Notification Tool : Besides Sophie's Choice, what is Meryl's strongest lead performance?
Follow what's new with:
Besides Sophie's Choice, what is Meryl's strongest lead performance?
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Besides Sophie's Choice, what is Meryl's strongest lead performance?
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Silkwood
Out of Africa
Ironweed
A Cry in the Dark
The Bridges of Madison County
Doubt
Julie & Julia
The Iron Lady
Other (please specify)
Please login to vote!
Feb 20th 2013, 10:38

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGreg A.
Hi Greg A.,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Greg A.

Total Topics: 82, Posts: 223
View Predictions
Personally, I'm leaning Silkwood.
Feb 20th 2013, 11:00

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

unsunganthem

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 846
View Predictions
I said Other. It was a mini-series, not a theatrical release, but her Emmy-winning lead role in "Angels in America" was utterly astonishing. Meryl as a wise-cracking octogenarian rabbi, a stern Mormon matriarch, the Angel of Australia, and Ethel Rosenberg? Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Feb 20th 2013, 11:06

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGreg A.
Hi Greg A.,

Greg A.

View Predictions
Most definitely agree. Own it, love it.
Feb 20th 2013, 11:11

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

View Predictions
Own it, love it, try to re-watch it once a year.
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Feb 20th 2013, 11:38

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMiss Frost
Hi Miss Frost,

Miss Frost

Total Topics: 52, Posts: 4,406
View Predictions
Cry In the Dark hands down.
Feb 20th 2013, 13:55

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJayDF
Hi JayDF,

JayDF

Total Topics: 32, Posts: 943
View Predictions
I voted A CRY IN THE DARK but could have just as easily voted for IRONWEED.  Never understand those that say this was a filler nomination as she was nothing but sublime in that film...I'd rank those two and several others above SOPHIE'S CHOICE any day.
Feb 20th 2013, 14:17

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinepacinofan
Hi pacinofan,

Total Topics: 4, Posts: 1,388
View Predictions
I believe "A Cry in the Dark" is her best performance of all. It is even better than "Sophie's Choice".
Feb 20th 2013, 15:11

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineAnthony
Hi Anthony,

Anthony

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 628
View Predictions
No contest for me. A CRY IN THE DARK does rank as my second favorite performance of hers behind SOPHIE'S CHOICE....I do think very highly of ANGELS IN AMERICA as well.
Feb 20th 2013, 17:18

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinemsnowden1
Hi msnowden1,

msnowden1

Total Topics: 118, Posts: 2,972
View Predictions
A Cry in the Dark is her best performance besides Sophie's Choice. 
"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong."- Robin Williams
Feb 20th 2013, 18:40

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineKT
Hi KT,

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,664
View Predictions
I really enjoyed Meryl in The Hours.  I thought it was a really strong performance, and she more than the other two lead actors, was the heart and glue of the film.  I like when she steps away from the accents and voices and makeup, which is in many ways more challenging for her as an actor.  Following this vein, she is stunningly good in Kramer vs. Kramer.  Interesting many of you have mentioned A Cry in the Dark.  While I appreciated her performance, the movie itself didn't do much for me.  That's the thing about her career, she consistently does great work---undeniable---but I don't know if she has ever been in a truly great, masterpiece-caliber film.  Maybe The Deer Hunter?  I found myself surprised when I go through her films how many of them do not stand out to me.  I would absolutely LOVE to see her give a career-capping performance in great film (and I don't think August: Osage County will be that), but I'm honestly not sure she seeks that kind of material helmed by significant auteur directors.  

In just a few years on the scene, it's tremendous that Jessica Chastain could already amass Tree of Life and Zero Dark Thirty, with two superlative filmmakers in Terence Malick and Kathryn Bigelow.  I want to see Meryl work with a GREAT director (and no more hammy imitations please).
Feb 20th 2013, 19:38

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineemmyfan
Hi emmyfan,

emmyfan

Total Topics: 26, Posts: 1,116
View Predictions
Do you think that Meryl should have been nominated for supporting Actress for Ironweed?
Feb 21st 2013, 09:32

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRobertoTerra
Hi RobertoTerra,

Total Topics: 29, Posts: 901
View Predictions
That's the thing about her career, she consistently does great work---undeniable---but I don't know if she has ever been in a truely great, masterpiece-caliber film.  Maybe The Deer Hunter?  I found myself surprised when I go through her films how many of them do not stand out to me.

