 1,121
View Predictions
Bigelow not being nominated cheapens the category.  Ben, not so much.
That's a shame
Feb 12th 2013, 01:06

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJunk
Hi Junk,

Total Topics: 4, Posts: 1,322
View Predictions
Affleck and Bigelow over Russell and Zeitlin any day. Bigelow's especially is almost laughable.
Not taking anything away from Zeitlin's achievements, but it amazes me how the directors branch chose him over x100 bigger names like Affleck, Bigelow, Tarantino, PT Anderson, Mendes, Hooper in more buzzed about films.
Feb 12th 2013, 01:10

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineoscartoday.com
Hi oscartoday.com,

oscartoday.com

Total Topics: 8, Posts: 139
View Predictions
Bigelow, I believe. Zero Dark Thirty is a best directed movie than Argo. But Argo is a much better edited one. Argo should take best editing and ZDT should have been nominated (and win) best director.
Feb 12th 2013, 01:53

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGoMe91
Hi GoMe91,

GoMe91

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 1,127
View Predictions
Quote by kickass
Affleck and Bigelow over Russell and Zeitlin any day. Bigelow's especially is almost laughable.
Not taking anything away from Zeitlin's achievements, but it amazes me how the directors branch chose him over x100 bigger names like Affleck, Bigelow, Tarantino, PT Anderson, Mendes, Hooper in more buzzed about films.

Yeah. How dare the directors branch think out the box, for once!  

Made in America

Feb 12th 2013, 03:56

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineallabout oscars
Hi allabout oscars,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,396
This year , for me, correlates with 1995 in so many ways.
Thats the Apollo 13 director snub and all the precursors
leading up to the oscars, that in fact, BRAVEHEART  won
best picture and best director.

In that particular year , though, an even weirder thing happened.
DEAD MAN WALKING  and  LEAVING LAS VEGAS  both were snubbed
in the best picture category and everybody shook their heads in
disbelief because Tim Robbins and Mike Figgis were both nominated
for best director.....more unusual because people at the time felt that
either could win best director because the films were nominated in
other strong categories..each won the top acting prize..but in the end
Gibson and Braveheart won,, as I feel Spielberg and Lincoln will this year.

i think the AFFLECK BIGELOW  snubs are equally wrong since they both
made 2 of the best films of the year...and with 5, probably both wouldve
been nominated...the Haneke nom doesnt surprise me, as a foreign director
is welcomed now and then by the "club"..The Zeitlin nomination, for me
is plain silly...David Russell in hinesight deserves his nomation for directing
actors at the top of their game..

shouldve been
SPIELBERG
BIGELOW
AFFLECK
LEE
RUSSELL
Feb 12th 2013, 04:31

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineA Person
Hi A Person,

A Person

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 1,556
View Predictions
Replace Spielberg with Bigelow in the Oscar lineup and it would have been one of the strongest in decades.
Feb 12th 2013, 04:46

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineseabel
Hi seabel,

seabel

Total Topics: 51, Posts: 1,454
View Predictions
Kathryn Bigelow.

But enough with this Affleck and Bigelow snub. Enough. Paul Thomas Anderson and Quentin Tarantino were also snubbed and no one says anything.
Feb 12th 2013, 05:14

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineS†ardust
Hi S†ardust,

S†ardust

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,396
View Predictions
PTA, though not expected, was the preposterous snub (w/ The Master as the egregiously snubbed film). The best director & most deserving over all others nominated and snubbed.
It's absurd that Spielberg, Haneke, and the Beasts guy (and if not for either of the latter, Affleck) get automatically in over PTA.

Feb 12th 2013, 06:47

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJason Travis
Hi Jason Travis,

Total Topics: 46, Posts: 1,182
View Predictions
Quote by pcioth01
Replace Spielberg with Bigelow in the Oscar lineup and it would have been one of the strongest in decades.

Spielberg more than deserved his spot- it's an amazing achievement on his behalf. Wouldn't you have replaced Russell with Bigelow? That would have been one of the strongest lists in decades.

Experience JasonMovieGuy: http://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy

Follow Me on MoviePilot: http://moviepilot.com/users/1239192&nbs