Notification Tool : Featured Artists - When do they also get an award, when do they not?
Follow what's new with:
Featured Artists - When do they also get an award, when do they not?
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 18th 2013, 10:38

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJohnJohn
Hi JohnJohn,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 3
View Predictions
I'm confused on how the llst of winners is determined.  I think it is pretty straight forward on "Best Record" winners but is more confusing on Album winners.   For example, Whitney Houston sang about half of the songs on The Bodyguard soundtrack but she is the onlly artist winner.   But all of the performers on the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" are listed as winners on the Grammy website.   

Billboard is also reporting that Taylor Hicks won a Grammy as a featured artist on Jimmy Fallon's Comedy album.   The Grammy websit doesn't list the winners yet in their previous winners search.   If so I believe he would be the first male American Idol Grammy winner.

Feb 18th 2013, 11:39

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTV12
Hi TV12,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

TV12

Total Topics: 54, Posts: 1,972
View Predictions
AOTY, ROTY, Pop & Country Duo/Group Performance, Rap Performance, Rap/Sung Collab, R&B Performance, Traditional R&B Performance, Rock Performance, Hard Rock/Metal Performance.

Featured artists who sing only harmony vocals are not eligible for Solo performance awards, a la "Half of My Heart" by John Mayer (feat. Taylor Swift). Genre album winners include majority artist(s) and majority producer(s). Song awards, of course, only award songwriters.

And the artists that appeared on Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack only won Grammys for their AOTY win, not in the Genre album categories. However, Whitney won when Genre album categories did not exist and therefore she was recgnized as the majority artist, as if it was a Genre album category. So if The Bodyguard Soundtrack won the Grammy award this year for Best Pop Vocal Album would've gone to Whitney and Clive Davis, Jazz Summers, and Tim Parry. However, the AOTY Grammy would've gone to all of the performers on the album and all of the E.P.'s and producers.

...or nah?

Feb 20th 2013, 22:03

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJohnJohn
Hi JohnJohn,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 3
View Predictions
Thank you for the thorough explanation
Feb 21st 2013, 16:22

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinefigure8
Hi figure8,

figure8

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 533
View Predictions
So say for Skrillex's Bangerang album win, would the likes of Ellie Goulding and Sirah who featured not get a grammy? Ellie Gouldings wiki says otherwise but its obviously not reliable. 
Feb 21st 2013, 18:04

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinecelebcafesam
Hi celebcafesam,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 1
View Predictions
What do you think are the Top 10 Grammy performances of all time? We made a list; tell us if you agree or disagree: http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2013/02/top-10-grammy-performances
Feb 23rd 2013, 16:23

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTonyKuKo
Hi TonyKuKo,

TonyKuKo

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 345
View Predictions
Quote by halcyon94
So say for Skrillex's Bangerang album win, would the likes of Ellie Goulding and Sirah who featured not get a grammy? Ellie Gouldings wiki says otherwise but its obviously not reliable. 

NO.. she didn't (and Taylor Hicks either).... Featured artists only get the AoTY award (and that's been since 2001) like tuckery said

- In genre categories ONLY the (main) performing artist gets the award AND If a compilation album wins, only the producer(s) receive the award.

- Soundtracks are not elegible in genre categories... They are only elegible in the Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Visual Media and in that particular category ONLY the producer(s) get the award.

Both Billboard and Wikipedia are wrong
Visit and follow my blog: thegramophonereporter.wordpress.com/
Feb 24th 2013, 05:58

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJOSE
Hi JOSE,

Total Topics: 3, Posts: 980
View Predictions
Quote by TonyKuko
Quote by halcyon94

NO.. she didn't (and Taylor Hicks either).... Featured artists only get the AoTY award (and that's been since 2001) like tuckery said

- In genre categories ONLY the (main) performing artist gets the award AND If a compilation album wins, only the producer(s) receive the award.

- Soundtracks are not elegible in genre categories... They are only elegible in the Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Visual Media and in that particular category ONLY the producer(s) get the award.

Both Billboard and Wikipedia are wrong

Concert for Bangladesh in 1972, all the performers got the grammy. It was George Harrison´s album.

For me one of the worst cases is with "We are the World". The only winners were  Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones in best Pop Group performance. I think it is unfair and all the artist should have got the grammy.

JOSE

Feb 24th 2013, 08:17

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTonyKuKo
Hi TonyKuKo,

TonyKuKo

View Predictions
The Conert for Bangladesh is credited to George Harrison & FRIENDS (the Friends being Ravi Shankar, Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton and Billy Preston) most of them made solo performances in that album as well... We are talking here about featured artists appearing in a single track of an album for example Fun with Janelle Monae on "We Are Young" in Some Nights. In this case, had fun. win AoTY and Pop Album... Janelle Monae would have only gotten the first award

In "We Are the World" the award is credited to USA For Africa... I think we have to check the Grammy database to see which artists received the award under the name of "USA for Africa"
Feb 24th 2013, 08:25

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTonyKuKo
Hi TonyKuKo,

TonyKuKo

View Predictions
I'm going to give you a recent examplee

In 2000 Santana (the band) won AoTY for Supernatural along the producers of the album. None of the featured artists (i.e. Rob Thomas, Everlast, Dave Matthews, Lauryn Hill, etc) got the award BUT after the rule change in 2001 (if I'm not mistaken) featured artists began to be nominated and to receive the award that was why in 2008 when Herbie Hancock won for River: The Joni Letters featured artists Norah Jones, Joni Mitchell, Corinne Baily-Rae etc received this award. Same thing with Colbie Caillat who received the award in 2010 for collaborating with Taylor Swift on Fearless.