You're right. I made some research, and these are the other nominations Streep's movies received besides her own nom:

Best Picture: 3 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Out of Africa)
Best Director: 4 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Silkwood, Out of Africa)
Best Actor: 4 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Ironweed, Adaptation)
Best Supporting Actor: 5 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Out of Africa, Adaptation, Doubt)
Best Supporting Actress: 4 (Kramer vs. Kramer, Silkwood, Doubt x 2)
Best Original Screenplay: 2 (The Deer Hunter, Silkwood)
Best Adapted Screenplay: 6 (Kramer vs. Kramer, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Sophie's Choice, Out of Africa, Adaptation, Doubt)
Best Cinematography: 4 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie's Choice, Out of Africa)
Best Editing: 5 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Silkwood, Out of Africa)
Best Sound: 2 (The Deer Hunter, Out of Africa)
Best Art Direction: 2 (The French Lieutenant's Woman, Out of Africa)
Best Costume Design: 3 (The French Lieutenant's Woman, Out of Africa, The Devil Wears Prada)
Best Original Score: 2 (Sophie's Choice, Out of Africa)
Best Makeup: 1 (The Iron Lady)
Original Song: 2 (Postcards from the Edge, Music of the Heart) 
No other nomination but Streep's: 4 (A Cry in the Dark, The Bridges of Madison County, One True Thing, Julie and Julia) 

Number of nominations (excluding Streep's):
Out of Africa - 10
The Deer Hunter - 8
Kramer vs. Kramer - 8
The French Lieutenant's Woman - 4
Sophie's Choice - 4
Silkwood - 4 
Doubt - 4
Adaptation - 3
Ironweed - 1
Postcard from the Edge - 1
Music of the Heart - 1
The Devil Wears Prada - 1
The Iron Lady - 1
A Cry in the Dark - 0 
The Bridges of Madison County - 0
One True Thing - 0 
Julie and Julia - 0

When it comes to actual wins, these are the numbers: 

Best Picture: 3 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Out of Africa)
Best Director: 3 (The Deer Hunter, Kramer vs. Kramer, Out of Africa)
Best Actor: 1 (Kramer vs. Kramer)
Best Supporting Actor: 2 (The Deer Hunter, Adaptation)
Best Adapted Screenplay: 2 (Kramer vs. Kramer, Out of Africa)
Best Cinematography: 1 (Out of Africa)
Best Editing: 1 (The Deer Hunter)
Best Sound: 2 (The Deer Hunter, Out of Africa)
Best Art Direction: 1 (Out of Africa)
Best Original Score: 1 (Out of Africa)
Best Makeup: 1 (The Iron Lady)
No other win but Streep's: 1 (Sophie's Choice) 

Number of wins (excluding Streep's):
Out of Africa - 7
The Deer Hunter - 5
Kramer vs. Kramer - 4
Adaptation - 1
The Iron Lady - 1
The French Lieutenant's Woman - 0
Sophie's Choice - 0
Silkwood - 0
Ironweed - 0
A Cry in the Dark - 0 
Postcards from the Edge - 0
The Bridges of Madison County - 0
One True Thing - 0 
Music of the Heart - 0
The Devil Wears Prada - 0
Doubt - 0
Julie and Julia - 0

As for the critical reception, here are the numbers (Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes):

The Deer Hunter - 73/92
Kramer vs. Kramer - 77/86
The French Lieutenant's Woman - ?/80
Sophie's Choice - 67/81
Silkwood - 64/70
Out of Africa - ?/57
Ironweed - ?/65
A Cry in the Dark - ?/92 
Postcards from the Edge - 71/90
The Bridges of Madison County - 66/90
One True Thing - 63/89
Music of the Heart - 54/63
Adaptation - 83/91
The Devil Wears Prada - 62/76
Doubt - 68/78
Julie and Julia - 66/75 
The Iron Lady - 54/53

On the other hand, these are the other nominations Streep's movies received, while herself was not nominated:

Best Picture: 2 (Julia, The Hours)
Best Director: 2 (Julia, The Hours)
Best Actress: 3 (Julia, Marvin's Room, The Hours)
Best Supporting Actor: 3 (Julia x 2, The Hours)
Best Supporting Actress: 3 (Julia, Manhattan, The Hours)
Best Original Screenplay: 1 (Manhattan)
Best Adapted Screenplay: 2 (Julia, The Hours)
Best Cinematography: 1 (Julia)
Best Editing: 2 (Julia, The Hours)
Best Art Direction: 1 (Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)
Best Costume Design: 3 (Julia, The Hours, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)
Best Original Score: 4 (Julia, A. I. Artificial Inteligence, The Hours, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)
Best Visual Effects: 3 (Death Becomes Her, A. I. Artificial Inteligence, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)
Best Makeup: 1 (Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)
Best Animated Feature: 1 (Fantastic Mr. Fox)

