Notification Tool : Pete Hammond & Steve Pond dump Jennifer Lawrence for Emmanuelle Riva
Follow what's new with:
Pete Hammond & Steve Pond dump Jennifer Lawrence for Emmanuelle Riva
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 13th 2013, 22:39

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTom O'Neil
Hi Tom O'Neil,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Tom O'Neil

Total Topics: 588, Posts: 1,182
View Predictions
have you caught up with the latest Oscars predictions by our top experts? Here's our report:

http://tinyurl.com/d9ujkdj

Feb 13th 2013, 22:49

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJunk
Hi Junk,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 4, Posts: 1,322
View Predictions
Holla! Keep them votes coming for Riva!
Feb 13th 2013, 23:40

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBennyTarleton
Hi BennyTarleton,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 256
View Predictions
Riva is taking more votes from Chastain than Lawrence........Hollywood is the ''dream factory '' , not the factory of grim existential despair  ........choose dark, bleak, pessimism over sunny optimism  ?...naah !

They aint going to ignore a lighthearted comedy showcased by a young , talented , glamorous actress   and give the Oscar to an old lady acting the role of a dying old woman ....I mean , it's gruesome .....AMOUR is a movie that I would NEVER  care to see again

Haneke's previous movie , the WHITE RIBBON , was far superior to Amour , and coincidentally , well worth watching again

We humans are often fascinated and intrigued by death , maybe this could be the beginning of the ''death cult of Riva '' ?

PS/   Riva and Amour are being honoured in the best foreign film .... surely , that should be sufficient     
Feb 14th 2013, 00:10

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinematt
Hi matt,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 1
View Predictions
There is always crab mentality thats why people with such minded person fascinated intrigues
Feb 14th 2013, 00:55

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBennyTarleton
Hi BennyTarleton,

View Predictions
In a broader philosophical sense , looking through a wide angle historical lens , this fascination with a dying old woman , nay , even the beginnings of a ''death cult '' in embryonic form ,  is not unusual among the secular minded

In fact , those of us familiar with the ''cults of the dead'' of antiquity will recognise it in it's post modern form ...it is infact the natural bleak , depressive , even obsessive, fascination with death that naturally comes from the lack of optimism ...rather like the natural darkness that comes from the lack of light and is becoming rather typical of the zeitgeist in  the Western World ...but is it life imitating art or art imitating life ? 

'' Always look on the bright side of life '' ! .....even when you're going to be crucified ...things are never quite as bad as they seem !
Feb 14th 2013, 05:15

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineNoirJo
Hi NoirJo,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 55
View Predictions
Why did Swank won for 'Boys Don't Cry' and 'Million Dollar Baby' then? Both films had a very bleak and tragic ending. The latter is about euthanasia, actually, and won Best Picture (similar to 'Amour', don't you think?). Also, 'The Hours', 'La Vie en Rose', 'Monster', 'The Reader' and 'Black Swan' had tragedy in their ending, yet these actresses won the Oscar.

I still think that Lawrence vs. Riva is the most unpredictable, unexpected and tightest Oscar race this year.

And I don't think the majority of the Academy members (who are over 50-60 years old) will not emotionally connect with Riva's extremely touching and heartbreaking performance in 'Amour' (this could have been their wives or husbands; that's how realistic this performance is). Add to this the fact that the Oscars are on the date of her birthday and her being the oldest Oscar nominee ever. I think that they could very well go for her.
Lawrence has Weinstein and the 'babe' factor, but I can definitely see Riva winning here. 
Feb 14th 2013, 05:36

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 7,558
View Predictions
Yeah, most of the actresses who win in Lead come from depressing, bleak films. I did not get that point.
Feb 14th 2013, 06:00

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMrs. Doolittle
Hi Mrs. Doolittle,

Mrs. Doolittle

Total Topics: 18, Posts: 787
View Predictions
Why dump one for the other? I still think there'll will be a tie between both ladies.
MERYL STREEP + JUDI DENCH + CATE BLANCHETT = PERFECTION!
Feb 14th 2013, 06:10

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 846
View Predictions
Quote by BennyTarleton
Riva is taking more votes from Chastain than Lawrence........Hollywood is the ''dream factory '' , not the factory of grim existential despair  ........choose dark, bleak, pessimism over sunny optimism  ?...naah !

They aint going to ignore a lighthearted comedy showcased by a young , talented , glamorous actress   and give the Oscar to an old lady acting the role of a dying old woman ....I mean , it's gruesome .....AMOUR is a movie that I would NEVER  care to see again

Haneke's previous movie , the WHITE RIBBON , was far superior to Amour , and coincidentally , well worth watching again

We humans are often fascinated and intrigued by death , maybe this could be the beginning of the ''death cult of Riva '' ?

