Follow what's new with:
Best Actress 1962
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Best Actress 1962
Anne Bancroft - The Miracle Worker
Bette Davis - What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Katharine Hepburn - Long Day's Journey into Night
Geraldine Page - Sweet Bird of Youth
Lee Remick - Days of Wine and Roses
Please login to vote!
Feb 20th 2013, 10:06
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineGreg A.
Hi Greg A.,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Greg A.

Total Topics: 82, Posts: 216
View Predictions
Stellar line-up.
Feb 20th 2013, 10:26
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinetonorlo
Hi tonorlo,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,158
View Predictions
1. Hepburn. Takes one of the most notoriously difficult playwrights of the twentieth century to the mat, abdicates the role of movie star for that of an earnest actor, and gives perhaps her most indelibly haunted performance.

2. Davis. Admittedly, a bit of a love-hate relationship for me with this performance. One day, I see the vulnerable artistry Davis weaves into the performance; other days, all I can see is its bombastic grotesquerie.

3. Bancroft. Not so much a case of socking it between the eyes as much as it is canny calibration throughout the performance.... Lets just enough out without ever going for blatantly obvious effects. Laudable.

4. Page. Luckily, you can be overripe with Tennessee Williams and get away with it... But for all of Page's percolating theatricality, she does manage a poignant underline to the character that a lesser woman would have lost.

5. Remick. Tries so hard, and is often commendable for the trying... But it's very tough to steal a movie from Jack Lemmon, although Remick gives a surprisingly sturdy account of herself in the attempt.   

Feb 20th 2013, 11:53
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJayDF
Hi JayDF,

JayDF

Total Topics: 31, Posts: 900
View Predictions
Great lineup with only Remick not quite reaching the level of the other ladies, but very good nonetheless.  I can easily go for any of my top three for the win, but will stay with the oscar's choice as Bancroft is my favorite actress ever and she is sublime.

1. Bancroft
2. Davis
3. Hepburn
4. Page
5. Remick 
Feb 20th 2013, 15:05
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBaby Clyde
Hi Baby Clyde,

Baby Clyde

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 947
View Predictions
One of the best lineups ever. Shamefully I've never seen Hepburn (Despite owning the DVD). 
Feb 20th 2013, 15:35
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineAnthony
Hi Anthony,

Anthony

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 584
View Predictions
What a great lineup. Honestly any of these women (except maybe Remick) were worthy enough to win......but in the end, I will give it to Katharine Hepburn, whose work in this film (along with Alice Adams and The Lion in Winter) is my favorite performance of hers ever. It also doesn't hurt that she plays one of the best characters ever written for the stage by one of the best writers to have ever lived. If forced to rank them, my list as of today would be:

#1-Katharine Hepburn
#2-Anne Bancroft
#3-Bette Davis
#4-Geraldine Page
#5-Lee Remick      
Feb 21st 2013, 06:04
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMadsonMelo
Hi MadsonMelo,

Total Topics: 15, Posts: 2,294
View Predictions
It's the best performance of Katharine Hepburn, she should've won.
Feb 21st 2013, 12:06
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLaactingnyc
Hi Laactingnyc ,

Laactingnyc

Total Topics: 90, Posts: 3,402
View Predictions
By far Bette Davis. One of the best performances of all time!
For your Emmy Consideration

Drama Series ~ Game of Thrones

Comedy Series ~ Veep  
Feb 22nd 2013, 04:22
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineemmyfan
Hi emmyfan,

emmyfan

Total Topics: 26, Posts: 1,073
View Predictions
Quote by tonorlo
1. Hepburn. Takes one of the most notoriously difficult playwrights of the twentieth century to the mat, abdicates the role of movie star for that of an earnest actor, and gives perhaps her most indelibly haunted performance.

2. Davis. Admittedly, a bit of a love-hate relationship for me with this performance. One day, I see the vulnerable artistry Davis weaves into the performance; other days, all I can see is its bombastic grotesquerie.

3. Bancroft. Not so much a case of socking it between the eyes as much as it is canny calibration throughout the performance.... Lets just enough out without ever going for blatantly obvious effects. Laudable.

4. Page. Luckily, you can be overripe with Tennessee Williams and get away with it... But for all of Page's percolating theatricality, she does manage a poignant underline to the character that a lesser woman would have lost.

5. Remick. Tries so hard, and is often commendable for the trying... But it's very tough to steal a movie from Jack Lemmon, although Remick gives a surprisingly sturdy account of herself in the attempt.   

I would agree with the above rankings.