Number of nominations:
Julia - 11
The Hours - 9
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 4
Manhattan - 2
A. I. Artificial Inteligence - 2
Death Becomes Her - 1
Marvin's Room - 1
Fantastic Mr. Fox - 1

When it comes to actual wins, these are the numbers: 

Best Actress: 1 (The Hours)
Best Supporting Actor: 1 (Julia)
Best Supporting Actress: 1 (Julia)
Best Adapted Screenplay: 1 (Julia)
Best Visual Effects: 1 (Death Becomes Her)
Best Makeup: 1 (Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events)

Number of wins:
Julia - 3
The Hours - 1
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 1
Death Becomes Her - 1

As for the critical reception, here are the numbers (Metacritic/Rotten Tomatoes):

Julia - ?/74
Manhattan - 82/98
Death Becomes Her - ?/43
Marvin's Room - 68/81
A. I. Artificial Inteligence - ?/73
The Hours - 81/81
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - 62/72
Fantastic Mr. Fox - 83/93

In conclusion, as of 2013:
- Mrs. Streep's Oscar-nominated movies range from 1977 (Julia), until 2011 (The Iron Lady).
- She has starred in five Best Picture nominees, ranging form 1977 (Julia), until 2002 (The Hours).
- Out of these five, three won Best Picture, from 1978 (The Deer Hunter) until 1985 (Out of Africa).
- The last time Streep was nominated from a Best Picture nominee was in 1985 (Out of Africa), 28 years ago. The same goes for Best Director nominees.
- The last time Streep starred in a Best Picture nominee was in 2002 (The Hours), 11 years ago. The same goes for Best Director nominees.
- The last time a Streep movie was nominated for a major award (Picture, Director, Acting or Screenplay) was in 2008 (Doubt). 
- The last time a Streep movie won a major award (Picture, Director, Acting or Screenplay) was in 2002 (Adaptation and The Hours), however she was not nominated for The Hours.
- Streep was nominated twice in the 70's, six times in the 80's, four time in the 90's, four times in the 2000's and once in the 2010's.
- Five Streep movies earned more than five Oscar nominations. She was nominated for three of them.
- Four out of these five range from 1977 until 1985.
- No Streep movie was nominated for a major award in the 90's (only two Best Song nominations besides Streep's noms). 
- Meryl Streep never worked with top directors: Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, David Fincher, the Coen brothers, James Cameron, Ang Lee, Darren Aronofsky among others.

What do you think of this? 
Don't read this.

What did I tell you?! 
Feb 21st 2013, 09:49

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGreg A.
Hi Greg A.,

Greg A.

View Predictions
Wow, quite impressive. She is usually the main course of films she is in, especially as of late. The films themselves are usually centered around her performance, rather than the actual motion picture.
Feb 21st 2013, 09:59

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

View Predictions
Quote by oscarboy94
Wow, quite impressive. She is usually the main course of films she is in, especially as of late. The films themselves are usually centered around her performance, rather than the actual motion picture.

^
And this is an important point to remember. She tends to make a film better than it might otherwise have been if someone else was in it. It's a matter of selecting a role and not a film. She wants to challenge herself; not necessarily be in the "greatest film of the year" type of movie, IMO. 

P.S. Mad props to Roberto for all the awesome stats. 
Feb 21st 2013, 10:09

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRobertoTerra
Hi RobertoTerra,

Total Topics: 29, Posts: 901
View Predictions
Quote by oscarboy94

That's exactly the issue... In most of her movies, especially the most recent ones, her character is always more important then the story itself, which means you could put her character in another story and still it would always be about her, not the story.

Quote by unsunganthem
It's a matter of selecting a role and not a film. She wants to challenge herself; not necessarily be in the "greatest film of the year" type of movie, IMO. 

Exactly, she's just that kind of actress, that prefers a great role, rather than a great movie (not that her movies are bad). And as an actor myself, I can't blame her Laughing

Quote by unsunganthem

Thanks, I enjoy doing these kind of trivia researchs Tongue out But I made a mistake, saying she never worked with Eastwood... She did, in The Bridges of Madison County.Corrected it already ^^
Don't read this.

What did I tell you?!