PS/   Riva and Amour are being honoured in the best foreign film .... surely , that should be sufficient     

Watch Vittorio De Sica's Two Women. Sophia Loren won the Oscar for that heartwarming little farce. That win makes the argument for the Academy awarding both a foreign language film in an acting category and a film that is emotionally wrought. I'm officially joining the Riva bandwagon. 
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Feb 14th 2013, 07:25

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBennyTarleton
Hi BennyTarleton,

View Predictions
Quote by NoirJo
Why did Swank won for 'Boys Don't Cry' and 'Million Dollar Baby' then? Both films had a very bleak and tragic ending. The latter is about euthanasia, actually, and won Best Picture (similar to 'Amour', don't you think?). Also, 'The Hours', 'La Vie en Rose', 'Monster', 'The Reader' and 'Black Swan' had tragedy in their ending, yet these actresses won the Oscar.

I still think that Lawrence vs. Riva is the most unpredictable, unexpected and tightest Oscar race this year.

And I don't think the majority of the Academy members (who are over 50-60 years old) will not emotionally connect with Riva's extremely touching and heartbreaking performance in 'Amour' (this could have been their wives or husbands; that's how realistic this performance is). Add to this the fact that the Oscars are on the date of her birthday and her being the oldest Oscar nominee ever. I think that they could very well go for her.
Lawrence has Weinstein and the 'babe' factor, but I can definitely see Riva winning here. 

===============================

Other movies , as you say , had tragic endings , but the movies were not one looong death scene ....million dollar baby was obliquely about euthenasia, but it also had an excellent story to it 

Amour can be summed up in one short sentance..... '' old man puts his dying wife out of her misery ''  ...THERE ! ..hows that for a spoiler ? ...it's like a documentary that you must endure for over 2 hours ...I ,for one,  came out of the theatre  dazed and reeling and I noticed some old women sat there ...only God knows how they felt

As far as the over 50-60s voters being able to identify with it ?..sure they can , especially in liberal , secular Hollywood , but the place to reward the movie will be in Best foreign film  catagory , or even Director/screen play

And furthermore, how many folks in the US have even heard of this movie or would EVEN like to go see it ?...come , grab a front seat and watch old granny die ...jeeeez...it's a hard fact of life , but who would need to be reminded of it         
Feb 14th 2013, 07:33

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineS†ardust
Hi S†ardust,

S†ardust

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,396
View Predictions
Quote by NoirJo
Why did Swank won for 'Boys Don't Cry' and 'Million Dollar Baby' then? Also, 'The Hours', 'La Vie en Rose', 'Monster', 'The Reader' and 'Black Swan' had tragedy in their ending, yet these actresses won the Oscar.

And what do those actresses have in common?

It really comes down to whether they want to go the respectable route or the sensational route; whether the majority votes for what they connected and empathized with more (or simply respected) or what they were impressed with and felt good about more (having a likeness for the actress also factoring in).

Feb 14th 2013, 07:39

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGuest2014
Hi Guest2014,

Guest2014

Total Topics: 92, Posts: 1,924
View Predictions
*sigh*  looks like 2 more critics have bellied up to the Emmanuelle Riva Special Kool-Aid Kiosk,as I call it.  I think the Oscars should be scheduled before the BAFTAs, like they were a few years ago.  Too much influence from that outfit...
Feb 14th 2013, 07:44

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJunk
Hi Junk,

Total Topics: 4, Posts: 1,322
View Predictions
Quote by BennyTarleton
Quote by NoirJo

===============================

Other movies , as you say , had tragic endings , but the movies were not one looong death scene ....million dollar baby was obliquely about euthenasia, but it also had an excellent story to it 

Amour can be summed up in one short sentance..... '' old man puts his dying wife out of her misery ''  ...THERE ! ..hows that for a spoiler ? ...it's like a documentary that you must endure for over 2 hours ...I ,for one,  came out of the theatre  dazed and reeling and I noticed some old women sat there ...only God knows how they felt

As far as the over 50-60s voters being able to identify with it ?..sure they can , especially in liberal , secular Hollywood , but the place to reward the movie will be in Best foreign film  catagory , or even Director/screen play

And furthermore, how many folks in the US have even heard of this movie or would EVEN like to go see it ?...come , grab a front seat and watch old granny die ...jeeeez...it's a hard fact of life , but who would need to be reminded of it         

I'm gonna laugh at you so hard if Riva wins, just for the pure fun of it. 
Feb 14th 2013, 07:52

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBennyTarleton
Hi BennyTarleton,

View Predictions
The EMANUAELLE RIVA COOL AID KIOSK ....that's a good one !

Amour is just a typical dark , grim  movie that pessimistic Euro-folk would be obsessed with ....however, it doesn't translate well into the sunny optimism of the US  ...on the other hand ,Hollyoood is in many ways more typical of Europe than mainstream America   
Feb 14th 2013, 08:03

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBennyTarleton
Hi BennyTarleton,

View Predictions

JUNK ...well go ahead and laugh ....if Riva wins I'll lose all my money , but that's a risk I'll take ....the RIVA death train will run out of steam before the finish line...but  IF it doesn't,  I'll be in more misery than she was in the movie 

So go ahead and laugh , but the gunshot you will hear could  be me putting myself out of misery ....jeeez ...''life immitating art ''?    HAHAHAHA