Notification Tool : The 25 Greatest Working Directors (According to Entertainment Weekly)
Follow what's new with:
The 25 Greatest Working Directors (According to Entertainment Weekly)
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 21st 2013, 02:02
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineHalo_Insider
Hi Halo_Insider,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Halo_Insider

Total Topics: 49, Posts: 3,070
View Predictions
Yes, indeed. For those curious, Entertainment Weekly has updated their annual list of the greatest directors actively working today. To scroll through each director's individual slide (with commentary on the selection), follow the link. Should you simply desire to observe the list, I've posted it below.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20311937_20346922,00.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EW's Top 25 Working Directors

1.    Steven Spielberg
2.    Quentin Tarantino
3.    Martin Scorsese
4.    Kathryn Bigelow
5.    Terrence Malick
6.    David Fincher
7.    Joel and Ethan Coen
8.    Paul Thomas Anderson
9.    Woody Allen
10.  Mike Leigh
11.  Ben Affleck
12.  Christopher Nolan
13.  David O. Russell
14.  Michael Haneke
15.  Darren Aronofsky
16.  James Cameron
17.  Alexander Payne
18.  Ang Lee
19.  Roman Polanski
20.  Peter Jackson
21.  Lars Von Trier
22.  Wes Anderson
23.  Spike Lee
24.  Pedro Almodovar
25.  Clint Eastwood

Feb 21st 2013, 02:44
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinectubuchanan
Hi ctubuchanan,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 20, Posts: 876
View Predictions
Meh, predictable except for mike leigh.

Spielberg #1, as predictable as can be. Tarantino, Scorsese, Coens PTA, Allen and Malick in top 10. Predictable as can be. But... Ben Affleck is the 11th best working director? With 3 movies?
Feb 21st 2013, 03:11
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineseabel
Hi seabel,

seabel

Total Topics: 45, Posts: 1,025
View Predictions
TOO MUCH HOLLYWOOD NAME.
Feb 21st 2013, 04:06
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineNoirJo
Hi NoirJo,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 55
View Predictions
Lol! This list is dreadful with the exception of a few directors. 
Feb 21st 2013, 05:29
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 845
View Predictions
Spielberg at #1. What. A. Shock. Credit for including Haneke, von Trier, Polanski, Malick, Almodovar, and the Andersons. How in the hell is Ang Lee all the way at #18?
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Feb 21st 2013, 05:59
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 2,346
View Predictions
Kinda embarrassing that they put Affleck and David O. Russell ahead of Wes Anderson. I mean...
Feb 21st 2013, 07:33
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineAtypical
Hi Atypical,

Atypical

Total Topics: 122, Posts: 8,368
View Predictions
Affleck being above most of that roster is gross. Next.

"You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."

~ Maya Angelou

Feb 21st 2013, 08:32
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 96, Posts: 10,359
View Predictions
I've been meaning to cancel my subscription to EW for a couple of years now. The ads on the side are becoming more and more sickening for me, and this list of theirs is a very good reminder to just, give it up.

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Feb 21st 2013, 08:49
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineHalo_Insider
Hi Halo_Insider,

Halo_Insider

Total Topics: 49, Posts: 3,070
View Predictions
As I've noticed over the last few years of seeing these, they do tend to base these rankings on what Hollywood filmmakers have been more relevant, so the inclusion of Affleck so high doesn't surprise me (especially given how he was 2012's "Entertainer of the Year"), though I wouldn't quite agree with the placement.

I can't help but feel that, should "Gravity" and "Pacific Rim" be successful, that Alfonso Cuaron and Guillermo Del Toro will easily make this list, next year.  

Personally, while this list might be a bit too Hollywood friendly, I will say that, as Hollywood directors go, those who made the Top 10 were pretty respectable selections, particularly David Fincher, the Coen Brothers, and Paul Thomas Anderson. I'm still not sure why they continuously feel it sufficient to list Scorsese's slide as "it's Martin Scorsese, come on..." when they never rank him above Spielberg, who always gets a rather in-depth analysis.
Feb 21st 2013, 09:21
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBaby Clyde
Hi Baby Clyde,

Baby Clyde

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 956
View Predictions

So 17 of the Top 25 'greatest' directors currently working are American???
Feb 21st 2013, 13:42
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTyler G
Hi Tyler G,

Tyler G

Total Topics: 22, Posts: 440
View Predictions
How can Bigelow be ranked higher than half these people?
Affleck? He has a great track record, but aren't you carried away here?
Tarantino at #2? Come on.
Malick at #5?
And no Jason Reitman? At all? 

This is exactly why we can't have nice things. 

Feb 21st 2013, 13:57
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 845
View Predictions
Quote by Baby Clyde

So 17 of the Top 25 'greatest' directors currently working are American???

Well, Entertainment Weekly isn't exactly Sight & Sound. I'm franky surprised they didn't include Michael Bay.
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Feb 21st 2013, 18:37
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineyoungfella
Hi youngfella,

youngfella

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 7
View Predictions
Replace spike Lee with either jason Reitman or Ridley Scott, then im ok.
Feb 21st 2013, 19:28
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDamianWayne
Hi DamianWayne,

DamianWayne

Total Topics: 13, Posts: 1,282
Even though some people who should have been included are not, it could have been worse... it could have included Joss Whedon.
Feb 21st 2013, 19:42
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineScottferguson
Hi Scottferguson,

Scottferguson

Total Topics: 136, Posts: 11,362
View Predictions
You can tell from that list that Lisa Schwarzbaum has left their staff.

That list is a disgrace, irrespective of some solid names.

Only two directors on it who don't usually make movies in English, when a majority of the best ones working today never have.