Notification Tool : What is going to happen when Weinstein is not in the business?
Follow what's new with:
What is going to happen when Weinstein is not in the business?
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 12th 2013, 13:05
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineseabel
Hi seabel,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

seabel

Total Topics: 49, Posts: 1,251
View Predictions
Every year we talk about Harvey Weinstein and how the race changed when Miramax and, after, The Weinstein Company, started a tough competition, including polemic behaviour.

I was wondering today what is going to happen in the future when Harvey Weinstein dies (don't get me wrong, I don't want him dead, just wondering) or just quits from movie business. Will the Oscar race be more relaxed? Will the campaigns go back to quiet adverts and quiet interviews? Will there ever be another Harvey Weinstein?

What do you think? Right now, we (predictors) are inserted in the Oscar world that Harvey Weinstein created. But it might change in the future...
Feb 12th 2013, 13:35
Hide Post  Hide Post  
Hi ,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 0
Shhhh Or I'll get my hopes up (just retired not dead).  Politics and insider juggling will still take place as it always has, but we can hope that it will not be loud, in your face, over the top, steam roller, offensive and blatant noise.  
Feb 12th 2013, 13:55
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 99, Posts: 10,714
View Predictions
This question reminds me of Cronenberg's, The Brood. Anyone see that film?

523 × 549 - picturenose.com

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Feb 12th 2013, 17:59
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineS†ardust
Hi S†ardust,

S†ardust

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,371
View Predictions
Campaigns will never go back to quiet adverts and interviews. There will always be politics involved.
It's a profound and permament cultural change that's happened. When Harvey dies or retires (doubt he'd ever really retire), someone else will take his "place". Everyone plays his game (and will continue to), he just does it louder and more shamelessly. Everyone plays dirty and strategically in Hollywood, and he's responsible for magnifying and normalizing that.

The only way Oscar races become more relaxed is if the Oscars ever lose their relevancy (e.g., appeal, glamour, influence, importance).

Feb 12th 2013, 18:16
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
People already do what he does. People trained by him have already won Oscars for other films (the woman who masterminded the campaigns in the 1990s and start of the 2000s) oversaw victories for Crash and The Hurt Locker.

He created the template. Unlike the others, he is a personality who is an outfront spokesman. But if he disappeared tomorrow, virtually nothing would change. 

Feb 12th 2013, 18:18
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
By the way, Harvey didn't even create the current mode. That was done by Island Releasing, which in 1986 won both best actor and actress for two of their indie films (Kiss of the Spider Woman and A Trip to Bountiful). They were the first who sent screeners (videos) to members.

They weren't as noisy, but they got the job done. Harvey followed their lead.  

Feb 12th 2013, 18:24
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineS†ardust
Hi S†ardust,

S†ardust

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,371
View Predictions
^Well there you go.
"If he disappeared tomorrow, virtually nothing would change" - exactly.

Feb 12th 2013, 19:52
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJackO
Hi JackO,

JackO

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 795
View Predictions
It will probably be like the much of the precursors this year: With the big studios dominating everything. 
Feb 12th 2013, 20:18
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

View Predictions
Quote by Scottferguson
People already do what he does. People trained by him have already won Oscars for other films (the woman who masterminded the campaigns in the 1990s and start of the 2000s) oversaw victories for Crash and The Hurt Locker.

He created the template. Unlike the others, he is a personality who is an outfront spokesman. But if he disappeared tomorrow, virtually nothing would change. 

As I said....
523 × 549 - picturenose.com   

Feb 12th 2013, 22:51
Hide Post  Hide Post  
online24Emmy
Hi 24Emmy,

24Emmy

Total Topics: 176, Posts: 5,070
View Predictions
Quote by Scottferguson

Cynthia Swartz

I'm sure they'll make a Harvey Weinstein biopic. Someone on here in a different thread suggested John Goodman for the role.

"Thank you. Oh man. This might be the one time I'm speechless." -- Robin Williams (RIP)

Feb 12th 2013, 23:16
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

View Predictions
Anyone who actually believes that a guy like Harvey Weinstein is a dime a dozen and a clone of his forefathers is likely liviing in relative poverty. The man, is an 'evil' genius and businessman extraordinaire.

Btw, that pic I posted is an early, Cronenberg classic with Samantha Eggar producing 'spawn' asexually (Cronenberg was going through a bitter, acrimonious divorce at the time) to do her bidding and carry on after her. On that, I'd have to agree. 

Feb 13th 2013, 02:21
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineMacbeth
Hi Macbeth ,

Macbeth

Total Topics: 176, Posts: 1,907
View Predictions
I honestly think that when Harvey isn't in the business any longer, there will be another powerful producer
my blog: www.moviesunchained.wordpress.com

Feb 13th 2013, 05:45
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineA Person
Hi A Person,

A Person

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 1,556
View Predictions
Quote by PJ_Edwards
It will probably be like the much of the precursors this year: With the big studios dominating everything. 

No.  One of his proteges will just take over for him at TWC, and Sony Pictures Classics and Fox Searchlight will still be major players. 
Feb 13th 2013, 07:42
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineKT
Hi KT,

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,605
View Predictions
I think the clearest view we have of the business without Harvey are the years after he left Miramax and before The King's Speech Best Picture win marked the rise of the Weinstein Company.  In those years, some films that would have never ever won Best Picture won because there was no populist alternative: The Departed, No Country for Old Men, The Hurt Locker (though Harvey did have a pony in that race and the year before with The Reader, his company wasn't as strong as they are now to push them through to wins).  Then, with The King's Speech and The Artist, we see the return of typical, Oscar bait/ephemeral flair.  Maybe without Harvey in the game more difficult and challenging films can win the top award?  Or maybe what we really need is a non-preferential system?
Feb 13th 2013, 10:17
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTom O'Neil
Hi Tom O'Neil,

Tom O'Neil

Total Topics: 568, Posts: 1,132
View Predictions
Harvey's a vampire. (Don't blame him that he doesn't look like Rob Pattinson.) You can't kill vampires.
star bette