Notification Tool : One of Sean Penn's Oscars should have gone to ... instead
Follow what's new with:
One of Sean Penn's Oscars should have gone to ... instead
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

One of Sean Penn's Oscars should have gone to ... instead
Johnny Depp, "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" (2003)
Ben Kingsley, "House of Sand and Fog" (2003)
Jude Law, "Cold Mountain" (2003)
Bill Murray, "Lost in Translation" (2003)
Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor" (2008)
Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon" (2008)
Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008)
Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler" (2008)
Nobody. Penn deserved both of his wins for "Mystic River" (2003) and "Milk" (2008)
Please login to vote!
Feb 19th 2013, 20:57
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDaniel B.
Hi Daniel B.,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Daniel B.

Total Topics: 116, Posts: 1,058
View Predictions
Sean Penn is currently tied for the record for the most wins in the Lead Actor category at the Oscars, with two (for Mystic River in 2003 and Milk in 2008).

Do you think he deserved both of the Oscars he won, or do you think another one of the nominees he was up against deserved it more?
Congratulations to HARRY SHEARER on your first Emmy win! As arguably the most versatile cast member of The Simpsons, your win was truly long overdue.
Feb 19th 2013, 20:59
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDaniel B.
Hi Daniel B.,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Daniel B.

Total Topics: 116, Posts: 1,058
View Predictions
I think Sean Penn is a great actor, but I personally think he didn't deserve the win either years he took home the trophy.  I would have given Johnny Depp the Oscar in 2003, and Mickey Rourke in 2008. But if I had to choose just one, I would go with Mickey Rourke.

With that in mind, I do believe Penn should have an Oscar on his mantle, but for Dead Man Walking (1995), not Mystic River or Milk.
Congratulations to HARRY SHEARER on your first Emmy win! As arguably the most versatile cast member of The Simpsons, your win was truly long overdue.
Feb 19th 2013, 23:34
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMalickFanboy
Hi MalickFanboy,

MalickFanboy

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 1,960
View Predictions
How Mickey Rourke lost is just beyond me. So he's my choice. But a really good case could also be made for Ben Kingsley, Johnny Depp and Bill Murray.

"желаnță cледгеvasara hамайг. моја občutki су као поклон сам морао да от."
Feb 20th 2013, 03:52
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBaby Clyde
Hi Baby Clyde,

Baby Clyde

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 958
View Predictions
Sean Penn gets to keep his Oscars.

Easily the best both years.
Feb 20th 2013, 05:44
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 845
View Predictions
I'm gonna have to say nobody here. I really like Bill Murray. Who doesn't, right? But I can't honestly say his performance in LIT was better than Penn's in MR. It was close, but not close enough. I sure do hope Murray gets an Oscar someday! As for 2008, Penn was far-and-away the Best Actor for MILK!
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Feb 20th 2013, 06:19
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineAnthony
Hi Anthony,

Anthony

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 602
View Predictions

At the time, I supported Sean Penn's win for Mystic River and also felt that there was a chance he wouldn't be back in contention again....but then as the next few years rolled on, I went back to revisit Mystic River and found it to be overwrought and it didn't hold up for me. Frankly, I think Penn should've been nominated for 21 GRAMS that year.

I voted for Bill Murray, who gave such a sweet subtle performance that was remarkably believable considering he is usually known for playing brash and more snide characters....plus, it helps that Lost in Translation holds up strongly and it is also a great opportunity to recognize him for a great performance along with it being almost like a veteran award. Ben Kingsley was also quite good that year, as was Johnny Depp.

As for 2008, Mickey Rourke was nipping at his heels but he deserved it for MILK, which is still my favorite performance of his. The compassion in his performance was lovely and I also adored the film. 

Going back to 1995, Sean Penn would be an extremely close second to Nicholas Cage for my vote (I haven't seen either film in some time though) and then 2001, he was not in the same league as Tom Wilkinson.

Feb 20th 2013, 06:45
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineallabout oscars
Hi allabout oscars,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,396
I think ben Kingsley's performance in THE HOUSE OF
SAND AND FOG  was easily the best of that year....Penn
was very good but not my choice.

He most deservedly won his MILK  oscar...
Feb 20th 2013, 10:01
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

Miss Frost

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 4,407
View Predictions
Horrible winner in 2003, definitely should've gone to BILL MURRAY.
Fine winner though in 2008, though my choice would've been MICKEY ROURKE.
Feb 20th 2013, 10:03
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 845
View Predictions
On the subject of Bill Murray love, I actually think he should have won for his Supporting Role in 1998 for Rushmore, but the stupid damn Academy didn't bother to nominate him.
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Feb 20th 2013, 21:20
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMadsonMelo
Hi MadsonMelo,

Total Topics: 15, Posts: 2,307
View Predictions
In 2003 case I think Kingsley was underrated and Murray was overrated (even if I think he was great in LIT)
Feb 21st 2013, 14:20
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinemsnowden1
Hi msnowden1,

msnowden1

Total Topics: 115, Posts: 2,899
View Predictions
I think that Penn deserved the Oscar in 2003 for Mystic River. However, he did not deserve the Oscar in 2008. Mickey Rourke should have easily won that year, IMO.
"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong."- Robin Williams